Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6566&start_row=1

Just trying to learn...

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Dono Sent: 6/18/2016 9:57:21 AM

Greetings, My name is Donovan, I have been trying to research what Rastafarian believe but while doing so I kept on remembering that I cannot rely on mainstream internet sites to get the truth about people because it is very likely that those articles were written by people who are not Rastafarian and therefore will likely not be accurate. So if it would be okay, I would like to ask a few questions as long as it does not make anyone uncomfortable.
I just wanted to get accurate information, and when you are trying find out more about anyone, its best to go ask them not someone else who may not even know for sure, just like if someone wanted to know more about me I would hope they wouldn't listen to someone who doesn't even necessarily even like me.
So I tried to do some research because my interest was peaked by your use of the name Jah.
So my questions at the moment are about that.

1. Does that name refer to the shortened familiar personal name of God Jehovah?

2. And if so do you believe that he sent his Son to earth to teach us expanded understanding of the scriptures?

3. Do you believe that God is the Son, or that they merely work together as we would hope our children would learn from us and become like us?

4. Do Rastafarian really believe that the true message of the Bible has been corrupted by Mainstream religions?

Again I have seen how some others people have become very upset about questions like these and I am not trying to start any trouble, I just really want to know the truth about the foundations of Rastafarian belief.

Messenger: ConsciousRas Sent: 6/18/2016 11:15:01 PM

Greetings my lord,
Iman do not really follow religion in todays time. I do not lock iself on one thing rather i explore and see divinity of God in everything. One religion does not have to exemplify the divinity of the Creator more than other religions. On that note i will offer i best ipinion in regards to the i question.
About the name Jah, ive also encountered the fact that its derived from jehovah.
I honesty do not think Rastafari and christianity are tied together though there many aspects that are similar. I was introduced to Rastafari and was doctrinatrd by use of the bible. Soon i had to cut that off i and went to i traditional roots. Kush traditions. There are more teachings in i tradition that i value than todays religion.
I also trace i roots from the beginning of time to Kemet, and used it to learn more about the origin of man. A lot of things have been borrowed from there.
I have also noticed that this website is predominantly christian based with bible views. Its quite alright but theres no other scriptures from the east like the tao te ching, bhagavad gita or the ancient buddha. Ther may be some but very little. Thus i tend to avoid any talks of christianity for its saturated with confusion.
I best ipinion i can offer the i is to seek within, open i third eye, listen more talk less and observe the nature around you. Learn and keep learning. Rastafari is a movement without class or any division. Talk with people of different mind but not too much for some will cause more confusion lol.
At the end it is up to the i to choose wisely for the ideas are i trod.
I am sure another bredrin in the site will offer wise words to the questions the man has asked. This is a good place to start learning.

Blessed love my lord. Oneness foriver.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/18/2016 11:28:51 PM

Greetings Donovan
The first answer to your questions is that RastafarI does not have a defined doctrine of theological beliefs that are subscribed to across the board. Some Rasta may say yes to all four questions, and others may say no to all four. Each person has their own mental capacity and needs to use their own mind to reason on these matters. Paying attention to the reasoning of each individual is going to get more accurate answers than applying one person's answers to the entire movement.
The next answer is that beLIEve is not usually a part of RastafarI reasoning. Better to Know, I&I say. So when you phrase those questions as 'do you believe' such and such, some people are going to say No, because it is not about belief.
I will answer these four questions with my personal views, now that I have given the disclaimer that this is a reasoning and not defining all of the ideas of all RastafarI.

1. Yes that is the beginning of the use of JAH in Rastafari, because in older versions of the bible, the name JAH is used ("Extol him by his name, JAH.") However, when I say JAH I am not referring to a bible god who loves the smell of burning flesh, orders his people to murder babies and womban in genocide of other tribes, and sets up a metaphysical payment system in which only death and blood can redeem his beautiful creation from sin. I am referring to the Almighty of the Universe, the seed of divinity that is in each one of us, and I am referring to His Imperial Majesty Qedamawi Haile Selassie.

2. I am very interested that your reasoning for "his Son" I am guessing this refers to Jesus? coming to earth, not to be sacrificed for mankind, but to teach them more about the writings. From reading the things attributed to that character, if he was a real person in history, I would agree that his mission (judging by his actions) had a lot more to do with teaching people about their divine link to the Creator than it had to do with spilling his blood for them.

3. It is clear in those writings what the jesus character is trying to tell people. "I am in the father, and he is in me, and I am in you." Yes the Almighty is One with all JAH children, not only the man in that story; even in the story this idea is apparent.

4. Yes absolutely, the message has been perverted, this is a fact. Nicaea 325AD is an early and clear example of mainstream religion inventing spiritual dogma and filtering writings to go along with their message. This is where the "born of a virgin, the only Son of God, the father, son, and holy spirit," doctrine comes from.

