Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7716&start_row=1

Safety of cannabis edibles vs smoking

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/29/2022 4:05:28 PM

Rastafari
Give thankhs for this herb, the cannabis plant, the ganja herb.

This subject has me thinking today...

I would think that edibles or tinctures would be safer, less harmful to the body, because we bypass that smoking mechanism which can damage the lungs.

However...
In California it's very easy to get cannabis consumables/ebibles...
So easy that one can accidentally consume them...
True enough they have super clear warnings on them and even sometimes child proof caps... and if anyone reads the label they won't make the mistake..
Yet it happened recently to someone who doesn't even use cannabis at all... 100mg of thc in one serving. And he was on a really bad "trip" for lack of a better word, like mind racing heart racing couldn't sleep (it was sativa), for over 24 hours.. called 911 because he had his heart rate on his watch telling him it was in the cardio range while he was laying down trying to sleep...

It got me thinking... because smoking one bowl of a pipe on average has only 18mg of thc consumed... and also it is in my knowledge impossible to accidentally smoke a bowl or chalice or joint or whatever... so one can never accidentally overdose on smoking...
And even though the effects were not harmful it was more of a temporary state of extreme stress, this event did seem like an overdose for someone whose body has absolutely no tolerance to thc...

I also was thinking how when we smoke the flower we are inhaling more than just the thc compound... and the combination of compounds is what can balance out that mind racing effect from the high thc... isn't it more beneficial to get all of those compounds rather than the isolated thc in drinks like that one or in tinctures? I know when I make tea or cannaoil I am not losing those compounds but in laboratory produced oils and tinctures I think they do isolate them, right?

Also, the edibles, the gummies, the drinks, the tinctures - they all have other ingredients. Maybe it's a stevia, sugar, food colorings, gelatin or wax, maybe it's preservatives. Things that I am not trying to consume, bottom line.

Another thought I had is the word going around that apparently cannabis smokers are less likely to get "covid"... well I am not really sure if that is true, I am not even sure about any of the truth of the whole plandemic at all, but if it is a real thing and I working in a public job with no mask no vaxx and never being ill, maybe it is. The point being, what if lining our lungs in cannabis can actually be beneficial more so than destructive in a sense of smoking? Same way that smoking marshmallow herb can relieve the lungs from asthma...

So I am wondering which is truly safer and of more benefit, to smoke cannabis or to use it from a bottle or a gummie or whatever else... Even if I make my own oil (which I do - just coconut oil and flower) am I losing possible protective benefits that smoking provides?

Give thankhs again JAHfully RASpectfully honoring the herb.

Messenger: King Jam Sent: 5/29/2022 5:13:08 PM

good point. original herb has a cbd content. balancing the highs, when making the edible, i have no idea if this cbd would be included.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/29/2022 10:52:16 PM

Ive never trusted the chemicals involved in making oils and vape liquid from the flower. Butane and all kind of high powa chemical solvents...

Anyway maybe the lesson when it comes to edibles is dont eat anything of which you are unsure of the ingredients. As italists we should know this and therefore be protected from such circumstances

Messenger: Olivebranch Sent: 5/29/2022 11:30:00 PM

The original herbs that were round bout were more natural and had higher healing properties. Now it’s as if all the herbs sold and down commercially are grown to increase the tannins . The chemicals that get you and balance out your high. That’s what the herb is all about now . Marijuanna was different from what is now know as cannabis .

If you could get an original plant or seeds , such as sensimillia or green what they were calling it in Jamaica a few years ago that would be better to make your candy. U can also make you own oil but if you don’t know what u are doing it can hurt u. Use it in its most natural form . I saw the herbs should be used for healing . Purposes. Clarifying the mind . Using to unwind .

Yes when you smoke u injest more than just the herb but also the burn from the paper and the ashes .Whatever chemicals and manure yes manure that some folks use to grow their herbs u are also ingesting this .

Personally I don’t drink those thc drinks . Why not just take a shot of liquor or some wine and hold a gummie.

