Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6540&start_row=1

REVOLUTION WITH WORDS

1 - 8
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/2/2016 8:31:00 PM

BLACK POETRY: REVOLUTION WITH WORDS

PERFORMANCE TO TEACH LITERACY, POETRY, HISTORY AND CULTURE

Thousands of years ago African storytellers memorized the history of their tribes and put it to words and song. These storytellers called themselves Jollees.

Kings would provide housing, food and shelter for these special storytellers, who were also called upon to settle disputes and give advice to the rulers.

When Africans were brought to this hemisphere as slaves in the 1500s, they brought with them an ancient tradition of talking to the beat: what we would call rapping today.

Slaves in the United States, influenced by the rap of their African heritage, sent coded messages in the form of songs and drumbeats. Using words in rhythm to deliver messages (either secret or public) is a very effective use of language.

Even today people use chanting and slogans when they demonstrate politically. Advertisers harness the power of that technique in commercial jingles.

Rap music is often controversial and hard hitting, making full use of the power of words and rhythm honed by centuries of use.
The Ashantes of Africa call their version Opo verses; in Jamaica it’s called chatting and in Trinidad it’s dubbing or Mamaguy. In Western Europe it is called poetry.

AFRICAN GRIOTS LIVE

Yet rap is an African-American invention. Just as African-American culture developed its own recognizable musical heritage in jazz music, rap too has become a signature not only of African-American culture but the culture of modern youth as they express opinions and look for answers. Stretching boundaries and blurring the lines of art, culture, politics, and society, rap goes beyond music, lyrics and poetry with performances that inspire young audiences to look beyond the surface of all that they experience to find their own voice. .

Following our look at the records of the Beat generation, we turn our attention to the emancipatory spoken word of black poets recording in the ’60s and ’70s, whose outspoken activism changed the conversation around Civil Rights in the USA and helped lay the foundations for hip hop in the process.

The late 1960s and 1970s also produced an unprecedented amount of powerful, politically-driven poetry. Much of this revolutionary verse was written for live performance and this, together with the poets’ near-universal use of instrumental accompaniment, sometimes by a single conga drum, sometimes by a larger group, meant their work transferred well to disc. The demotic language the poets favoured also helped them reach a broader audience than poetry traditionally enjoyed. On the timeline of emancipatory expression, the revolutionary poets and their musicians are the precursors of hip hop and modern rap

THE BLACK VOICES: ON THE STREET IN WATTS™ 1960's

Probably the best-known album of revolutionary black poetry of its period, The Last Poets – recorded by Abiodun Oyewole, Alafia Pudim (later known as Jalal Nuriddin) and Omar Ben Hassen, accompanied by conga drummer Nilaja – spends as much time berating African Americans for not resisting white racism more effectively, as it does on attacking white racism itself.

THE LAST POETS – FOR THE MILLIONS

YOU MUST LEARN-KRS 1

MUTABARUKA - MELANIN MAN

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/2/2016 10:48:19 PM

Hail I Goddess.
This post seems full of great Ixamples of wordsoundpower.. wish I could watch the videos =/ but also glad the I posted them for others who can watch!
JAH guidance + Love

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 6/3/2016 7:14:14 AM

To "RAP" in the US long before the music genre came about always meant to conversate/to talk to but usually associated with passing on some type of information or romancing the opposite sex, I guess that can be seen along the lines of poetry

HIP meant "to know/make known"
HOP meant a type of party or dance event
Atleast where I grew at

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/4/2016 1:21:37 PM

Seen VoodooRuutz, definitely can be defined as poetry. The rythm of our soul, voices, hips, lips, talk, praises, humor, fire...nothin' but melanin in poetic motion Iyah! :)

Sistah Queen JAH CHILD, INI think of you every time I post a video. Guess di I have to use that First Eye until you reach a location with better service. You have nuff to catch up on, video wise, when ya forward! No worries, di I have much blessed vibez inna Ithiopia that faaaaar surpass the video bizznezz! Enjoy every second of it Sis!

RASTAFARI LOVE ITINUALLY

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/5/2016 7:34:05 AM

Came in here to post some Last Poetz videos but you got that covered! Give thanks for the knowledge. We are a creatively expressive people!

Edit: Id say Vaughn one of I favourite poets in this Iwa

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/5/2016 9:50:45 AM

I ABSOLUTELY and UNEQUIVOCALLY agree Garveys!!!

A lyrical genius Iyah!

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 6/5/2016 9:53:02 AM

Great Zimbabwe Walls

Economic liberation is a duty
I owe to posterity great
Zimbabwe stand ancient rock solid firm
Come now Draco go down
Yeah hm yeah hm yeah

Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls

When they saw Zimbabwe walls
They said it was the Phonecian
They said it was the Syrian
They said it was the Chinese
When they saw Zimbabwe walls
They said it came from the Iberian
We know it is one hundred percent African
Yaga yo naga naga nyiyi

Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls

So who your Vasco de Gama be
So who Prince Henry your navigator be
So who was your Sir Walter Raleigh
So who was Amerigo Vespucci
Some kind a Johnny-come-lately
Talking bout them mek some kind a discovery
I man is the living anthropology
I man is the living archeology
Yaga yaga yo

Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls hm
Zimbabwe walls

Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls

When they built up the Aswan Dam
It was the western archeologist plan
To flood rich historical Sudanese land
Afraid of the glory of the Nubian
Afraid you will see your connection
Yoga yo yogo yogo yo
To Zimbabwe yeah yeah yeah

Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Yeah hm mm yeah hey hm
Yeah hey hm hm

So who your Vasco da Gama be
So who Prince Henry your navigator be
So who was your Sir Walter Raleigh
So who your Christopher come bluff us
I man is the living archeology
They talking bout them mek
Some kind of discovery
I man is the living anthropology

Zimbabwe com now stand firm yeah
Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls

Corresponding mathematical elliptical constants
In Egypt, Axum, Zimbabwe and Mexico
African Botanical strains of cotton
And corn in America and you know
Yeah hm yeah yeah yeah

We can trace our steps thru
Botany and etymology
You can’t hide the truth forever from we
Can’t hide the truth forever from we yeah
We heme mesu what is revealed is only right and due

We are standing on the soil that made you
Are you standing on the soil that made you
Standing on the soil that made you yeah
Ya go yaga yaga iyi

Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls
Great Zimbabwe walls

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 6/5/2016 10:11:01 AM

Yes Goddess true... Real life always surpasses watching videos, no matter the location! Its the knowledge sharing I&I miss. Give thankhs still, its great for others to be able to learn =) Fulljoy

1 - 8

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I