I am not offended by your questions, just as I hope you are not offended by my answers.
Blessed Love

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/18/2016 11:32:12 PM

Great reasoning Idren ConsciousRas =)
Give thankhs for sharing the I views

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/19/2016 10:57:31 AM

Greetings Donovan,

Yes, JAH is typically associated with Jahovah, however this too has its origins from IAO coming from the Nile valley civilizations.

"IO" would later become the "IAO" which became "IAH" and"JAH", and its still further the form of the great Tetragrammaton, the Cabalistic "J H V H". We see with the evolution of "IO" into "IAO" and "JAH" and even later into "JHVH".

And so even the book of Revelation, this becomed: "I" (am the) "A" (and the) "O", the beginning and the end, the first and the last,"--IAO.

"IO" would later become the "IAO" which became "IAH" and"JAH", and its still further the form of the great Tetragrammaton, the Cabalistic "J H V H". We see with the evolution of "IO" into "IAO" and "JAH" and even later into "JHVH".

Horus was called "Iusa/Iao/Iesu/Iusha" the "KRST," with Iusha even contributing to the name of Jesus which in Hebrew of course is Yeshua (Iusha). In the Old Testament, it is Joshua (Iusha) son of Jacob.

Messenger: Dono Sent: 6/19/2016 9:24:57 PM

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am often disappointed by internet resources and the inaccurate information they dispense. This was very enlightening and a lot different than I have read.

I too have observed how much mainstream religions have perverted the truth and teach that our Creator is cruel and enjoys inflicting pain. This is unthinkable from my viewpoint that he would feel that way according to everything I have come to learn about him as well.

I also know how it feels to be misrepresented, "Babylon the Great" doesn't like Jehovah's Witnesses either, and have spread many falsehoods about us. I am glad I came here and asked you so I can learn straight from the source.

Thank you again, peaceful travels to you.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/21/2016 9:12:38 AM

If you read and believe in the bible in its entirety..... Then you cant escape the fact that bible god displays 'cruel' behaviour. As according to many stories. Lets see, why he have to harden pharoahs heart? Why when invading Canaan were the israelites instructed to take (rape) the women and slaughter all of the men? Etc etc. What are the jehovah witness thoughts toward this behaviour? Or the sanctioning of slavery? Luckily for Rastafari and with Ras Tafari we have a much more stable (and living) example of righteousness than displayed by bible god(/s). Jah Child response was on the mark earlier in this thread, Jah (for I) surpass what can be gained from Jehova, longtime.

Wise up and rise up.
Black love

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 6/23/2016 12:30:39 PM

Blessed love to one and all..

So donovan, if u are a jehovas witness, doesnt jehovas witness have (had) a prophecy that "jesus" christ would return in the year 1915, or was it 1917..?? To set up his kingdom..

This happens to co-relate with the year that Tafari became Negus Tafari and started to exercise rule over Ethiopia.. think about that and meditate over it to sight who this man is..

Almighty I Selassie I JAH Ras Tafari

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/27/2016 2:05:19 AM

Ises Ras TafarI
Give thankhs everyOne for the reasoning.. Not sure Donovan is still here with us but if so I'd like to know the answers to some of the things GA and BCS brought up! I don't know much about Jehovahs Witness except that they dont celebrate birthdays! Donovan feel free to share more about the background and ideas of JW, I am interested in your views.
SIstren I apprecilove the linguistic study always; also I want to point out that the name Yah (Jah) is often linked to Iah, one of Kemet Neteru. Another thing, not sure Joshua in the bible old testament is one of the 12 sons of Jacob/Israel... if I recall Joshua is part of the generation born in the desert after the exodus, and conquering the land of Canaan... actually yes I am going to check now, whose son is Joshua? and guess what I see??
Joshua (Iusa/Heru as the I explained) is the son of NUN. Well if this isn't a reference to NU or NUT, I don't know what is... Of course Heru is the son of Nut, because she gives birth to him every morning (Ra, Heru, KhepRa)!

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/27/2016 6:41:43 AM

Seen sis! Good eye! This prompted I to do a quick research:

Joshua the son of Nun. The name “Joshua” was actually found on a tablet from ancient Egypt, dating from about this same period. This may not have been the Biblical Joshua, but it does show that this name was used at that period of history.

Exodus mentions “Joshua Son of Nun” and the “ Priest Of On” (Anu)

He came as Joshua (Jesus) son of Nun, and Nun is the fish in Hebrew!

When Horus died, Isis implored Ra, the sun, to restore him to life. Ra stopped his ship in mid-heaven and sent down Thoth, the moon, to bring him back to life. The stopping of the sun and moon by Isis recalls the myth of the stopping of the sun and moon by Joshua.

The only time 'Nun' is mentioned inside of the scriptures is to say that 'Nun' is the father of Ya`shua. The Kemetic God 'Nun' is a primal water deity which is synonymous to the Canaanite deity 'Yaw/Yam'. Moses introduced the god 'Yah' which I believe to be 'Yaw' of the Canaanites. Moses introduced the Kemetic God 'Yah' to the table which I believed to be Moses. I believe Ya`shua to be the son of Aharon/Akhenaten and Ya`shua's true name to be Tutankhamen.

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I