Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6464&start_row=11

BELGIUM AND HER COLONIAL DEMONS

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 30
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/24/2016 6:25:56 PM

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/24/2016 8:31:44 PM

The people of his village and his wife and children were killed before he was taken. He was out hunting when it happened. They were killed by King Leopold's militia.

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 3/24/2016 9:12:02 PM

He remarried from another tribe when he returned from the USA

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/25/2016 10:13:24 AM

Belgium is an insular country. It lives like history happens outside of it

MARCH 26, 2014 by CHIKA UNIGWE

Years ago, Karel De Gucht, the present European Commissioner for Trade, referred to Kofi Annan, then Secretary General of the UN on TV as an “Évolué” which was the term colonial Belgians used to refer to the Congolese who had “evolved” and become more westernized (i.e. “civilized”). “Évolués” had to do exams to show how “civilized” they had become and got certificates if they passed. De Gucht meant of course that Annan was not your “typical African.” Was there an outrage? No. “De Gucht was not being disparaging. He was praising Kofi Annan,” was the usual response.

In 2007, when Barack Obama was running for US president, there was a question about him on Canvascrack, a popular national TV quiz show. The question was the technical term for a child of mixed parentage. The phrasing was a lot more offensive than I have suggested (Obama is the son of a N**** from Kenya and a white mother, etcetera). The answer was “Mulato.” I expected someone in the audience to stand up and call the quiz master to order. No one did. The show went on as normal. I wrote a piece denouncing it. Not only was the question wrong, but of all things to ask on Obama, it had to be that? I got a few comments from well meaning Belgians who told me that “mulato” and the “N word” are not as historically charged in Belgium as in other parts of the world and are therefore not offensive terms. I was told not to be too quick in seeing offense. And a friend of the quizmaster told me what a lovely person he really was.

When I was a city councillor in Turnhout, Belgium, a colleague, upset at our Mayor’s expectation that we toe the line said, “we are not all N****s that we just nod. We are thinking humans!” The colleague who said this, I must admit, is one of the nicest people I know. He always gave me rides to meetings and so on but once he said that, it became obvious to me that he did not think we were equals. I mentioned this in an article I wrote a while ago and again, I got mails from people telling me about how it was not a racist thing to say, that it has been in use for a long time and that really there is a historical context for this. In the 60s, cars had bobbing black heads, and I shouldn’t be quick to take offense. And did not I say my colleague was a nice man?

When the leading Belgian newspaper De Morgen, which styles itself as progressive, published an image of Obama and his wife as chimps and passed it off as satire, they did not expect a backlash. They assumed that their readers would laugh and move on, and it would be business as usual. This assumption was rooted in two facts:

The first is that as a block, black people in Belgium have no political or economic voice and are therefore of very little consequence. They were not high on De Morgen’s consideration list when they published that article. There are no black newscasters (to my knowledge); very few black journalists (certain none in De Morgen as far as I know); my children were never taught by black teachers; I never saw a black bank clerk. There might be a black police man in Brussels, I have never seen any anywhere in Belgium. In fact, when Turnhout got its first black cab driver (about five years ago), we rejoiced.

The second fact is that there is a certain level of racial dementia in Belgium. There is an inability to judge what is racially offensive and what is not. Belgium has never confronted its colonial past and has therefore never moved on from it. There is a statue celebrating Leopold despite the atrocities he committed in the Congo. Zwarte Piet (with the black face, red lips and the kinky wig, reminiscent of the golliwog, so popular in neighboring Netherlands that even the Prime Minister gets into blackface) is considered a national treasure in Belgium.

Employers can say (and have said) “I do not want a black worker” without much fear of punishment. (Here’s a variation on that excuse.) The black immigrant is still expected to be grateful for the chance to live in Belgium and eat at the “Massa’s table” and not ruffle feathers.

Things will only change when Belgium realizes that no country is an island, that there are consequences for actions and that yes, the world has moved on. The media outcry outside Belgium at De Morgen’s misguided racist satire (and the apology from De Morgen) is already a start. The act of apologizing is a big step in the right direction (if only because as far as I know, this is the first time a Belgian media outlet has ever acknowledged, much less apologized for being offensive) even if the apology itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 3/25/2016 10:41:33 AM

A sad thing but I personally have no oroblem with open racist. I much rather them in your face racist tthan them behind your back ones.

Thats the more reason for African unity and building up and to stay out of dem countries.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/25/2016 5:02:00 PM

The CIA, Belgium and the Assassination of an African Hero
By Kevin Whitelaw

"The day will come when history will speak... Africa will write its own history... it will be a history of glory and dignity." - Patrice Lumumba

It was the height of the Cold War when Sidney Gottlieb arrived in Congo in September 1960. The CIA man was toting a vial of poison. His target: the toothbrush of Patrice Lumumba, Congo's charismatic first prime minister, who was also feared to be a rabid Communist.
As it happened, Lumumba was toppled in a military coup just days before Gottlieb turned up with his poison. The plot was abandoned, the lethal potion dumped in the Congo River.

When Lumumba finally was killed, in January 1961, no one was surprised when fingers started pointing at the CIA. A Senate investigation of CIA assassinations 14 years later found no proof that the agency was behind the hit, but suspicions linger.

Today, new evidence suggests Belgium, Congo's former colonialist ruler, was the mastermind. According to The Assassination of Lumumba, a book published recently in Belgium by sociologist Ludo de Witte, Belgian operatives directed and carried out the murder, and even helped dispose of the body. Belgian authorities are investigating, but officials admit de Witte's account appears accurate.

Does that mean the CIA didn't play a role?

