Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6479&start_row=1

Perspective

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 4/7/2016 10:07:36 PM

I am watching a show called weediquette on a channel called viceland. Each episode is a topic related to ganja. It is an informative show about various topics surrounding ganja.

In the episode I am watching now the host of the show is in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The host is American, but his lineage is East Indian, and his skin color is mid range between the lightest and darkest Indian, maybe slightly closer to dark. In the show a few people from the Congo made comments referring to him as a white man. I found it interesting how people's perspective can be so different. In some places the host would be viewed as an Indian, other places he would be viewed as a Muslim, other places as a brown or dark man and in other places a white man.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/8/2016 5:07:22 AM

Generally speaking, in black countries we tend to call anything and everything whe not the darkest of black, white. Thats not to say the people don't realise and differentiate them from the white european. Im sure the people of the congo know the Indian different from the Belgian. But white is synonymous with light outside of the construct of western societies where white = euro

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 4/8/2016 10:45:31 AM

I remember a conversation about some Mexicans and some fellowsmade the comment that "if e aint black e white". Now the Mexicans were light skin but their features were AmerIndian. Some time Indians maybe dark but hair and facial features maybe similar to Europeans. Even "white" Hispanics say they aint white but a white American is white. Peoples perspectives are very different from place to place.

Then u have some what call Louisiana Creole who may be "Passe Blanc" (pass for/look white) but are said to be black

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/8/2016 10:46:41 AM

Indeed Garveys. I know some light skinned Jamaicans who grew up being affectionately called "whitey", even by their own darker family members who are, naturally, well aware that they are black.

It is the context in which the term is used. You have darker skinned black Americans who have visited Afrika and been called "white", this referencing their mindset and ways, more so then degrees of melanin.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/8/2016 10:50:27 AM

Right VDR. And some of dem Passe Blanc will slice you if you deny them their Afrikan heritage, while others wear it like a badge of honor.

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 4/8/2016 12:36:47 PM

Goddess u right bout context even in here we do that and when someone has a "mixed" child some will say so n so had a lil white baby. A Nigerian told me his family referred to his lightskin American wife as white and even him to an extent because of being in the states for so long.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/8/2016 1:47:18 PM

In Jamaica you can be black and be called everything apart from black

Dark black is blue
Black is brown
Medium tan is red
Lightskin is white

Having said that. "White boy" and "white man" seems to ALWAYS refer to the european ..... As opposed to ..... "The boy white!" Which probably means light skin

Dont know about you but all makes perfect sense to I, lol

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 4/8/2016 3:22:15 PM

I knew a few light skin fellows with the nick name "white boy".
A certain medium brown tone will be called "red",
really dark they may say "blue-black" or "tar-black" or just "black-black-black"
With light skin it can be "red" or "yellow" or "creole"

Sad thing is there was almost always some negativity associated with being really dark and sometime with being really light, even with family members. Dark people were more often seen as ugly especially if they were "picky head".

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/8/2016 5:39:39 PM

Makes perfect sense to I as well! LOL @ Garveys.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 4/8/2016 5:45:54 PM

This is why InI reject European definitions of who we are, such as mulatto, half breed, quadroon, octoroon, etc..., including those we have attributed to ourselves, such as high yellow, creole, red, and so on.

BLACK WI BLACK

From the darkest to the lightest of the Afrikan rainbow spectrum.

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I