Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6306&start_row=11

Let's stop the divisive conversations, Rasta!

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 24
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/1/2015 8:29:55 AM

I overstand the desire to guather among Rastas, and applaud the desire to bring forth equal right ls and justice. As a non-African coming into a Black movement, there are key issues that you may wish to ignore or not relate to, as your experience of life, as a white man, will obviously be different then ours. What you consider trivial, can mean life or death for Afrikan people under white supremacy. With all due respect, you may be blissfully ignorant to the fact that to trivialize the black experience is a direct result of white skin privilege. There are words you speak which send "red flags" to InI, underneath the whole "can't we all just get along Kumbaya" stuff. Remember, when we speak of Word, Sound and Power, it is not some cute little rasta lyric that sounds good in a song.

1- Like di breddah mention, Rasta does not debate. Debate reflects COMPETITION & OPPOSITION

2- Rasta nah deal with no "recruiting" bizznezz.

3- Rasta nah deal with POLI-TRICKS

4- Rasta is an AFRIKAN movement born out of RESISTANCE to white supremacy. Do not confuse us addressing this DIVISIVE system with US being divisive. There's a big difference, and unless you walk in the shoes of a Black Man, you cannot and must not trivialize our reality or define it as divisive.

Based on the reasonings you have shared, InI sight that you've still got a long way to go towards fully overstanding this. This is not meant as an offense. We all still have much to learn. There is a process of deprogramming from this Matrix that we all must go through. White supremacy has imbedded itself deeply in the very fibers of this system, but our trod and experience is different then yours. You must humble yourself to that reality.

We are not hippies. Wr are not flower children. This aint Woodstock. No Kumbaya business here.

If you wish to enter into a black movement, first begin to overstand the Afrikan experience and history. While you might expect us all to be like Martin Luther King, unlike him, we aren't dreaming of equality anymore. You might just find a few Malcolm X's among InI, who simply have no business about how you want to see Rasta run its house or have you interpret what our movement should and should not do.

If you can start with humbling yourself to that FIRST, you may begin to overstand a very CRUCIAL aspect to RasTafari.

Imagine walking into the OAU (Organization of African Unity founded by His Majesty) as African people guather to discuss our liberation, and you walk in talking about "let's not be so divisive and trivial". Ya might just get a rude awakening when you hear a collective African ROAR.

Same thing will apply right here. And you'll find that you may get schooled, firstly by Afrikan people, but also from white Rastas who have walked through that same FIYAH and have begun to overs InI experience and history.

Messenger: ras93 Sent: 12/1/2015 9:21:20 AM

Dear RastaGodess,
I fully understand your argument and perspective and share it to the fullest. What i said was not that the racist system, institutions or doctrines are of any less importance. It is very important,it is essential,i repeat, essential! Where did i say that the I should not talk or organize around that? nowehere! What i said is that we shouldn't go back and forth about my or some others rasta skin color. If the I want to talk about racisim, repatriation, ending of colonial/racial and segregational politics, that is welcomed of course, i will not claim to lead such a thing as i am aware it would be hypocrtical as a white to claim to know all the struggles of the african people. Of course not. All i can do on such a topic is lend a hand and help wherever possible, which i will always. Let's just cut the nonproductive talk, seen? WHat do we get when talk hours at end about whether i should/can be a rasta because i'm white? At the end of the day, i'm still Rasta, nothing productive has come from the reasoning, and time was spent on nothing. I am sure you will overstand and continue to bless us with your wisdom and knowledge which i personally enjoy reading always.
Give thanks.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/1/2015 9:29:00 AM

The subject of white Rastafari is not trivial when one considers the effects a mixed all welcoming group as opposed to a safe black 'space' can have on the minds and impressions of the YOUNG panafrican or revolutionary curious black child. That's s long sentence but please consider what I am saying. I know if I had grown among white ras with no real sense of black supremacy and African revolution in the thing I probably wouldn't have trod.....who knows? After already seeing Rastafari being labelled as soft none revolutionary and integrationist with the post cointelpro interference and increasing European 'influence' I, telling you, This is not trivial. Black people will forever more be cautious and protective of what we create

What I don't overs is what is de problem as far as eye see the White Rastafari thing has been limited to one maybe two threads. It's not as though it's chaos all thru the forum and as we are showing InI don't have a problem dealing with other subjects too. Make a post about what u want to post about and ignore the other thing whe u don't find value in or even may stick u a little as a European

