Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5340&start_row=31

Bredrens, do you read the Bible as the literal word of God or only as a sort of manual?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 57
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/8/2013 4:08:14 PM

THE STORY OF JONAH AND THE BIG FISH

- you believe this? really though?

Jonah 1 &2, KJV:

1:17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

2 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the fish’s belly. 2 And he said:

“I cried out to the Lord because of my affliction,
And He answered me.
“Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
And You heard my voice.
3 For You cast me into the deep,
Into the heart of the seas,
And the floods surrounded me;
All Your billows and Your waves passed over me.
4 Then I said, ‘I have been cast out of Your sight;
Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.’
5 The waters surrounded me, even to my soul;
The deep closed around me;
Weeds were wrapped around my head.
6 I went down to the moorings of the mountains;
The earth with its bars closed behind me forever;
Yet You have brought up my life from the pit,
O Lord, my God.
7 “When my soul fainted within me,
I remembered the Lord;
And my prayer went up to You,
Into Your holy temple.
8 “Those who regard worthless idols
Forsake their own Mercy.
9 But I will sacrifice to You
With the voice of thanksgiving;
I will pay what I have vowed.
Salvation is of the Lord.”
10 So the Lord spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.

DISCUSSION:

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 11/8/2013 5:19:31 PM

I don't believe Jonah was literally in the belly of a big fish but I can certainly relate to feeling as if my trials and tribulations are dragging me into the depths. Sometimes I take longer than Jonah to ask RasTafarI for help

Blessed love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/8/2013 6:06:01 PM

So not the literal word of god right?

Messenger: Matthew Sent: 11/8/2013 7:23:56 PM

It's certainly the teachings of RasTafarI so it carries the word sound of RasTafarI . Spiritually it's RasTafarI word. The bible is a spiritual guide so it doesn't necessarily have to make sense physically or scientifically. Instinctively the bible should resonate.

Blessed Love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/8/2013 8:23:40 PM

It's either the literal word of god or not as pertaining to the question of the thread title. Basic concept is many people still to this day a follow the bible as a literal word of god. That phrase doesn't need an explanation. I feel say your not a literalist and you have a brain you just a back from say it. No problem using he bible as an allegorical text ie story's with meaning but not necessarily historical or physical reality. That is the question at hand?

Messenger: Raybob Sent: 11/8/2013 8:44:12 PM

InI read bible literally. I believe Jonah was in belly of a big fish, but that was not your every day fish. Jah's word tells us that He prepared a special fish just for this event. I believe it. "Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah."

To the I, every word in Jah word is literal. In the past, when I didn't think it was, it was only my limited education from schools and teachings of men that had me thinking it couldn't possibly be literal. Jah knows better.

Messenger: DURU Sent: 11/9/2013 3:28:31 AM

blessed to all

Yes I,Iyah oats, what i refer as Haileselassians are the sheeps , which dont think but follow or believe without even questioning it , which are asleep ,no difference with d religous dogmas and religions,or fanatics , which simply is the reason religions and politic have power ,a priest or a presidents are the sheperd , and when d sheperd says jump d sheep jump ,left then dem go left ,without thinking but simply following and eliminating mans logic simply to protect man belief which is in fact d bondage which InI need to be free from ,this is why many Rasta believe that HIM drew a bird on a paper then suddenly became a real bird ,or HIM is a superman or higher than InI and many Rasta believe HIM will be coming back on Judgement day and rule d earth with eternal peace ,joy and Happinesseyc... thats what happen to mans Intellect when not used , its like children believing on santa claus or a tooth fairy , there is a hidden greed and fear on such beliefs ,why? its part of a european mentality (not all but d most) the greed of going to heaven and fear of going to hell is d foundation of those believes and to cover it up dem say dem love God ,and d same time dem ppl must fear god because god is jealous and d same time god is love , question? how can a god is love bun him own creation eternally simply by not worshipping him ? and d fact is that god wat dem refer is pure "concept" only and now many Rastas try to combine dat concept to HIM as d God dat can be seen , which actually will be d downfall of Rastafari ,since d Origin and Goal of Rasta is contrary and actually d freedom from dat concept and return from d ancient way ,d African way ,that is d only closest way to Refer what God is "Life" itself , example d story of Osirus when killed by his brother seth(symbolic for ego,personality , cause of pride),and redeemed by his son horus with d help of his Isis and thot then Osirus lived again ,is a african mythology and was d center of any spirituality on any cultures only with changed names ,but d point of this story is :Osirus(Ausar) symbolizes the the Awakened one or super consciousness or god d father in christianity, when osirus is dead means if man is not conscious at all ,and Identified to d personality given by parents,experience and society this is d "me"ego"Seth(Mind), Horus(Heru) is d consciousness that is being aware of being d ego ,while Isis(Auset)symolizes Love or Compassion while Thot as d knowledge and wisdom, the story simply explains InI how to gain consciousness of InI greed ,desire ,fear which is all implanted on InI subconscious mind ,to be conscious of it is d battle of seth and horus itself but knowlede and compassion is needed as well to defeat seth , this is d whole practice of spirituality to be life again or born again, because man that is not aware of its own miseries ,fear,desire ,greed ,pride,are same as zombies because of not being conscious same as being dead itself , to be Ausar or Osirus ,is to be a buddha ,krishna,Christ,mithra,mahavira ,bathala,HIM etcc... meaning Awakened or Aware of self Bondage of brainwashed society or idealogy given to InI , as a Rastafari is to represent what HIM did Through d Inpiration InI have towards HIM a Transformation of consciousness happened and still keeps on happening ,every lie dat Has been thought to I is burned(fiyah simply means consciousness,through light I man can see,Eyes are Opened)and through observation in Life most of d crime that is happening besides Poverty or that keeps InI in Poverty is through those Idealogy that dem are not even is "Aware"of or still dead like zombies , InI is Life ,this is why InI livity is for a better life including everything in it , InI is a leader not a Follower ,only blind follows and only with d eyes open leads, InI has been asleep for a long long time,

