Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7193&start_row=11

Was Sellasie I a part of the fault in Eritrean blood?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 46
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 4/6/2020 12:23:56 PM

I linked a speech that His Majesty gave prior to the annexation of Eritrea, in which he speaks directly to some of the main reasons why Eritrea was annexed in the first place, I recommend your read it.

Know this, Eritrea is Ethiopian land, full stop. It was Italy that got its hooks in Eritrea, and just because they no longer controlled it after 1947, don't think that they weren't still heavily influencing the political structure of Eritrea, spilling their own animosity towards Ethiopia into Eritrean society. Agitators within Eritrea worked hard to fuel that division further, forcing His Majesty's hand into annexing Eritrea. Border disputes and instigation is absolutely on Eritrea, leaving Ethiopia with few options. At what point do you think a King, or any world leader is going to bow to oppositional powers and let His Kingdom fall for the sake of letting a foreign power take over.

You say he put fire between ethnic groups, but the same ethnic strife that existed then exists now. Haile Selassie fought His entire life for the preservation of One Ethiopia....not a plethora of fractioned countries.

Ethiopia would not have a fraction of its current strength if not for His Majesty.

If you believe He was a con man then come with something well informed and objective and it can be reasoned, until that time...do some research and consider formulating an opinion that is based less of your subjective biases and fully on objective reasoning.

Messenger: RasTafarIWork Sent: 4/11/2020 10:18:42 AM

Big Up SunofMan, Truth be told, Defend the Faith.
Kindly foward the link to the said Speech by H.I.M.
The so called exile of H.I.M on the onset of the Second World War, annexation the annexation of Eritrea, and the Ethiopian draught are but some of the propaganda PROPAGATED by the weaked Babylon the Great

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 4/11/2020 12:59:34 PM

http://www.jah-rastafari.com/selassie-words/show-jah-word.asp?word_id=vis_eritrea

Yes I

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/11/2020 1:45:52 PM

Respect SunOfMan

Them thing fall on deaf ears to some a dem.

It's much easier to blindly hate Haile Selassie then it is to come to the realisation that your feelings, that of your parents, and parents parents; were really fueled by the white man. Willie and him frien Lynch come right back again.

Give thanks brethren

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 4/20/2020 11:51:50 AM

Yes SonofMan good explanations and background of it...
Maybe Bomoclaat didnt get the point but the Youth Idren who asked the question did.
Give Ises

Love to all the Idren + Istren on JAH forum!
Rastafari

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 5/3/2020 1:17:14 PM

Yes I
Love, respect and big up fi SonOfMan and JAH Child
One of many situations a jah soldier is here for

Selassie I RasTafarI

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 5/7/2020 4:05:31 PM

Big up to all 1s who stand for His Majesty in truth an right!

Messenger: Bomboclaat1 Sent: 5/9/2020 2:03:57 PM

As an Eritrean, I just can't understand that you as a black uprising group give praises to him. For what my family has experienced during his regime and the fact that he had slaves makes him more of an uncle Tom if you ask me. It was only because of the foreign pressure that he freed the slaves. You can always say that it wasn't the leaders fault. What about Mugabes regime? Is he also just an innocent man when his people show up in your house ready to kill you for speaking the wrong words? Mugabe was a hero too. He did a lot of great stuff before his corruption.

You can ban me now if you want
I have nothing more to say

Messenger: Everton I Sent: 5/9/2020 3:11:04 PM

Uncle Tom?? This is ridiculous ...

Calling His Majesty an uncle Tom is like calling Mussolini a hero. If there is one who stands by his pride as an African, it is Haile Selassie. Everything he did was for Africans. From his conquering of Mussolini to his modernization of Ethiopia to his founding of the African Unity organization and I can go on..

You mention the slaves and outside forces. Which outside forces? UN? You know it was Haile Selassie who got his country in the United Nations right?? Why do you think slaves were freed exactly under his regime? HIM raised it up. Education, health systems, human rights.. IT WAS HIS MAJESTY

No matter what your family has experienced, you cannot blindly hate the king.
As SunofMan wrote "Your criticisms on this forum are born of your experience, which is unique to you, that does not mean they are universal truths"
Have you read the speech SonofMan posted at all?
It doesn't sound like you're studying the other side
The reason why you were banned is because you sound like a spoiled 2 year old kid making allegations without evidence.

You didn't come to have a humble conversation with the I's

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 5/10/2020 12:44:27 AM

As an Eritrean you are born into bias. I don't doubt that your parents and grandparents struggled during His Majesty's rule. But, how were their struggles prior to the annexation of Eritrea? (less). How much did they struggle after His Majesty was deposed? (even more). Is your family Muslim, because that alone will increase the bias, and if your family was part of the Eritrean Liberation Front, then the bias goes through the roof.

Haile Selassie was pushed into integrating Eritrea back into Ethiopia, it was not His plan, yet he accepted it as He knew Ethiopians and Eritreans are one. There was a movement within Eritrea, backed by Muslim elites in Khartoum, funding an uprising of Eritreans (primarily Eritrean Muslims) against Ethiopians....it was Eritrean agitators that worked hard to start the war. Haile Selassie had no choice but to respond (that's what leaders do, or else they get walked on); you have to remember blood was shed hard on both sides, and people suffered deeply on both sides.

Haile Selassie was not a soldier on the ground during any atrocities committed in Eritrea during his reign. He was a man fighting to keep His own country unified while surrounded by corruption. You are merely speculating about His involvement in very specific choices made during His brief involvement in a conflict that would rage on for decades. Choices made in the midst of razing a village aren't made by emperors that are busy running countries hundreds of miles away.

Surely the suffering of Eritreans grew tenfold during the Derg regime's handling of the conflict, as did the suffering of Ethiopians.

As for slavery, it absurd to make the accusation that His Majesty Himself had slaves. It was (and is) against Ethiopian Orthodox Christian law to own slaves, period. He did not own slaves, and feel free to waste your time trying to prove otherwise, it's a dead end. What He did do, was inherit a country wherein a slave trade was deeply ingrained. As Ethiopian Christians were not to own slaves, it was an industry heavily controlled by Muslims both African and Arab. Most Ethiopian slaves were exported, and guess what city was home to the largest exportation of Ethiopian slaves....the Eritrean port of Massawa.

Slavery was going strong when His Majesty inherited Ethiopia, to shut it down was not a matter of just signing off on it. It was a slow process that had to be enforced, and it most certainly pissed off a lot of powerful people that He would have to continue to contend with for years to come.

His Majesty started the abolition of slavery the year He was coronated as Emperor, this was a slow process that took great effort to enforce in 1930s Ethiopia; He rewrote Ethiopia's constitution at the time. This effort then came to a grinding halt when the Italians invaded 4 years later. His abolition efforts only resumed when He returned to the country, and regained stability, but was not able to officially abolish it until 1942 when Ethiopia declared independence from the Italians. His Majesty has been very clear about His feelings regarding the equality of mankind, no one will ever convince me that He held different convictions.

As for Mugabe, I don't care for him at all. He harbors Mengistu to this day, the same man that stole Ethiopian leadership and slaughtered countless Ethiopians and Eritreans. As far as I'm concerned that blood is on Mugabe's hands too, as he harbors this criminal knowing full well what he did. And that's without even getting into what Mugabe's done to his own country.

Don't lump my King in with the likes of any other.

And take the time to educate yourself further. Im not excusing atrocities committed against Eritreans, but that cannot be blamed on His Majesty. There are always at least two sides to a story, you cannot blindly accept one without listening to the other.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 46

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I