Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3936&start_row=1

Chicago Article

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 5/5/2010 9:25:34 PM

I found a speech of Selassie I when I was watching a youtube video by Ras Lietu.

At 4:12 into the video, the video shows an article about Haile Selassie I visiting a Church in Chicago.

Here is the article:

Selassie Lauds US Negroes in Surprise Chicago Church Visit

Speaking to a crowded Chicago Baptist Church audience on a visit arranged on only two hours notice, Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie made the strongest race relations statement of His current US tour.

For the first time, the world famed 62 year-old Conquering Lion of Judah linked His country with American Negroes whom He said were of African descent, and spoke out in praise for the Negro struggle for equality in the US. Applauded throughout His eight minute speech, the slight, bearded King, clad in a gray business suit, said:

“It is only natural that we Africans should follow with deepest interest the inspiring achievements and contributions of the colored groups of the United States. By your actions, your devotions and your sacrifices, you are justifying everywhere throughout the world the advancement of the cause of racial and social equality and the right of all people to freedom and independence."

He concluded: “We believe in the truth of the Christian religion that all men are created equal before the throne of God and it is our hope that this universal truth will be the basis of relations between peoples and nations."

A throng of 3,000 inside and outside the South Park Baptist Church cheered wildly when King Selassie, in recalling the support of Negros at the time of the “Fascist aggression against Ethiopia,” said:

“We felt in those difficult hours that in Our fight for independence we were not standing alone but that the peoples of African origin throughout the world were with us through their moral and material support.” Earlier, the grim faced ruler of 15,000,000 subjects, flanked by clusters of police and security men, toured key Chicago industries. Following the rugged industrial tour, the Emperor asked to visit the Negro Church, since tour sponsors had failed to include a Negro stop on the schedule.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/10/2010 10:32:20 PM

Truth and Right. RasTafarI made sure to see His people.

Messenger: Sister Ifua Sent: 5/14/2010 8:37:12 AM

HIS people? Everyone is His people. He just didn't like to ignore one of them like the organizers did. The earth is the LORD's and the FULLNESS thereof. Every colour and nation is HIS.

Sister Ifua

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/14/2010 9:15:59 AM

Relax Sistren, don't get offended so easily.

There were other groups of specific nationalities that live in America who the organizers did not schedule, and Selassie I didn't make sure to change the schedule in order to see them, but he did that for the children of African slaves.

So it is not simply a case of "Everyone is His people. He just didn't like to ignore one of them like the organizers did". It was a specific one of his people that he didn't want to ignore.

It is true that Selassie I is God of all, and recognizes the common lineage and bond between all people, but His closeness to Africans can't be denied. It is evident in the words he speaks.

I would broadly say wherever there is African blood there is a basis for greater unity. We must also help each other in our endeavours to expand education, to raise the standard of living of our respective peoples.

That is just one example of many. Take a look at the speeches on this website and the I will see much more.

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 5/20/2010 11:00:07 AM

Ras Lietu is Prince Hotep who used to reason on this forum.

-RSK

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 6/30/2010 1:13:05 PM

Check Ras Lietu's website

Tiesus Kelias

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I