Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6408&start_row=1

B12 naturally made and vegan

1 - 1011
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/8/2016 12:06:25 AM

B12 is naturally made by certain bacteria. B12 supplements are only unnatural or non vegan if fillers are added to the pill that make it so.

No plant or animal food produces vitamin B12 by itself. In animals, b12 comes from bacteria in feces they ingest or bacteria in their stomach.

Some plants with B12 have been grown in a lab, using soil that was rich in B12 producing bacteria.

B12 is made by growing a culture of B12 producing bacteria. Here is a list of bacteria that produce B12.

Acetobacterium, Aerobacter, Agrobacterium, Alcaligenes, Azotobacter, Bacillus, Clostridium, Corynebacterium, Flavobacterium, Lactobacillus, Micromonospora, Mycobacterium, Nocardia, Propionibacterium, Protaminobacter, Proteus, Pseudomonas, Rhizobium, Salmonella, Serratia, Streptomyces, Streptococcus and Xanthomonas.

Messenger: EVOLUTION Sent: 2/8/2016 7:24:04 AM

Greetings...in-teresting...I was unaware of that...thanks for sharing...

BLESSED LOVE...

Messenger: DURU Sent: 2/9/2016 2:48:43 AM

Blessed to all,

Yes I give thanks , as far as I know B12 producing bacteria's dies due to high protein intake,

Another thing ,there is 1 plant that can naturally produce B12 , name of d plant is Ashitaba from japan .

InI JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: OldSoulOWATi Sent: 2/9/2016 5:30:04 AM

Blessed InI DURU

the I know where to find this?

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/9/2016 9:45:14 AM

Plant sources either don't produce enough, or produce a type our body can't process.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/9/2016 11:04:02 AM

So what de solution? Eat the plant sources and take some probiotics? Or just take a b12 vegan pill?

Messenger: African_Warrior_King Sent: 2/9/2016 12:33:33 PM

I n I believe say food is food aslong as what you eat does not make another brother stumble. I n I eat food and give thanks. But i n i dont need food to live! The Lord is Who give i life.
Jah

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/9/2016 12:39:22 PM

Probiotics wouldn't work, unless they made some specialized ones that had bacteria that produced enough B12 and early enough in the digestive tract.

If not from animal sources, a pill is currently the best choice. Some vegans claim they have never taken b12. Maybe they ate enough fortified foods or they have the bacteria that produces it.

I have heard that some vegans from India had no B12 issues until they started living in England. But several studies have shown a high prevalence of b12 deficiency in India.

Maybe some people drink water with enough B12, or get it from soil residue on their food.

If people want to try not using supplements, to see if they can do without, it would probably be a good idea to periodical test the blood to make sure their B12 levels are high enough.

B12 deficiency can cause some serious problems and people may not realize that their symptoms are because of the deficiency.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/9/2016 2:49:19 PM

Methylocobalamin supplements (vegan)
Not the other types

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/9/2016 6:35:16 PM

Yes I, Give Thanks, I didn't realize that the commonly used form (Cyanocobalamin) has a chemical part of the process. Here is a description of how they make the common form.

----
Cyanocobalamin is commercially prepared by bacterial fermentation. Fermentation by a variety of microorganisms yields a mixture of methyl-, hydroxo-, and adenosylcobalamin. These compounds are converted to cyanocobalamin by addition of potassium cyanide in the presence of sodium nitrite and heat. Since a number of species of Propionibacterium produce no exotoxins or endotoxins and have been granted GRAS status (generally regarded as safe) by the Food and Drug Administration of the United States, they are currently the preferred bacterial fermentation organisms for vitamin B12 production.[6]
----

The Methylocobalamin type doesn't go through the chemical process but is produced directly from bacteria.

1 - 1011

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I