Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5327&start_row=1

meaning of "I"

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: NaturalH1gh Sent: 10/19/2013 3:25:19 PM

Hi there people! I am new to Rastafari and I have a really basic question:

What is the meaning and reason behind using "I" in the rasta lingo, inserting it into almost every word possible? What's the reason behind that?

Thank you!

Messenger: jahmyking Sent: 10/19/2013 7:13:15 PM

its like showing a oneness with Jah. and you can use it like I and I for we our and I for you or in reference of someone else. its a very complex term

Messenger: NaturalH1gh Sent: 10/20/2013 3:56:21 PM

yes, also in other words like Ital, Irie, etc..
I don't think I have yet grasped this concept. If someone could try to expand on this that would be nice.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 10/20/2013 11:44:12 PM

NaturalH1gh,

Like Jahmyking said, "I and I" is used to show our Oneness with God (Haile Selassie I).

Rastas often use play on "proper" English words like Ital(vital) and overstand(understand).

Ital means healthy vegetarian food like banana, yam, rice, pea, etc.

Irie means you're feeling good(positive vibes).

Messenger: atvito Sent: 10/21/2013 6:33:03 AM

Yes I (Rasta)tru dat I&I ONENESS.ME & H.I.M or We/Us,One with H.I.M.
JAH BLESS I&I in dis iywa.

Messenger: DURU Sent: 10/21/2013 11:53:03 AM

blessed to all

yes I, Naturalhigh ,it simply means d I in U and and me and everyone else including all creation are all d same I , d words me,you,they are merely words I can be expressed with out words , I is d consciousness that is present to everything.

HAIL I SELAH SEE I

InI JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: NaturalH1gh Sent: 10/22/2013 2:58:27 PM

Thanks for all your replies!

I see now, InI represents the oneness of all creation, be it you, me, they or us... I can understand the concept intellectually, but how does one KNOW everything is one? I hope it makes sense..

Messenger: Raybob Sent: 10/23/2013 5:00:45 AM

InI can also represent the "eye" in "I". Jah spirit within, guiding you is your eye within "I" to guide I.

Messenger: NaturalH1gh Sent: 10/24/2013 11:57:22 AM

I still don't know the answer to this question: How do I know that all creation is One?

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/24/2013 12:06:02 PM

well, how do christians know we all have a soul?
better yet how do christians know only human beings have a soul and all other life is soul-less?

Infact, almost all indiginous practice have a oneness of self and with nature, from times of ancient man have held this concept.

To answer more directly.... Why did Rasta declare HIM as Haile Selassie EYE and not by his Proper title of Haile Selassie the First?

They were identifying with the divinity and everything else they see in HIM, which they see, at least partially in themselves. Two individuals may be different externally but may share the same divinity / soul / chi, or whatever people call it.

HAILE SELASSIE I A INI

is one of the oldest phrases you will her rasta chant. The meaning of that phrase I feel will explain your question?

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I