Messenger: Olivebranch Sent: 5/29/2022 11:30:02 PM

The original herbs that were round bout were more natural and had higher healing properties. Now it’s as if all the herbs sold and down commercially are grown to increase the tannins . The chemicals that get you and balance out your high. That’s what the herb is all about now . Marijuanna was different from what is now know as cannabis .

If you could get an original plant or seeds , such as sensimillia or green what they were calling it in Jamaica a few years ago that would be better to make your candy. U can also make you own oil but if you don’t know what u are doing it can hurt u. Use it in its most natural form . I saw the herbs should be used for healing . Purposes. Clarifying the mind . Using to unwind .

Yes when you smoke u injest more than just the herb but also the burn from the paper and the ashes .Whatever chemicals and manure yes manure that some folks use to grow their herbs u are also ingesting this .

Personally I don’t drink those thc drinks . Why not just take a shot of liquor or some wine and hold a gummie.

Messenger: Olivebranch Sent: 5/29/2022 11:31:22 PM

Cigars are nice too
. They are actually more regulated than cannabis and tobacco DOES have healing properties . Pure grown all natural leaf .

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 6/1/2022 3:53:32 PM

I prefer edibles. But people have to understand. You can overdoes on VITAMINS!!

So thinking the marijuana plant is safe just because it's natural doesn't show enough respect to the question of your body's chemistry.

When it comes to edibles, yes, the OP makes a good point. You may not know exactly how much you are ingesting. I learned this the hard way and passed out at a repass lol. When there's too much THC in my bloodstream it's like I can feel the blood pressure and it can be scary.

But that 7up cake was delicious!

But anyway... you have to treat it like you would vitamins and not take more than the recommended dose. If you do, you're asking for the consequences just like with alcohol.

And some people are allergic so there's that too.

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 7/19/2022 12:45:38 AM

Good questions and insight Sistren.

Here are some of my thoughts on the subject. I sight that cannabis is safe, whether one smokes it, eats it, or drinks it. The healthiest way I think would probably be to eat it or drink it. Or rather than smoke it from a pipe or spliff, InI can sip it from the chalice. The addition of water changes the smoke to more like a cloud vapor, that one sips and not smokes.

So what is going on with edibles? Yes I, they tend to have a much higher amount of THC in them. Some edibles only contain the isolated cannabinoid THC; while other edibles have a "full spectrum" of cannabis compounds, which includes more cannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes. Full spectrum edibles are more wholesome, like smoking flower, ones gets more of that full spectrum of cannabis compounds.

Another thing with edibles is the extraction process. Many cannabis companies use BHO (butane) in their extraction process. Now they claim that the gas is offset and there is not much residue left, still a lil though. I sight that BHO cannot be good for the liver nor the digestive system.

A much cleaner, more natural extraction process is "live rosin", which is solventless. Not to be confused with live resin. So rosin, not resin. This rosin is created by hot or cold pressing the cannabis compounds out of the flower. Much more clean than the BHO, CO2, or distillation processes.

An interesting thing about ingesting cannabis, not everyone will get high from it. Depending on the cannabinoid receptors in ones stomach, there are people who can eat a pound of edibles and not even get feel any effects from it. Everybody is unique. Individuals have to see what works for them. Some take 5mg, others 500mg.

Most people do have those receptors in their stomachs though. So what should one do if they happen to eat an edible and they have a "bad trip"? Well besides just breathing through it, they can take some CBD, which will calm the effects of the THC. Another thing they can do is chew on a few peppercorns. The terpene "caryophyllene", a compound in peppercorn, is a potent selective CB2 antagonist. It increases the sedating effects of THC, which also calm down the effects of THC.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 7/19/2022 5:34:22 AM

Bush herb becoming legal in more and more countries across Europe. High CBD extremely low THC. Many rases i know prefer this than to 'skunk'

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 7/20/2022 4:45:01 PM

Sounds good to I. Flower that is high in CBG is another good one. And CBC has been shown to regrow brain cells.

There is too much cultivating for just high THC alone, when cannabis as a whole has much more to offer. The terpenes of the flower also play a major role on effects of how one feels after the partaking of cannabis.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I