Declassified U.S. cables from the year preceding the assassination bristle with paranoia about a Lumumba-led Soviet Communist takeover. The CIA was hatching plots against Cuban leader Fidel Castro and was accused of fomenting coups and planning assassinations worldwide.

And Lumumba clearly scared the daylights out of the Eisenhower administration. "In high quarters here, it is the clear-cut conclusion that if [Lumumba] continues to hold high office, the inevitable result will [have] disastrous consequences . . . for the interests of the free world generally," CIA Director Allen Dulles wrote. "Consequently, we conclude that his removal must be an urgent and prime objective."

Even out of office, Lumumba remained under the microscope of Western spy services. His ties to Moscow frightened Washington. His fierce anti-colonialism unnerved Brussels. Belgium finally got its chance at Lumumba after Congolese authorities arrested him in December 1960.

Belgian officials engineered his transfer to the breakaway province of Katanga, which was under Belgian control. De Witte reveals a telegram from Belgium's African-affairs minister, Harold d'Aspremont Lynden, essentially ordering that Lumumba be sent to Katanga. Anyone who knew the place knew that was a death sentence.

Firing squad. When Lumumba arrived in Katanga, on January 17, accompanied by several Belgians, he was bleeding from a severe beating. Later that evening, Lumumba was killed by a firing squad commanded by a Belgian officer. A week earlier, he had written to his wife, "I prefer to die with my head unbowed, my faith unshakable, and with profound trust in the destiny of my country." Lumumba was 35.

The next step was to destroy the evidence. Four days later, Belgian Police Commissioner Gerard Soete and his brother cut up the body with a hacksaw and dissolved it in sulfuric acid. In an interview on Belgian television last year, Soete displayed a bullet and two teeth he claimed to have saved from Lumumba's body.

What remains unclear is the extent, if any, of Washington's involvement in the final plot. A Belgian official who helped engineer Lumumba's transfer to Katanga told de Witte that he kept CIA station chief Lawrence Devlin fully informed of the plan. "The Americans were informed of the transfer because they actively discussed this thing for weeks," says de Witte. But Devlin, now retired, denies any previous knowledge of the transfer.

Either way, Lumumba's death served its purpose: It bolstered the shaky regime of a formerly obscure colonel named Joseph Mobutu. During his three-decade rule, Mobutu would run his country, bursting with natural resources, into the depths of poverty. It took a civil war to oust him, and Congo has seen little peace since.

Today, at least five countries are fighting in Congo and Lumumba's son, an opposition leader, spent several weeks in a Kinshasa jail cell on politically motivated charges.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/25/2016 5:04:49 PM

This is a GREAT movie about Patrice Lumumba that I had the pleasure of seeing at the Pan Afrikan Film Festival years ago. Well worth watching!

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 3/26/2016 5:45:53 PM

Give Thanks for the movie RastaGoddess.

Like Bunny Wailer sings, "Them kill Lumumba for his own rights, but they can't kill the Rastaman at all."

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/29/2016 10:50:06 AM

Chocolates as Cultural Blind Spots:

This year, the topic was “Civilization,” and the discussion focused on the ways in which imperialism influenced art and objects produced in France and Belgium at the time of their African conquests. Both professors presented excerpts from longer projects, which you can read more about here. To grossly summarize their discussion, Professor Porterfield looked at the ways in which the Luxor Obelisk at the Place de la Concorde, “given” to the French by Egypt less than 30 years after Napoleon’s campaign in Egypt, functioned as a political statement legitimating Louis-Philippe’s July Monarchy and future French imperialism. Professor Silverman examined the extent to which Belgian art nouveau reflected and knowingly concealed colonial violence in the Congo Free State.

Today I’d like to look at Professor Silverman’s concept of “cultural blind spots” –the idea that vestiges of colonial violence in Belgian objects and artwork went almost entirely unnoticed by the public- and similar structures in American society today. One of her most vivid examples involved chocolate hands, a regional specialty of Antwerp.

Between 1885-1908, Belgium controlled a sizeable chunk of Central Africa known as the Congo Free State, where it made an enormous profit using forced Congolese labor to harvest rubber and ivory. Agents of the Belgian-controlled state charged with enforcing rubber quotas were best known for their policy of collecting the severed hands of Congolese who failed to make these quotas. Heaped in baskets and presented to European higher-ups, these gruesome, iconic testaments to the brutality of Belgian imperialism were kept as proof that the soldiers’ bullets were not being wasted.

At a follow-up luncheon with Professors Porterfield and Silverman, my table discussed potential American cultural blind spots. The example that jumped most readily to mind were the names, mascots, and logos of sports teams like the Washington Redskins, the Cleveland Indians, and –a little closer to home- the Chicago Blackhawks. These and many other teams, despite having been the focus of protests and controversies, continue to use images that not only perpetuate ethnic stereotypes, but also mask the persecution and decimation of the Native American population. The continuing problem of racism in advertisements was also discussed (from the 1920’s to the 40’s to today), although it seems that recently, thanks to the many critical eyes of the Internet, many offensive advertisements –like the Intel one in the last link- are pulled before they reach consumers.

The issue with this kind of speculation, of course, is that cultural blind spots are called blind spots for a reason: they’re tropes that the vast majority of a society accepts until the passage of time allows us to contextualize them. We were only able to think of examples of cultural phenomena that have already been widely critiqued as problematic, not true blind spots like Antwerpse handjes. With that in mind, we’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject. What, if anything, will come to be seen as American Antwerpse handjes? What other cultural blind spots exist in America today?

http://sites.northwestern.edu/akih/2013/02/21/chocolates-as-cultural-blind-spots-responding-to-civilization/

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/29/2016 1:59:34 PM

The i ever hear of the belgian cartoon and comic call Tintin in the congo

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 30

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I