Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3737&start_row=1

voodoo

1 - 1011 - 14
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: rootzrasta Sent: 11/9/2009 3:58:26 PM

Do most Rasta's have interest in voodoo or roots since it is a African religion and culture?

Because in one of Peter Tosh interviews he said he went to Africa and a root doctor turned him into a lion or tiger.

Messenger: Nyah Nicholas Sent: 11/9/2009 6:19:27 PM

I personally do not know much about that culture in itself....

I know bredren who know some things about West African Voodoo though.

I am wondering, if its a western culture normality to associate certain herb and roots and bush medication practices as voodoo. If that may be the case, since some would look at voodoo as a "dark art" so-to-speak, then what makes it so is One's perception upon the theory of the practice itself.

Also, here in America, in the Midwest Region is where my families roots are. Our Bloodline is mostly Native American, but with it is African and European lineage. Growing up, I was exposed to a Brotherhood of Troditions through the Native American Elders; being involved with a Man's Right of Passage; a certain tradition involving Peyote experiences and a Village Shaman. There are Fungi that I have used to ascertain facts of LIfe through a plethora of Reality. For I they are Good, Natural things. I Cant speak for anyOne else though. Since I feel like I have an Ivine overstanding of these things used ceremonially, I can say that they are good.

I wonder still if these things that I do have experience with can be "cataloged" with voodoo that One asks about. If so, then I guess my answer to your question would then be Yes, I do have a type of interest in those things.

Bless

Messenger: RootsTafari Sent: 11/10/2009 2:52:04 AM

mek I reply in a bit..

Messenger: RootsTafari Sent: 11/10/2009 2:52:43 AM

irie ites!

oftentimes, ppl call what they dont overs many tings. when da white man come wit him religion, he wanted I and I fi deal away wit our culture and said what we'r doin is witchcraft/voodoo etc. is a 'Ifrica' ting dat then it spread to the world. we are di mystics ppl and dis ya ting is what we used even dating back fiddi Incient Egyptian times. cause its mystery and dem nuh overs, dem seh 'witchcraft' dis 'witchcraft' dat. "colorless bwai! nuh call I culture witchcraft!" :-(

"Since nobody can interfere in the realm of God we should tolerate and live side by side with those of other faiths. In the mystic traditions of the different religions we have a remarkable unity of spirit. Whatever religion they may profess, they are spiritual kinsmen. While the different religions in their historic forms bind us to limited groups and militate against the development of loyalty to the world community, the mystics have already stood for the fellowship of humanity in harmony with the spirit of the mystics of ages gone by..."
-HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I speaks
the mystics have already stood for the fellowship of humanity in harmony with the spirit of the mystics of ages gone by
I dont like it when ppl oppose I art as was given unto I and I by HIM Black Supreme. I'm not directing it to anyone in particular, just vexes I dat ppl go around callin certain ting dem nuh overs bad ting.. I believ what Peter said.. mystics are Ifrican, yes; some learn it and then you get those who got a 'calling' and a divine revelation ie instead of 'learning' we 'know' coz it was revealed to I and I.

ilie :-0

Messenger: Nyah Nicholas Sent: 11/10/2009 6:25:34 AM

InI right there with the I. Giving thanks all the while still...

InI are the the worlds mystic peoples.

HM Bless Itinually

Messenger: RootsTafari Sent: 11/10/2009 6:33:21 AM

selam :-0

Messenger: Life Africa Sent: 12/10/2009 10:33:23 PM

There is nothing wrong with voodoo. It is using the forces of nature and the wisdom of those forces past down by our ancestors. It is the media, and western theology that has tried to demonize our ancestors practices.

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 12/11/2009 7:58:41 AM

I have gone in a circle and have decided Pete Tosh is not a Priest or Prophet. He is a musician singing psalms to David, not of himself but through himself. Same for Bob Marley.

Messenger: rootzrasta Sent: 12/11/2009 5:01:34 PM

He is a musician singing psalms to David, not of himself but through himself. Same for Bob Marley.

Yaa Asantewa,

what do the i mean by that?

Messenger: Life Africa Sent: 12/14/2009 7:55:13 PM

I am not too familair with Per Tosh lyrics. But I am familiar with Bob's lyrics. I also know that a prophet must prophecy. If this is the case, then Bob Marley would stand out to me as a prophet. The few songs I heard of Tosh, he was definetly a spirtual man, but I can not confirm if he is a prophet.

1 - 1011 - 14

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I