Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=540&start_row=11

Chanting down Babylon - The Rastafari Reader

1 - 1011 - 12
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 1/7/2005 7:45:41 AM

Thank you, Im glad you had it atleast in mind.

Ras ElIjah

Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 1/7/2005 8:58:34 AM

Brethren and Sistren,

Yes it seems to be the biggest challenge, even more so "online" to overstand the meaning of someone's words when reading or hearing them. I did overstand Teff as asking if she had seeked her past relatives in her family tree. But I can see how the I could have seen it as a negative remark.

As Marley said: Listen to what I say to overstand what I am saying (something like that). If InI just listened/read the words of the question without any subjective feeling that it could have been a negative question, then we can overstand it without putting the negative spin on it. If Teff had meant it in a negative way I believe he would have added some identifier to it to make it a negative. Since many people do make sarcastic remarks and negative remarks and try to give thereby a sentence/statement another meaning opposite to what they are saying (know what I mean?) it brings confusion among people about what the message really is. It is word trickery.

I will try to only read/listen to the word and not try to put it in a negative if it seems like it could be layed out two ways.

Respect,

Bergy

1 - 1011 - 12

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I