Haile

Messenger: ras93 Sent: 12/1/2015 9:31:45 AM

Garveys Africa, i think the I should take up ARK I's offer to create a new website just for African Rastas and African topics.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 12/1/2015 9:33:53 AM

De I can't peripheralise I

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/1/2015 9:47:47 AM

If I and I just Reason about things we agree on, are I and I going to Learn much of anything? There will be some Learning through the exchange of ideas surrounding the thing agreed upon, but the Learning will be limited. Reasoning about things that I and I disagree on has many benefits. One is that sometimes I and I will Learn from each other and change some views because of Realization that came through Reasoning. Another is that I and I will sometimes Learn more about our own viewpoint or gain more Iverstanding about it, and Realize things that make I and I stronger and more confident in the viewpoint. There are other benefits as well.

I think that I and I should work towards balance, so that not everything Reasoned about is disagreement, and that is the case here, not everything I and I Reason about is in disagreement. I have learned over the years that people say they don't like the disagreements, but it is not really true. The times when the disagreements were few, the Reasonings were few. It happens time and time again.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 12/1/2015 9:52:57 AM

The intention behind Ark I's offer was fully overstood by InI. It was not a reactionary one, but a selfless one. Wanting to allow us a space free of this kind of repetitive distraction.

However, with all due respect, your intentions come across different. When you suggest we have our own board, unlike Ark I, it comes across as "We don't wanna hear all that black stuff", preferring a color blind utopian rainbows and flowers vibe. I could be wrong, but based on the reactions you've gotten from us, collectively, it would beg to be considered.

Perhaps you are still young in this trod. That's understandable. Every ones gotta start somewhere.

Just remember, this is an AFRIKAN trod. Whether you fully accept it or not.

Messenger: ras93 Sent: 12/1/2015 9:59:57 AM

Yes, this a african trod i and i accept it as such. However, i do not think one must be african to be Rasta. And yes i am saying i don't want to hear this ''black'' stuff in terms of who can be rasta. Let us talk about racism,slavey, inequality, i will talk gladly. But the constant ''check'' of who can be rasta is tiring. For me it is a spiritual thing, i'm tired of the talk and fire upon white rastas. I am not a utopian, i hate that notion, but yes i am color blind. I go beyong the physical, live with the teaching and try to emmulate the actions of Haile Selassie I. Such disscussions about my skin color bore me. Yes slavery is a top issue, yes racism is a top issue, yes that must be changed. But i refuse to be looked at the same as white slave holders in the 16th,17th and 18th century or racist politicians nowadays. That;s like saying every German today is a fascist and supports killing Jews and support Hitler. Cut it out!

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/1/2015 10:01:47 AM

ras93,

The offer I made for the forum was not to get rid of African-Centered RasTafarI people. If the offer was accepted, I hope would have been that they Itinued to Reason here, but had a space to go when they felt the need to Reason about things amongst Africans and about African culture without outside interference.

If the I want to continue Trodding with RasTafarI people, then the I has to accept that some African RasTafarI people want nothing to do with white RasTafarI people, and it is their choice and Right, and many have a good Reason for feeling that way.

Back in the 1990's, there was one Elder RasTafarI Idren in the Nyahbinghi house that gave I a hard time because I was white (he wasn't the only one, just the most vocal). And even after I Reasoned with him, he told I that despite I intentions, he would never change his mind about I. Ten or fifteen years later, I and I crossed paths again, and he saw I Trod, and did change his mind and he treated I like a RasTafarI Idren, and he brought up the times in the past when he treated I differently.

I told him that it was good that he gave I a hard time, and he should continue that way, because many white people claiming RasTafarI are not what they claim. And on top of that some will come with intentional deception to infiltrate RasTafarI. There are of course threats from some African people claiming RasTafarI, but the threat from white skinned people claiming RasTafarI is bigger in many ways.

I told him that the Nyahbinghi house needed Idrens like him with Strong Fire to guard the house from threats. ras93, If the I can't deal with the Fire, then it is you that should be looking elsewhere.

Messenger: ras93 Sent: 12/1/2015 1:29:45 PM

This is exactly the kind of talk i'm saying we should end. Pointless rift-raft. You obviously do not understand what I mean, even though i highly respect the reasoning of all of you. I am ending this discussion as of now and in the next few days will start opening threads which are important to I, maybe then the Idem will understand. Let's keep it cool.
I give thanks to all of you, whether we have found common ground or not, i hope soon you will understand I.
More fire, Haile Selassie I.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 24

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I