Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7736&start_row=11

Understanding Race within Rasta

1 - 1011 - 16
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 9/26/2022 12:28:21 AM

I like this interveiw with Benjamin Vaughn. He mentions we all carbon beings....he speaks on race here from a different perspective than how babylon trie to make us conceptualize race

https://youtu.be/lR11OIZvt40

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/30/2022 3:06:12 PM

@jessep86

Good video. Thanks for sharing it.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 9/30/2022 3:32:05 PM

@seestem

> 4. Can black people be racist?
"Yes, In my country there are 13 tribes, all black people and there is discrimination amongst them, so black people can be tribalist and racist, all people in general can be racist."

what makes tribalism racist when a tribe is not a race?

From my perspective, this idea, this notion, that any kind of division between people can be called racism is problematic.

The propagation of this idea (not you) seeks to release individuals who are racist from the responsibility of being any worse than those who are tribal. Tribalism is based on a completely different set of dynamics that should be thoroughly discussed. For example... when 2 distinct groups live and expand in the same region... eventually they may come into conflict because of the resources of the land. Neither tribe needs to justify the conflict by seeing themselves as superior. They see their own survival as superior. But as long as the issue is proximity, alliances and treaties can be created.

The leaders of two tribes, for example, can combine their families through political marriages. The necessity of the conflict is limited and therefore the needs of the conflict can be otherwise resolved. Perhaps a local well, once fought over, simply stops being "my well" or "his well" and now becomes "our well". Tribes are extensions of families and families can divide and multiply as needed. Race, however, is different.

Where two families might have come together, the racist says that there is always separation because we are like a different species. And so all over the earth, in places where there is no well to fight over, the racist is still a hostile foe. Borders and citizenship don't matter. With a tribe, you can blend in and be accepted by a new tribe. But the zebra cannot change his stripes and still be a zebra. The persistence of racism proves this. Racists want everyone to see racism as a simple competition. But it hides the fact that "us vs them" is based on, not the control of a region, but the power to control culture and the planet itself.

Messenger: seestem Sent: 10/3/2022 4:23:31 PM

@IPXninja

Give thanks for your reply on 7/5/2022 6:34:15 PM, apologies for the late reply. I missed it somehow.

I agree 100% with what the I wrote there. Give thanks for the in depth reply I and I appreciate it.

Messenger: seestem Sent: 10/3/2022 4:34:03 PM

@IPXninja

Replying to the your last comment.

I see now that tribalism was a bad example to use. It is totally different dynamics from racism as you pointed out, and I now see
the negative connotation it gives out to compare the two like that.

Racism today as a concept definitely emerged from the west and in that way I can see why some will say black people cannot be racist, there was no such concept amongst tribes of Africa.

Give thanks.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 10/4/2022 10:28:50 AM

@seestem

Much respect to you for your understanding.

1 - 1011 - 16

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I