Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6004&start_row=11

Science and Spirit

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 89
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/22/2015 12:49:50 AM

The Words of the Most High Haile Selassie I

Interview with editor of The Voice of Ethiopia

Question:There are people everywhere who hold that civilization has done more harm than good to humanity. These people argue that even though the so-called modern progress has brought some physical comfort, it has done incalculable harm to and greatly weakened the spiritual values regarded so highly in former times. What they call spiritual values are those things which are usually associated with religion. In other words the great progress made in the field of science has contributed to the weakening of the influence of religion and has deprived man of that inner calm that he so much needs for his spiritual well-being. What is Your Majesty's opinion on this matter?

Answer: One cannot deny that in former times man's life had been one of toil and hardship. It is correct to say, therefore, that modern civilization and the progress of science have greatly improved man's life and have brought comfort and ease in their trail. But civilization can serve man both for good as well as for evil purposes. Experience shows that it has invariably brought great dividends to those who use it for good purposes while it has always brought incalculable harm and damnation to those who use it for evil purposes. To make our wills obedient to good influences and to avoid evil, therefore, is to show the greatest wisdom. In order to follow this aim one must be guided by religion. Progress without religion is just like a life surrounded by unknown perils and can be compared to a body without a soul. All human inventions, from the most primitive tool to the modern atom, can help man greatly in his peaceful endeavours. But if they are put to evil purposes they have the capacity to wipe out the human race from the surface of the earth. It is only when the human mind is guided by religion and morality that man can acquire the necessary vision to put all his ingenuous inventions and contrivances to really useful and beneficial purposes. The progress of science can be said to be harmful to religion only in so far as it is used for evil aims and not because it claims a priority over religion in its revelation to man. It is important that spiritual advancement must keep pace with material advancement. When this comes to be realized man's journey toward higher and more lasting values will show more marked progress while the evil in him recedes into the background. Knowing that material and spiritual progress are essential to man, we must ceaselessly work for the equal attainment of both. Only then shall we be able to acquire that absolute inner calm so necessary to our well-being.

It is only when a people strike an even balance between scientific progress and spiritual and moral advancement that it can be said to possess a wholly perfect and complete personality and not a lopsided one. The type of progress we have chalked out for Ethiopia is based on these fundamental principles.

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 2/22/2015 9:54:56 AM

True words from HIM. Most people in babylon weigh FAR more towards the materialistic side though. This is the problem.

Although I would personally argue against science altogether. For example, the birds and foxes outside have never studied the sciences at all, yet I am sure that they are far more aware of themselves than the people inna babylon.

You can study and study and study and study and study an apple... Find out all of the micro, macro nutrients, scientific classifications, and so on and so forth of it. But there is still NOTHING MORE PERFECT THAN THE FORM THE JAH ORIGINALLY MADE IT IN.

You cannot take apart fruit and vegetables and put them back together again in a more perfect form.

Personally, I think that too much has gone into trying to explain the intracies of all the vitamins, minerals etc. The fact is, that plants from the earth are made FOR HUMANS TO eat.

The point I am making is that you could study for 100,000 million years, and you could still not make anything more perfect than the form that JAH made his creation in...

--------------------------------------------------

The birds do not construct laboratories, yet I still hear them, every morning without fail, that they ARE SO OVERJOYED WITH LIFE that they actually WANT to sing... I do not see many humans going to the bus stop singing in the morning. Thing is is that the birds have kept it simple, not looking for advancement but rather realizing what they already have; the beauty of JAH earth

All the best,

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/22/2015 11:22:18 AM

I don't like that analogy because to suggest all Apples (and other fruit etc) are all in 100% perfect best of the best condition as a predetermined guarantee from Jah, irrespective of circumstance, is false...... Dont agree so. Some apple are SWEEET some are not so good some are rotten some are small some are bad some are pick too early some are pick too late. Infact almost everything in nature or that grows works so. If I have a bad crop I can study scientifically by just observing what went wrong, and ensure my next crop is dat Fire. Who said science would be trying to replicate the apple it is studying as though it is trying to replace nature? Nobody suggested that. Yet through science we know why eating the apple seed is poisonous, or the correct season to pick the best quality apple, or the kind of soil and preferred feeding regimes for the tree, knowing not to eat the rotten apple, knowing which apple tree is diseased and how to prevent

All of this is science in some way shape and form.

