Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4298&start_row=11

The Gospel of Thomas

1 - 1011 - 19
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: bredren aaron Sent: 5/19/2011 5:16:02 PM

Give thanks for posting this.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 5/20/2011 12:27:11 PM

42. Jesus said: Be one of those who pass by.

43. His diciples asked him: Who are you to say these things to us? Jesus replied: Don't you recognise who I am from what I say to you? You have become like the Jews who like the tree but loath its fruit, or they like the fruit but loath the tree.

44. Jesus said: Whoever blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven. Whoever blasphemes against the Son will be forgiven. But whoever blasphemes against the Son will be forgiven. But whoever blasphemes against the Spirit will not be forgiven, neither on earth nor in heaven.

45a. Jesus said: They do not pick grapes from brambles, nor do they pick figs from thistles, for these do not yield the proper fruit.

45b. A good man brings good things out of his storehouse, but a bad man brings bad things from his storehouse (which is in his heart). And he says bad things. For out of the surplus in his heart he brings out bad things.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 5/27/2011 9:39:37 AM

46a. Jesus said: From Adam to John the Baptist, no one born of a woman is above John the Baptist, so that he should not lower his eyes.

46b. But I have said: Whoever among you becomes like an infant will know the Kingdom and be greater than John.

47a. Jesus said: One person cannot ride two horses at once, nor stretch two bows,

47b. nor can a servant serve two masters, as he will respect one and despise the other.

47c. No one drinks vintage wine and immediately wants to drink fresh wine.

47d. Fresh wine is not put into old wineskins because they might burst. Vintage wine is not put into new wineskins because it might be spoiled.

47e. A patch of old cloth is not sewn onto a new garment because it would tear.

48. Jesus said: If two can make peace between themselves in a single house, they can say to a mountain, "Move!" and it will move.

49. Jesus said: Blessed are the single ones and the chosen ones, for you will find the Kingdom. Because you emerged from it you will return to it.

50a. Jesus said: If they ask you, "Where are you from?" reply to them, "We have come from the place where light is produced from itself. It came and revealed itself in their image.

50b. If they ask you, "Are you it?" reply to them, "We are his Sons. We are chosen ones of the living Father."

50c. If they ask you, "What is the sign within you of your Father?" reply to them, "It is movement. It is rest."

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 5/28/2011 6:00:43 PM

Here is a link to a documentary about the Gospel of Thomas:

The Lost Gospels

Messenger: King Jam Sent: 9/4/2021 6:17:39 AM

what could be meant by this

Jesus said to them: If you fast you will bring sin to yourselves, and if you pray you will be condemned, and if you give to charity you will damage your spirits.

it seems so contradicting to what's in the bible.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 9/4/2021 3:03:28 PM

Yes and even the bible seem to contradict its self so much. For example "A eye for a eye" vs "turn the other cheek". JAH want us to be critical thinkers, knowing there is always going be different situations that call for different actions. The world could not turn the other check on the Nazies, but Ghandi was able to find victory in India over England by turning the other cheek.

If we contemplate this quote: "If you fast you will bring sin to yourselves, and if you pray you will be condemned, and if you give to charity you will damage your spirits."

When Jesus Christ fasted in the wilderness for 40 days Satin came at him tempting him with sin upon sin. When we fast we must also pray to resisting fiving into the sin that we bring to ourselves.
When we pray the enemy mocks us, condemns us and does all he can to discourage us, Satin condemns and accuses us when we pray trying to get us to stop. As for damaging our spirits by giving to charity remember this utterance:

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly."

Messenger: King Jam Sent: 9/4/2021 4:58:47 PM

bless,

i always thought that last quote was about fighting,

thanks for the wakening.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 9/4/2021 5:24:34 PM

Bless up, and just for clarity alms basically means charity

Messenger: King Jam Sent: 9/11/2021 4:12:40 AM

what kind of shit is this

1 - 1011 - 19

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I