Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5965&start_row=21

Rastafarians and Stealing?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 43
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Marcelo León Sent: 1/20/2015 4:14:20 PM

JAH provide for Rasta.

Rastaman work, Rastawomban work. If InI can't find work, InI create the work.

Rasta keep the faith; JAH provide for InI

Rasta don't steal

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 1/20/2015 5:15:58 PM

Black Heart,

Yes I have read the OP's question carefully.
That's when I answered hard drugs are not right.
But I thought I would add that stealing can maybe be justified in SOME situations although i'm talking about it as a last resort in a worst case scenario.
I am not condoning stealing King.Neither am I talking about RasTa being a small thief or stealing from regular people who work hard.
I'm saying if a hungry orphan steals an apple he is not wicked in I eyes.

How can any man decide when someone is disqualified from being a RasTa for making a mistake?
I agree with how Ark I put it,that RasTa needs to blaze away remaining wickedness and excuses.But I sight the word disqualification not the appropriate word to use here.

And about the stereotype thing,Babylon and it's sheep will see Rasta as an outcast most of the time no matter how hard ones try to show them love.Just for smoking Herb and the locks ones are considered antisocial or whatever.So why should RasTa care so much about what those who can't sight RasTafarI Ites think.

Stealing in general is low and wrong.But in other exceptional situations it the only way.I may be talking about situations that don't occur often,but I just thought that I would mention so that when ones see a Ras hustling ones will not be quick to label them a fake Ras without overstanding their situation first.

Bless up InI

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 1/20/2015 7:21:20 PM

Brother. We live in a society. Not every non Rasta ina de society is babylon. Babylon is evil so anyone dat does evil things like stealing is babylon. In de society deh some good people who are not in de Rasta trod & some of dem know nothing about Rasta besides dreadlocks & ganja. When dis people see dread stealing de impresion dem get is dat Rasta is a criminal, which aint true. Some people dis Rasta not because dem are bigots like others but because dem got de wrong info about Rasta. Do good.

Messenger: JK Wango Sent: 1/21/2015 1:42:51 AM

This thing of stealing misrepresents rasta real bad. Most places I go in Nairobi people consider themselves 'Waras' despite not keeping to the livity. Now if I tell one Iman is a rasta they start acting different towards I, watching carefully that I dont steal their things. But I never steal and I have to make them overstand the livity. Rasta must not make a living out of stealing. But stealing cant disqualify you from Rasta especially if you are remourseful. If you live next to Idren that make a living from theft, you must educate them but do not ostracize them. Most Rasta could turn to stealing because they have no other idren to keep them strong. I dont see how one cant survive solely on selling herb. If you plant your own herb, it must be enough.
Bless up

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 1/21/2015 6:48:08 AM

Brodas. Rasta is not a joke thing. U can't be thief & be Rasta at de same time, U can't do wrong & get right. Its either u Rasta or u thief. If stealing doesn't disqualify one does it mean it qualifys? No I don't think so, then if not it means stealing does disqualify one from bein Rasta. Even two wrongs cannot make a right. Fire can't be estinguished with fire. & water can't be dryed with water. Rasta may not be a religion but Rasta is a righteous trod. Rasta is ancient hola man.

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 1/22/2015 1:21:19 PM

Yes Brethren.

But what is evil exactly?
For example killing is evil most would agree and even worst than stealing.Yet HIM army and HIMself have shot at Italians who commited the real evil.
How can someone be disqualified from being RasTa by doing something to feed his children?I agree RasTafarI is not a joke and RasTa lives righteously and is no thief.
But there can always be justice and righteousness found in what seems in itself to be 'evil',and there can always be corruption and wickedness found in what in itself seems to be 'good'.Like many people see charity as a kindness and a good thing of the western catholics to the poorer nations of the world and yet there is evil hidden behind this seeming good.
The real evil is they who made it so for some people that the only way for them to get ahead is to commit a sin not the ones who have no other choice but to do it.
And then these are also disqualified from that wich shows them the light in the darkness and gives them a hope for a better way if they are RasTafarI?Doesn't make much sense to I.
I'm not trying to justify the regular city thief and his wickedness.I'm talking about extremes where people live in complete poverty and have to survive.
And I'm not talking about stealing only,but selling Herb for example is also considered to be evil by babylon and many people living in her.
InI judgements must not come from a man made law or Babylon but from our own RasTa Iverstanding and conscience.

Blessed love

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 1/22/2015 8:36:11 PM

His Majesty & his army were defending de land & de people of Africa from de invaders. He had no intention of murder in dat war. De one who had intention of wickedess is Mussolini who left Europe & move all de way to Africa to commit atrocities. Besides HIM is man just like any other man, he faced his own challenges & had his own mistakes since no man is perfect. Stealing is evil brother, I bn tryin to tell u. Poverty doesn't give no one no right to steal. U are not servn any justice by stealing.

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 1/22/2015 9:06:38 PM

Brother. It seems u are de one dat is mis-informed abt Rasta. Rasta is not gangstar. Rasta is livity so what qualifys one to be Rasta is de way one live. To be Rasta u just live clean. Rmember de Binghi chant dat seh "only with a clean hands & a pure heart I must see Jah". Dat chant shows dat as a Rasta one haffe try by all means to be holy. Offcourse I know man aint perfect but atleast Rasta is free from pre-meditated evil like stealing. When u steal no one but u disqualify yoself from Rasta.

Messenger: RAS NATE Sent: 1/23/2015 3:36:14 PM

Yes HIM did defend His people and country by shooting back at the beast army and by doing so HIM didn't make a mistake or commit evil.So this is an example of what I've been trying to explain,that in itself evil is evil but in some circumstances it's not really evil.I have not been 'misinformed about RasTa' or believe RasTa is always a gangster like in some movies.But I am also a man equal to the next man so I can't judge who is disqualified from being RasTa for doing so and so.
Of course I agree there are certain things that RasTa wouldn't do no matter what and would rather die.Like cannibalism to survive etc.
But stealing from a corrupt businessman is not comparable to such things.

If the I pays close attention to I posts then the I would see that I agree with what you are saying at some points.Untill the point of disqualification and wicked bloodsucker judgement in WHATEVER CASE.Like some man makes a mistake repented for and not repeated afterwards.
We both have our own opinion on this and that's fine.Again I am against regular theft and say RasTa must live upfull,but in some circumstances it may be Iverstood and forgiven.Iman done here.

Live Up
Selassie I reign

Messenger: Sister Sent: 1/23/2015 4:06:25 PM

"But I am also a man equal to the next man"

..not so, Ras.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 43

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I