Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=658&start_row=1

When one say's "I self" what does "I" relate to ???

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Lump Sent: 2/23/2005 11:57:33 AM

Goodmorning,

Im just trying to get a better understanding of the rasta religion. and when i listen to Bob Marley I always hear him refer to hisself as "I" and not usually "me" or "myself".

What is "I" in the rasta religion ?

Messenger: def Sent: 2/23/2005 2:23:16 PM

BLESSED LOVE

GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS

1 AND 1 OR I AND I

Awo 1, notice that I can also be written as 1, when written as 1 it can also be spoken as it is read (one). The use of I thus serves the purpose of bringing unity amongst all peoples (1dren), because there is no longer me and you but the realization of 1 and 1.

Awo 1 and all and all the same.

I is the latin number for one.

When 1 writes 1 self it can be seen to be relating to a soul. In using this it denouces the ego of who the 1 believes to be (eg the 1' s gender, the 1' s name, what the 1 does for a job and where the 1 lives etc).

Hope this helps the 1 overstand.

PEACE AND LOVE

GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS
GIVE THANKS

BLESSED LOVE

Messenger: Lump Sent: 2/23/2005 2:25:44 PM

its my real world nick name, had it before birth.

Messenger: Lump Sent: 2/23/2005 7:37:41 PM

lol

naw it's my real world "nickname". and yes I had it before birth, before they put my government name on my birth-certificate and even before i came out the womb they called me Lump.

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 2/23/2005 10:21:56 PM

I is a most powerful word sound. I AM that I AM. Haile Sellassie the first is that I AM that I AM.

I have been asked and even mocked for saying "Haile Sellassie I" instead of reading it as "Haile Sellassie the first".. what ones must overstand is that "I" is referring to Haile Sellassie being I, I do not call myself a Rastafarian, I am Rastafari. HIM dwells in I.

Thus "I and I" or "InI" is taking it to that higher heights where we are all ONE, each is a reflection of Iself. No more difference between "you" and "me". Some use the term "InI" to refer to themselves as they are with the Most High (Most I) rather than a physical plural. His Majesty spoke in terms of "We" rather than saying "I" or "me"... something to meditate on.

Guidance

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/23/2005 10:55:51 PM

I answer is the same as Sis Menen I.

I is the fundamental of RasTafarI livity and the fundamental of Jah RasTafarI. It represents all of We as One in God, as I. That is why RasTafarI people say RasTafar-I, instead of RasTafaree(traditional pronounciation), and why I and I say Haile Selassie I. But we also say Haile Selassie the first from time to time.

As Bunny Wailer sing,

-----------------
In the beginning, there was but one concept,
And that's the concept of I.
Then arose Apollyon, the Devil
- Satan! Satan! -
claiming that it's you and I.
And from that day on,
There was trouble in the world,
And the world goin' astray.
-----------------
For more lyrics from this song, check:
OVERSTANDING THE ROOT OF SIN

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Doctor Binghi Sent: 2/23/2005 11:09:57 PM

Welcome, Lump. Blessed Be

I respect that name, and had a feeling it refered to that as soon as I read it. If we ever meet face to face, I will only call you Lump.

I agree fully with the way SisMenenI answered your question, but would like to add something.

"I and I" can mean "me and you" or "me and Jah" or "you and Jah"

Also, we take everything personally (so to say) for example, we say "Inity" in place of "Unity" and "Idren" sometimes in place of "Bredren and Sistren" but can also be used to address another single Ras ...almost.. formally, seen?

We address eachother (or eachIther) as "The I" ..hard to reword, but think about it... You can take it to refer to -Jah in that person, or to -yourself in that person, you follow me?

"I People" is Jah people... but also my people, and so on... "I" as a word is infinite, as is Jah. "Iself" can refer to me, or you, or the next Ras... you know? Whether you or me or him.. is all "I".

You asked a good question, that has an easily overstood answer, but is hard to put into words. Think about the word, Idren, and any other words Rastas use that no-one else does. These words make much more sense, in a way, than Babylon's English.

I hope this was some help to the I. Blessed Love and Respect

-----------Selassie I--------------

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 2/24/2005 12:31:37 AM

I is also the begining of mans consciousness. "I", specifically seperates man from all of other life. I is the step forward into the conscious acknowledment of yourself as a life in existence.

Haile Selassie I Jah Rastafari

Ras Zion I

Messenger: Lump Sent: 2/24/2005 12:47:04 AM

Doctor Binghi lol @ the nick name comment, lol coo everyone calls me lump even my moms still does.

but like you was saying how "i" can relate to numerious meanings it reminds me of almost the 5%'ers slang

when they call themselfs and each other "God"

like "Sup god ?" or "they dont know the God"

thanks for the help too by the way.

Messenger: Ras TajarI Sent: 2/25/2005 3:57:57 PM

O.K.

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I