Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6447&start_row=1

When to turn to Western Medicine

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 28
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/10/2016 3:11:21 PM

I think this is an important topic for RasTafarI people to hopefully prevent serious personal or family consequences. Many and likely most RasTafarI people, including Iself, prefer natural remedies over Western medicine and its associated side effects. I think for many things, this is a good approach, but people need to be more reasonable and realistic with this approach, and realize when they should turn to western medicine. Western medicine is not all good, but it is also not all bad, humans have received many benefits because of it, and we now survive and recover from diseases and injuries that would have previously killed or severely harmed us. And while there are known, effective natural remedies for many things, the remedies are not effective for everything, and sometimes western medicine is significantly better or the only presently known remedy that actually works.

I read a story in the news recently. It is not about RasTafarI people but about a family who rejects western medicine. A few years ago, a child in Alberta, Canada died from meningitis because his parents refused to take him to a hospital. The parents own a nutritional supplements company that sells herbal remedies and vitamins, and reject Western medicine because of bad experiences they say they had with it.

A friend who was a nurse told them that it looked like their child had meningitis and that they should take him to a doctor, but they decided to continue to treat him themselves.

On the day of his death, they called a Naturopath Medical clinic asking for a treatment for meningitis, and the person at the clinic suggested that they take the child to a doctor. They replied that a nurse had already seen him and asked the clinic what remedy they would suggest. Then they drove their child to the clinic to pick up a tincture of echinacea, but the child's body was too stiff to put him in his car seat, so they put a mattress in the back of their vehicle to take him to the naturopath. That evening, their child stopped breathing and they finally took him to a hospital, but at that point it was too late and the child died a few days later.

The parents were told that their child likely had meningitis, which is an infection in the fluid around the brain. With meningitis, even if it didn't kill the child, the pressure on the brain from the infected fluid could have given the child permanent brain damage. But they were so stubborn and ignorant in their ways that this knowledge wasn't enough to make them decide to take their son to the hospital. And what is even worse, and more stubborn and ignorant, is that on the day their child died, he was too stiff to get into his car seat while trying to take him to the naturopath clinic, and even that wasn't enough for those ignorant parents to decide to take their poor child to the hospital.

They opposed western medicine because of bad experiences they say they had with it, but I suspect that the bad experience they had without western medicine was much worse then the bad experience they had with it.

Reasonable and realistic. Two concepts that many people don't grasp, and really need to learn to grasp, if not for their own well-being, for the well-being of their children.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 3/10/2016 10:01:57 PM

I have impacted wisdom teeth that I am considering surgery to remove. It doesnt cause I pain but it could cause problems potentially.

Removing teeth without anesthesia would be really painful.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/11/2016 12:38:18 AM

Did the I see the x rays of the teeth? Dentists prefer to take them out whether or not it is needed because it is hard to fill cavities in wisdom teeth and they are more likely to get cavities.

I have two wisdom teeth. When they were breaking through the gums, they became infected, I just put some hard alcohol in I mouth and held it around the tooth and let it burn for a while and then spit it out and after repeating that a few times a day over a couple of days it was better. It happened a couple more times between both teeth, and the alcohol fixed it each time.

If I had went to a dentist, their only suggestion would have been to pull them out.

If they are tilted toward the other teeth, as long as they are not too tilted, they will straighten as they grow.

Messenger: EVOLUTION Sent: 3/11/2016 12:18:16 PM

Greetings in the name of the most HIGH JAH RASTAFARI SELASSIE I...it's a SERIOUS topic...JAH give WISEMENT...which is COMMON-SENSE...therfore InI MUST use it. Minor Ailments such as the flu, soar throat, diabetes, high blood pressure etc.,can be treated with HERBS+HEALTHY eating discipline. HERBS takes TIME to HEAL...therefore if it's a dis-ease that is DITRIMENTAL with RAPID DEGENERATION to InI TEMPLE... it's just WISE to utilize WESTERN MEDICINE and after HEALTH BALANCE has been regained then CLEANSE+NOURISH the TEMPLE with HERBS...just InI opinion...in this LIFE there is 3 ways to learn, LOOK-LISTEN- FEEL...well Ark I..that REALITY the I shared about that YOUTH should not have TERMINATED his EARTHLY EXPERIENCE so soon..when that dis-ease has already been CURED with WESTERN MEDICINE many...many times..it's just COMMON-SENSE...LESSON in that REALITY.. RASPECT...

BLESSED LOVE...

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/11/2016 3:07:45 PM

Good reasoning

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/11/2016 4:50:12 PM

Good reasonings indeed.

Though I will always seek a natural alternative FIRST, not ALL things can be cured with homeopathic healing.

Echinacea will not mend broken bones.

Golden seal will not straighten teeth.

All things must be wisely discerned.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 3/11/2016 7:14:45 PM

I have seen the x rays and the teeth have started emerging. They are definitely impacted. I could probably wait for years and be fine but I have health insurance right now and it would be good to take advantage of it while I have it.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/11/2016 7:17:59 PM

If it will cause a problem, then take it out, the sooner the better.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/11/2016 7:22:57 PM

Rasta Goddess,

Does the I actually mean homeopathic, or naturopathic? The reason I ask is that homeopathic is very different then traditional Herbal MediRight. I think Herbal MediRight is Blessed, but I am very skeptical about homeopathy in particular, in some of its forms it is a literally a sugar pill.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 3/11/2016 7:28:21 PM

I must be ignorant of the difference Ark I. I was making a general reference to natural medicine. I'm not knowledgeable on the difference between the two, but will research it.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 28

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I