Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6348&start_row=1

Egypt Ethiopia

1 - 4
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Voodooruuts Sent: 12/20/2015 7:59:36 PM

With Egypt being the daughter of Ethiopia and being two in the same I had a lil thought today.
I saw the letters "YPT"and thought of both Ethiopia and Egypt. As I thought on them the two words became one and the same to I as I was hearing the Ethiopian pronunciation (not tranliteration) of Ethiopia (something like "I'chope'ya"). They sound as the same word unless the Western pronunciation of Egypt is off and its more like "Ekuptus"?

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/21/2015 7:21:19 AM

Hmmmm...

I think "Ekuptus" as di I suggest is very close to the Phonetic Spelling of the greek "Aiguptos"
(ah'-ee-goop-tos)

I wonder if "YPT" may be a transliteration or version of PTAH, for the Greek word "AIGUPTOS" (Hi-Gi-Ptos) is said to come from the Kemetic versions of HI-KU-PTAH, HWT-U-PTAH, HA-KA-PTAH, HET-KA-PTAH or HWT-KA-PTH.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 1/9/2016 2:55:32 AM

Ethiopia is the English transliteration of the Greek word "Αιθιοπα" (or Aithiopia) which originates from the Greek word "Αιθιοψ" or "aithiops" which literally means "charred or burnt." "Aithiops" is in fact composed of "αιθιω" (meaning "I burn") and "ωψ" (meaning face or complexion).

Prior to Greek history, Ethiopia was known as "Kush" by the ancient "Egyptians." The Buhen stela (housed in the Florence Museum), which dates from the reign of Sety I (1294-1279 BC), refers to this region as "Kas" and "Kash." Kush is also mentioned as "KSH" in other texts dated between 1550 - 1069 BC.

http://www.taneter.org/ethiopia.html

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/9/2016 6:11:52 AM

Jesse

Then how do you explain KING ETIYOPE ruling the province of Ethiopia at a time before grecoroman contact? The name was provided by the Kings List allegedly submitted by Haile Selassie himself.

I'm not so sure the word sound Ethiopia wasn't indigenous to us. The Greeks could have simply heard it (especially if was a kings name) stole it and added their own meaning. Unfortunately we have many examples of them doing similar with other words. Infact they were experts at misinterpreting things

1 - 4

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I