So long Rastafari call you
So long
So long
For the enemies surround you
Trying to devour you

So long

InI JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/9/2013 9:29:48 AM

Couldn't have put it better myself. DURU I sight the level and study works the I a do. Yes Rasta. Agree with everything you just say. That post should be highlighted and exalted.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 11/10/2013 3:26:02 AM

So what do the Is say about H.I.M glorifying the bible.If Jesus never existed,why then does H.I.M talk about HIM.

Messenger: DURU Sent: 11/10/2013 5:24:13 AM

Blessed to All

Yes I ,Zion Mountain ,HIM Glorify d Bible obviously because HIM is a Christian and Regarding Jesus d point what HIM express about Jesus is d "Characteristics" of being Compassionate but yet Revolutionary, but InI dont need "Only" jesus as an Example ,since Jesus didnt gave an example how to treat a wife just as HIM did with Empress menen , but d point is InI must focus d Origin of Rastafari Movement has nothing to do with Christianity because that came after d Coronation of HIM ,and since most of d GarveyItes and Jamaican ppl where Christians dem used d Bible as a proof of HIM divinity ,this is only because InI still was Indoctrinated with Christian faith for so long that Bible became d tool to show what is divine or not , this is why The Holy Piby(Robert Athlyi Rogers),the Royal Parchment Scroll of Black Supremacy(Fitz Balintine Pettersburg) and The Promised Key(Leonard Percival Howell) has been created by InI Elders as Guidance and Mental Repatriation of InI African ppl, and even those books has a biblical influence but its Aim is to glorify InI African Contribution to d world , but d whole point is d purpose of why Rastafari Movement is born ,and its those Biblical dogmas that stains its purpose for Instance dem might say Adam is a Rastafari since dem eat only plants or InI having Locks because of d Nazarite Vow but what about d Mau Mau in Kenya or d Locks of d Ancient Kemet Pharaohs which is hardly mentioned because of being demonized by d Bible or Why is it King Solomon a play boy who has 1000 wives and is a trickster is more Important than Queen Makeda of Ithiopia and so called "Sun Worshiper " and was saved through d faith of a Playboy trickster king?, my point is HIM Blood line is more Ancient than d Bible Itself since d HIM blood line is way back to Ori and d pharaohs in kemet but since ancient kemet is considered by demselves as d children of Ithiopia meaning an older Blood line than Ancient kemet, InI should better focus on HIM,Marcus Garvey,Kwame Nkrumah,Malcom X,Steve Biko,Queen Nyabinghi ,Leonard Percival Howell,Ndeh Ntumuzah,Patrice Lumumba etc..... Instead of d Bible or jesus,

Most Important ,HIM didn,t Founded Rastafari Directly but by Inspired InI Afrikan ppl which was man enough to stand up for InI rights and just as I always said HIM is InI Inspiration which InI lacked on dat time , and an Afrikan term of Messiah is Iself as Rastafari a Union ,meaning what HIM stands for is what I stand for too ,I redeem Iself not HIM ,I is responsible for I failure and achievements , I is Rastafari and HIM as I Inspiration am Manifested as HIM , this is why InI are d King of King and Queen of Queens this why InI have d Locks as Symbol a Lion and Again not a Sheep, only problem at d Moment is d Eurocentric Version of Rastafari which seems to b Dominating but Truth is Truth and Lies are lies , Truth is one and solid but lies are many but weak , this is why only truth can be known and only lies can be believed on , d Deeper d Roots d Higher is d Tree !

InI JAH RASTAFARI

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 57

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I