The fact that you KNOW if you eat an apple it won't poison you MUST have come via recorded observation of nature by someone at some point; SCIENCE.

Science is not just in a lab

Jah make we perfect. But dat don't mean we can't get sick. And when we do; the naturopath or BUSH doctor who instructs you to take this ya herb and this ya bush for a cure; he is a scientist, in every sense.

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 2/22/2015 12:49:29 PM

Haile Selassie, Marcus Garvey, and Bob Marley all come at the perfect time for humanity. The knowledge of this Trinity[Selassie being the Power Of] come at a time when human 'scientific/technological' advances allowed them to spread their messages throughout the entire world and have them recorded for ever. Science and technology being used for spiritual purposes. How could H.I.M. have visited Jamaica if it was not for the science and technology of the Airplane? How could Ark I seamlessly post interviews and quotes of H.I.M if not for science and technology? Would any of Garvey's teachings been heard by so many ears if not for science and technology? Would any of Bob Marley's music spread from an Island to the whole world if not for technology?

I do agree that the 'elite' technocratic 'ruling' class is misusing technology and are actively working for: "But if they are put to evil purposes they have the capacity to wipe out the human race from the surface of the earth." These 'elitists' advance their system by hypnotizing humanity with technology. So many people are addicted to screens. The average American watches 5 hours of T.V a day.. Little children have cellphones big as their head.. Grown men worshiping football and video games.. This is what I see today when H.I.M Qedamawi Haile Selassie say: "Progress without religion is just like a life surrounded by unknown perils and can be compared to a body without a soul."

By writing in this forum, I am using a great deal of technology. The intent of IandI using this technology is to reason and gain spiritual knowledge.. Not an oxymoron if Overstood. Nothing is a contradiction. I am a Caucasian yet I acknowledge the African King of Kings. Plants look benign and harmless yet many plants possess knowledge and wisdom so fierce they can destroy the system through the Natural Mystic. Technology has gotten Humanity into so much trouble and it may be that independent and free sites such as this reach enough people to turn it around.. If only people could see this system, it would die.

Peace Unity and Love in the name of Iyesus Kristos and H.I.M Qedamawi Haile Selassie Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Emperor of Ethiopia.
Bless

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 2/22/2015 1:30:31 PM

What the I GARVEYS AFRICA is saying is indeed true.Observing nature and overstanding through experience,wich can also be seen as experimenting may also be seen as science.But the thing is that this kind of observing and experience occurs naturally with everyone because everyone observes nature and life as they develop and learn from experience that the rotten apple is bad etc.and therefore this would make everyone a scientist because everyone observes and learns throughout life consciously and subconsciously.

But I think what Humble One Joe is saying basically is that many times scientists may play smart and go into things wich really don't matter and miss out the big picture of divine creation and common sense.And here I mean scientists who actually work in labaratories and at times go into unimportant details wich don't help to truly overstand nature and how it works.

The science the I was bringing forward as an example here is really common sense and knowledge.A man knowing that inhaling water will drown him through observation and knowledge or knowing wich herb to eat to cure a certain illness doesn't necessarily define himself as a scientist.So it's about choice of words really.
Cause when most people speak of science they think of men in white coats in labs with microscopes not bush doctors with herbs.

