Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6088&start_row=1

Mental Illness

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 34
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Humble one Sent: 5/14/2015 4:37:12 AM

Dear All,

I was just wondering what Rastafari people thought of this.

My personal thoughts are that most mental illness is the direct cause of not being in touch with the divine that resides in ones self, and being disconnected from jah; ie Babylon indoctrination.

Yet, I hear many people in support of Babylon's way of dealing with mental illness on these forums (apart from the medications)

Would love to know people's opinions

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 5/14/2015 5:34:59 AM

Does that go for young kids also?

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/14/2015 8:04:19 AM

i agree with you to a certain extent.

mental illness is a complex topic. if you put things like racism, materialism (and all the isms...), drug addictions and things like that (which are caused by babylon) under that banner than i'm thing you're right. you have left jahs way. i think it's very difficult to judge those people. because sometimes you can't say who is the real sinner. is every racist a sinner or can mental confusion be described as an illness that was generated by the ones who has lead them into temptation?

but when it comes to trisomy 21 or people who are officially labelled as "mentally retarded" i would refer to the saying that "every man has his way". i mean look at our schools nowadays. when may parents were youths or even when i was still in elementary school (in germany pupils have to visit elementary school from age 6 to 10) it wasn't like it is today. if a kid was little bit louder then this was the way he is. if someone was quite all the time then he was a little bit shy. what they do today has nothing to do with improved knowledge regarding certain medical issues. a huge amount of kids nowadays are forced to take pills because they are labelled as adhd patients or because of their "depressions". reminds me of certain rich white guys who travel to africa to give little children vaccinations or even to adopt a horde of them to take them away to a foreign place. now this behaviour is truely sick to me. sick and twisted. pumping little guys full of chemicals while the reasons for their behaviour isn't physical or caused by real mental problems.

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 5/14/2015 9:04:26 AM

Dear All,

I think I am becoming more accepting of conventional treatments such as counselling and talking. Because these people, often, genuinely mean good.

But I would say, IMO, a psychologist cannot give a complete treatment if they do not have an understanding of the spirit, and are aware of Babylon's effect on the spirit. Because, "pyche" in latin, actually means "soul" so psychology literally means science of the soul. I think too many psychologists are not even aware that the ACTUAL person they are dealing is a soul, not just the physical body. They do not have the understanding that the soul lives in the body. I think, first, they must at least know this.

But I would never agree with the drugs, because I know that they will only enslave a person further in the long term.

But, whereas as before, I would (and I admit) arrogantly "burn" psychology as a collective, I think now that counselling, social clubs etc may be of great value.

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/14/2015 9:31:49 AM

yes. i could burn babylon psychology all day. i mean look at some diseases they came up with lately. what they describe as adhd or even the borderline syndrom, all of the diseases that deal with social issues, can't officially being diagnosed that easy. it even has found his acceptance in our common language internationally. if someone is full of energy we like to say "man, he needs some pills" or if someone is complaining to much he's "depressive". but it needs many hours with psychologists to be officially labelled as depressive or things like that. i spoke to a lot of persons whos children are diagnosed with such things and they always said that doctors can't be sure at all if they are really depressive but all they can do is to give them those pills until the kids have grown a little bit older so maybe they can handle their behaviour on their own,

and if there are real problems within a family and a person has obviously real problems to deal with his children, nothing will happen. i know some families. the mothers are addicted to alcohol or they are dealing with the problem that they have not any love for their children even if they want to love them but all they are doing is make some clerks visiting these families a few times a month to control their "daily routine". it's a joke to me.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/14/2015 2:40:23 PM

I know a girl who hears voices and 1 day heard a voice telling her to kill her mother so she picked up a knife and put it through her mothers belly.

Are you telling me there is NEVER a time when pharmaceutixal intervention may be required?

The problem mental health has is there is a BIG grey area MOST of the time when diagnosing. And so many people are over diagnosed it's frightening.

The mental health system in the west needs to change. But it's not good to use blanket statements like 'never' when dealing with these things.

Messenger: Sister Sent: 5/14/2015 3:45:52 PM

Its a sad one. If its ok to physically alter one person for knife wielding or whatever the offence might be, why not the next one who is incarcerated? Just part of the society as things are. As long as people believe its the right thing to do, the system will go on exploiting that beleif. Horror stories in abundance will maintain it.

Jah bless.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/14/2015 3:57:57 PM

Maybe you miss the point Sister. This wasn't premeditated or spur of the moment. This was based on strong auditory hallucinations. She had no problem with her mother prior. And I don't think it's right for you to suggest I'm giving horror stories as though propaganda when I'm sharing a real life experience of mine

With this topic in general I find that for both sides: People FEAR what they don't overstand

Doctor: EVERYBODY with symptom A or B needs medication

Naturopath: NOBODY ever needs medication.

As if there were no middle ground.

But people fear what they don't overs!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/14/2015 4:06:47 PM

The other side of the coin is the fear of Rastafari.

I also know THREE other brothers who have all been sectioned against their will for varying amount of times for simply declaring their passion for Jah and what they believe in. Albeit some of these beliefs may come across as extreme and intolerant, and these brothers may have been filled with passionate energy when doing so. Nevertheless, this clearly is wrong and is simply a response to the medical profession not having a good enough appreciation for cultural behaviours outside of their own. The Other Side for balance.

Bless Jah Sister

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 5/14/2015 4:16:50 PM

i think it's sad that people still have to learn that there are too many chemicals going around. can't sleep. take a pill. too tired. take a pill. not hungry. take a pill. too hungry to follow my diet. take another pill.

but i don't know if any kind of western medicine is pure evil or to avoid. even the great bob marley has lost his hair during his time in germany due to his cancer treatment.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 34

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I