Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6224&start_row=1

is the Earth a male or female Principle?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 38
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: royal dawta Sent: 10/6/2015 4:16:48 PM

According i overstanding of the creation as arising from sets of male and female gods and goddesses. Geb is the male principle, who is the earth, who is static, who does nothing; he just lies there on his back. And then you have Nut, who is the heavens, who is the sky, who is bouncing around, who is flying around, who sits on top of him, having sex with him and then she gets up and she gives birth to the rest of the gods and goddesses of Creation.

Messenger: KnowThySelf333 Sent: 10/6/2015 4:57:18 PM

Most would say earth is a female mother and that is the more widespread notion.

Because earth GIVES BIRTH to herbs,fruits,lifeforms etc.

But there are some who have a different story like some Native Americans may tell you a turtle symbolizes earth...I think these type of things are sometimes more symolic than literal.

Messenger: royal dawta Sent: 10/6/2015 5:18:21 PM

according the ancient kemetic story creation arises from sets of male and female gods and goddesses AND inda very beginning Geb is the male principle, who is the earth And then you have Nut, who is the heavens, who is the sky who sits on top of him and then she gets up and she gives birth to the rest of the gods and goddesses of Creation. Geb just stays there, static, like the earth And the goddess is there moving around the tekenu, with all her stars, with all her clouds, all her planets, moving around constantly. This is just like the atoms, where you have the protons and the neutrons in the center and the electrons swirling around in all kind of different ways. When you go down to the molecular level, you find that there is a trinity of existence, there are three basic components of the so-called atom. You have your protons and electrons, and these are the basic male and female aspects of creations. Protons being the male, positively charged; the electrons being the female, negatively charged. This is a concept of gender. In this context, protons don’t do any creation, any creative activity. The electrons do that by their movement, by their separation from a particular atom, by their linking themselves to a different atom and thereby making different connections, composing themselves into molecules, compounds, etc.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 10/6/2015 6:18:02 PM

Greetinz Sista!

I have to smile because I too have wondered the same thing! In other words, I always figured Earth/Mother Nature to be...feminine of course! :) So why did the Kemetic Ankh-cestors use Geb to represent earth????

The element of water is feminine energy and brings forth life, but with Afrikan Spiritual Traditions, it’s all about duality: male and female counterparts.

The water was associated with the flood and it's life giving power, (just like with human birth), so the water (which fell from the sky, Nut) became associated with feminine energy, making the Earth (the counterpart) masculine in the form of Geb.

Messenger: Immanueleye7 Sent: 10/7/2015 12:16:11 AM

Blessed love empress give thanks for de life and life giver...

Earth is a female principle which has many goddesess traced back into time. Each culture and faith has there own mindset on gods and goddesses. Mother earth has always been there... it was just man who puts names. Same as father sky, all the way into vedic culture the earth is a representation of the mother. She gives birth to the living.. Its only one mother earth but many names de man call on. blessed love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/7/2015 5:04:26 AM

Earth isn't the same as (mother) Nature

Yes in Kemet Earth was a male principle. Mother Nature is not a principle of Kemet. Nature is not one Neter. Nature = all of the Neters. Nature = Neter. Earth is but one aspect

It's also true to remember that all living things have a feminine and masculine principle. It not so black and white

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 10/7/2015 11:08:11 AM

Blessed Love + Honor All
Yes Garveys Africa I think this is a perfect answer! In both respects, acknowledging that Nature on a grander scale includes earth but is not solely and earthbound idea, and acknowledging the male/female, or it can be called giving/receiving, aspects of all things, in varying degrees. Give thankhs for the Insight.
More Iducation Itinually, give thankhs Djehuti + Seshat

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 10/9/2015 10:00:28 AM

cool. nice reasoning.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/9/2015 11:24:10 PM

In most people's culture, in all continents, at least in recorded history, there are female deities or characteristics for the earth, while a few different cultures have male, or both male and female deities.

Also, sometimes the deities of a culture have different roles and characteristics at different points in people's history. It is a reflection of the people.

I don't really look at the earth as male, female or a mixture of both. In the way I sight it, the earth is its own entity.

Messenger: royal dawta Sent: 12/8/2015 11:38:53 PM

The creation story of Geb and Nut isa veneration (worship) of the female principle, Geb holding up the female Nut, the Heart isa male principle,the word earth is a ANAGRAM for HEAT and HATE--both are FIRE words which are masculine as they are come from the SUN/SON (the biggest fire, heat-producing male principle). The HEART is in EARTH. So the heart's expansion and contraction is a male principle. The EXPANSION represents HEAT (heat expands); the CONTRACTION represents COLD (another male principle). Thus the heart is male. Meanwhile, the BRAIN is known as The MATRIX (the MOTHER principle). And where is it? It's (up) above the heart--the male. Just like in the mythology., the word HEAVENS are female. Also explainable thru the anagram. Inside heaven you find words such as Eve, Sheave (an ancient word for WOMB), Haven, Even (even numbers are considered female) and Hen (a female bird). Coincidence? I don't think so. These words are not coincidental, they're intentional though not necessarily intended for one to figure out. Yet, with the right key they stand ready to be found out.
This is where all the stories come from about BEINGS coming from above. They do. They come from the HEAVENS: Mother Sky. Not Mother Earth. Every individual comes from the stars. Both the Dogons and the Zulu and other ancient, afrikan peoples have said this always. People of the stars.MAMA is the heavens/sky. We are born from the COSMOS and make an entry into the wombs of the female human and male tube. Remember the Kunte Kinte scene in which he was held up to the night sky? This is that ritual that pays homage to whence we all come from.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 38

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I