Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7201&start_row=1

Jah Children Shop on homepage

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: The Nomad Sent: 10/7/2019 8:19:38 PM

Is this a registered charity or just more individuals using Rastafari for their own means and benefits? Sorry to sound blunt but that's how it comes across to me. When you click on "about us" , there's nothing. Almost $100 for a coconut chalice, seriously?

Messenger: The Nomad Sent: 10/7/2019 8:35:34 PM

I digress,

$70 dollars for a chalice, built from free, worn out materials picked from the land that takes 5 minutes to make and put together. These people wouldn't need a law degree to make money, if some were fool enough.

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 10/7/2019 11:56:05 PM

Big up Jah Child!...Rastafari creating self sufficiency, working hard to make a living, you're an inspiration to I an I!

Nomad...?the hell is wrong with you!?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 10/8/2019 1:41:17 AM

Nomad,

I am the founder of JAH CHILDREN NPO. It is a legally formulated non-profit organization, and has received non-profit status from the state of California. We are working on federal approval, but the cost of the application is high, so we are raising funds for that right now.

Not one single person has ever received a salary from this organization. Everyone involved, including me, works on a strictly volunteer basis. The only people who have ever gained an income from our work are the artisans that we buy our items from - African and Rasta artisans. So we provide jobs for people in need of income while at the same time raising funds for child outreach.

The chalices you speak of, we bought from a family in Shashemene who has 5 children. We were very happy to provide some income for them. Their prices have increased because of the availability of coconuts (which don't grow in Ethiopia) but we are still trying to maintain a business connection with them. We also have other options in places where coconuts grow, but their prices are also high considering the shipping from those places to our base in California. In order to buy from them and at the same time make a profit for our organization, we have to make the prices as high as they are. If you can make yourself a coconut chalice for free, by all means, do it. But if you want to support an artisan in Africa while also supporting our mission to care for and educate children, you are welcome to buy from us (when we have more in stock).

As for the "About Us" page, I am not sure what you mean by "there's nothing." This is our About Us Page, are you not able to see it? On our About Us page, we have our Mission Statement:

And we also have a full copy of our Bylaws:

I founded this organization because I have seen children suffer, and have experienced it myself too. I am passionate about helping children live a safe and empowered life, and bringing them education that will help them reach their full potential. While we do not have operations on the ground YET, we hope to soon - but obviously this takes extreme funding. While we are fundraising for our own project, we also partner with Uganda Children Redemption Organization and help them to raise funds through our sales website, which is the one linked on the homepage.

I do not need to mention the exact amount of money that I myself have poured into this organization, plus the time and effort I have sacrificed. I receive absolutely no reward for doing this other than the satisfaction of having a purpose in life and always pushing for its achievement.

I also do not need to say how very sad it is that you would come and criticize us for the work we are doing, without even trying to reach out and ask necessary questions to ascertain the validity of our efforts. We have a Contact page on our website, and we also have a Facebook, and we also have shared our email multiple times on this forum (jahchildrennpo@gmail.com), so there are numerous ways you could have inquired for more information. But again, very sad for you to attack us without even putting forth that minimal effort.

It's fine, though. JAH knows my heart and knows the reason I do what I do. I know our efforts will be prospered, with or without the support of you.

-----

SonofMan,
Thankhs for the support, but as I explained to Nomad, it is a fully volunteer based non-profit organization, so none of us "make a living" at all. We only aim to give to needy children.

-----

Anyone who wishes to be involved in the work we do, please email me or go to our Contact page.

Thankhs + Oneness

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 10/8/2019 9:35:36 AM

I appreciate the correction...helping others to get by, out of the kindness of your heart, a beautiful thing.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 10/9/2019 6:18:59 AM

Thankhs SonofMan

And Nomad, the link for the About Us page was indeed broken. I have fixed it now. Thankhs for making me aware of that. Still, the other links worked, and the About Us page is navigable from the Contact page and the Blog page - so you could have still found it if you really tried.

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I