Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6593&start_row=1

Rastafari unite

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: John Sent: 7/21/2016 9:41:54 AM

I was thinking it is high time Rastafari put I and I finances and skills together and repatriate to shashamane and work on the land. What do the I think about it ?

Messenger: Jah Seeker Sent: 7/21/2016 10:41:10 AM

yep sure, get me a ticket and job where i can support myself and i family and i'm there!

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 7/23/2016 3:07:09 AM

JAH Oneness
I highly suggest that ones and ones set up means of income in Shashemane before physically coming. I am learning this through experience, I should have made an investment that would make an income, instead of just bringing my savings and trying to start my outreach project. Now that I bought land and started building and planting on it, I see that the money I had saved is not enough to finish establishing the project on the level I want to. And the wages are very very low in Ethiopia, the only way to make a good living is to own the business, not be an employee. Some investments that are sure to give a solid return are transportation vehicles:
+ Bajaj... This is a small motorbike taxi with a sun shade on top and space for three passengers. The price is about 110,000 birr, about 5,000 USDollars. After paying for the gasoline and putting aside a small bit in case of need of repairs on the bajaj in the future, the daily income is going to be about 300 birr, if you hire a driver instead of driving it yourself, you are going to pay him about 100 or 150 birr each day, making your daily net income abour 150 birr.
+ Lada... Another taxi, but the normal car kind. The cost for the vehicle is going to be about 350,000 or 450,000 depending how nice the condition is. The daily income is hard to estimate because they dont have these in Shashemane yet... Not that I have seen. But in Addis the lada cost about 100 birr for a 10 minute drive, if the I can imagine that adds up fast... In Addis it is easy to spend over 1000 birr per day on lada, so I imagine their daily income is at least this much. But if u want to bring a lada to Shashemane you may have to lower the fare price, because Addis is expensive and people dont have as much cash in Shashemane. Again you have to pay the driver if you are not going to drive it yourself.
+ Minibus.. Usually this van holds 18 passengers at a time, and it can go to and from Addis/Shashe or Shashe/Awassa. The fare per person to Addis is 150 birr. The fare per person to Awassa is 20 birr I think. Depending which destination, the minibus can go twice per day or ten times per day. So the I can calculate the income based on which place the I want to go. Again the gas and the incident savings, and the driver's wage is going to be taken out of the gross daily income.
+ Dump truck.. This is a huge, metal vehicle, usually people use it to transport rocks from the quarry or cement blocks from the people who mix them, or to bring buna or fruits from Arbaminch to Awassa. The price is very high, about 1.2 million birr, but the monthly income is going to be at least 100,000 birr, maybe more.
I dont know why the transportation businesses seem to be some of the best options, maybe it us just who I am talking to, but I havent seen any other area of business that makes a solid wage for the amount of investment capital needed.
By the way the exchange rate from birr to dollar is about 23 to 1 now. Like I said I would try to set up some kind of business like this before coming to Shashemane, that way when the I forward there will already br a good income coming in.
Even working on your own land and just growing your food, the I still need a cash income because there is a yearly property tax for your land.
Blessed Love + Guidance

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 7/23/2016 11:18:45 AM

Practical, non romantic and realistic advise!

Give thankhs sistren!

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 7/23/2016 1:41:24 PM

Real!

Messenger: Child of the Dirt Sent: 7/26/2016 5:43:48 PM

How is the soil in Ethiopia

Can crops be brought to harvest effectively?

Is there trash piles to make tree houses with.

When ini went to new orleans ini lived on a commune with a food garden and treehouses made out of trash piles

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 8/11/2016 7:06:57 PM

Blessed Love All
Idren Mars, the soil is very fertile and the rainy season waters the crops naturally. Fruit trees, grains, vegetables, tubers and root vegetables, and herbs all grow plentifully. Coconut is the only one that I know of that wont fruit in this soil because there is not enough salinity (Ethiopia is not coastal).
I dont often see trash heaps.. People seem to burn their trash. But that might be an option to collect it if the I wanted to use that for building. The more traditional way is a Chika house, it is made with verticle pieces of eucalyptus trunks, then covered in the mud from red soil from very deep in the ground. The roof us usually corrogated steel or zinc, or thatch roof. Another common way is concrete bricks or stone from the quarry. Either way the I decide to build there will be a one-time fee of at least 10,000 birr to make the Kebelay allow the building to go up, and yearly property tax (usually 100 birr per year) after that.
More Ises JAH

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I