Blessed love to all
Haile Selassie I
Empress Menen

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 2/22/2015 8:05:56 PM

Yes I, but its the people a do that. Its not through the science whe make dem do that, some people are badmind predetermined no matter what field they will enter. And some people don't business to work for babylon or an unconscious employer and do some lowly works for a money; put that on people, not on the ancient sciences. His Majesty say for good and for bad.

'Experience shows that it has invariably brought great dividends to those who use it for good purposes while it has always brought incalculable harm and damnation to those who use it for evil purposes.'

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 2/22/2015 8:37:50 PM

I-man agree on that.
But I'm speaking of the association that often comes with the word science being related to the badminded people the I mentions.And this is why many prefer not to call it that or even burn science altogether yet while dealing with those ancient teachings and wisdom wich could be seen as science still.So I guess it's more about having different definitions of what science is.
The ancient scientists may have been more spiritual and wise than the average scientist in the west today.
But it all comes down to the personal intentions and views of scientists,that's true.Nothing wrong in science in itself.
Knowledge is power.

Messenger: Humble one Sent: 2/24/2015 3:09:07 AM

And where would the scientific advancement stop? Intentionally or unintentionally, good or evil intentions, the further we become seperated from the natural order of things, the more man loses his vision.

Often what we think of as "advancement" is actually at a cost of other animals on the planet; this is because we as humans think that we are the most important creatures on the planet. If anything, we are far too advanced already, as humans rule every corner of the earth.

E.g the invention of the bus, just to give one example. On the surface one thinks "It gives us much more comfort, allows us to travel longer distances, etc, let us reach previously unreached places".
Well actually, it is one more step away from our lives as they were designed by JAH to be. Before people could travel such large distances, they would be forced to look into their community, to LIVE WHERE THEY ARE. Creates a very un natural environment.

--------------------------------------

However far humans think that they going "up", they must eventually come "down", back to the earth, at which point they will find themselves. Humans are already far, far "up" on other animals. If we lived as Jah designed, we would know ourselves and we would not rule the earth to the extent that we do,

You gave the example that we now know that the apple seed is poisonous, and the example of bush doctors being a science. Does it not occur to you that almost every other animal on this planet manages to maintain a healthy population without all of this research? This is because they live in the environment which jah naturally created for them, and everything is kept natural. They have never really went in to deep research about WHY it works, all they know is that it WORKS, and so they can live in hapiness

All the best,

Joe

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/24/2015 8:59:57 AM

----------------
Well actually, it is one more step away from our lives as they were designed by JAH to be.
----------------

Is it really? Didn't the Creator create us with this ability to make new technology? No other animal can make the kind of things that we do. People's greed is the problem when technology is concerned, because their greed leads them to do destructive things.

Messenger: Sister Sent: 2/24/2015 4:29:17 PM

"Spiritual power is the eternal guide, in this life and the life after, for man ranks supreme among all creatures. Led forward by spiritual power, man can reach the summit destined for him by the Great Creator." HIM Emporer Haile Selassie (19 January 1951)

Man is different to the animals in terms of consciousness, in turn animals are different to plants and plants to rocks. The physical manifestation is a visible record of the past, and the energetic presence the threshold of the future. The more subtle the energy, the harder it is to measure and control. Gross energy (material, physical) is valued over subtler or spiritual energy to the point that science claims it doesn't exist. No balance.

The more detail we look for, the less we can see the whole picture; science has worked out how to manipulate nature and studied to such detail that it has re-created nature / reality now and lost touch completely with 'spirit'. Can we really say that the greater the advancements in science, the greater the advancement in man? All science and technology is an extension of our senses and ideas, but what determines their direction? Usually the military.

Separational thinking - me, mine, reductive scientific thinking, reduces the need for lateral, intuitive thinking (which would once have been a survival tool) and by devaluing it it makes it easier to devalue people that use it. Knowledge / science may be 'power', but, just because knowledge is there and accessible, doesn't necessarily mean it should be used. If consciousness is right it will inform righteous decision making. Rastafari must have a free mind.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 89

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I