Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3696&start_row=1

Locusts

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 10/4/2009 11:28:44 AM

Revelation 9:7

7] And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
[8] And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
[9] And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
[10] And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.
[11] And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.
[12] One woe is past; and, behold, there come two woes more hereafter.

I was reading this passage in Revelation and I was wondering what the locusts are. Is this symbolic language, or are the locusts actual creatures? Will they be aliens or something? Or maybe some type of advanced aircraft?

This is something that will be hard to determine until it actually happens, I was just wondering what the I them opinions are on who or what the locusts are.

In Exodus, JAH sent a plague of locusts on Egypt.

Exodus 10:12

[12] And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand over the land of Egypt for the locusts, that they may come up upon the land of Egypt, and eat every herb of the land, even all that the hail hath left.
[13] And Moses stretched forth his rod over the land of Egypt, and the LORD brought an east wind upon the land all that day, and all that night; and when it was morning, the east wind brought the locusts.
[14] And the locusts went up over all the land of Egypt, and rested in all the coasts of Egypt: very grievous were they; before them there were no such locusts as they, neither after them shall be such.
[15] For they covered the face of the whole earth, so that the land was darkened; and they did eat every herb of the land, and all the fruit of the trees which the hail had left: and there remained not any green thing in the trees, or in the herbs of the field, through all the land of Egypt.

In Leviticus, locusts are classified as "clean" food

Leviticus 11:21

[21] Yet these may ye eat of every flying creeping thing that goeth upon all four, which have legs above their feet, to leap withal upon the earth;
[22] Even these of them ye may eat; the locust after his kind, and the bald locust after his kind, and the beetle after his kind, and the grasshopper after his kind.
[23] But all other flying creeping things, which have four feet, shall be an abomination unto you.

John the Baptist ate locusts

Matthew 3:1
[1] In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
[2] And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
[3] For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
[4] And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/6/2009 9:10:46 PM

As the I can see from the description, they are not the same locusts that were spoken of in the Old Testament.

It is most likely symbolic, like most of the creatures described in Revelation.

I am not sure what exactly they are.

Several years ago, an Idren was telling I that he thinks they are RasTafarI people, because it was Selassie I who was given the keys to the bottomless pit. And he said that the long hair was I and I locks and our chanting is our sting.

I don't think it is RasTafarI people.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/7/2009 10:54:42 PM

Before we even think of deciding who or what the locusts represent, i think that we must first try to decide who or what is represented by the name Apollyon, "a king over them"
It is necessary to reason and know, on which side does Apollyon stand, the right or the wrong ?
Considering who or what Apollyon represents, there seems to be no middle ground, either he is a servant of God or he is a variation on the devil or Lucifer
So to know who or what Apollyon, "their king", is, would make it easier to think about who or what his, shall we say, subjects, the locusts, are.

We know that Apollyon is greek for "destroyer"

Ark i wrote from what his idren told him that, " it was Selassie I who was given the keys to the bottomless pit."

I do not know about that
As far as i know the first time that the words bottomless pit are used in the bible is right here in Rev.9:1
"And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit."
So i do not see anything to suggest that Christ was given the key to the bottomless pit.

Ofcourse we already know from Rev. 1:8
"I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death."
This is spoken by the voice that says, I am the Alpha and Omega..; I am the first and the last.
So we can be sure that Christ holds the keys of "hell and death"

The keys of hell and death, does not mean, the keys to the bottomless pit

Death and hell are not meant to signify places where one goes, but are states of being
"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire" Rev.20.14

So when Christ says, "I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death", i think that it is more akin to what He says in Matthew 16:19, than to the bottomless pit
"And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Going back to Apollyon. Who is he?

In the song Armaggedon, Bunny Wailer sings

"In the beginning, there was but one concept,
And that's the concept of I.
Then arose Apollyon, the Devil
- Satan! Satan! -
claiming that it's you and I."

This is one side of the opinion.

In Rev 9:1, it says, "I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth"

This line is very reminiscent of the passage from Isaiah
"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!"

Is this why Bunny Wailer sings those words?

Another thing that we can call to attention is the word "given", when the bible says, "and to him was given the key to the bottomless pit"

As we can see from Rev 13, that the beast with the name of Blasphemy is GIVEN unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations."

or in Rev 6
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was GIVEN unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

So, is this beast who is given (allowed) a certain time to make war against the saints, this death who is given (allowed) power to kill, the same lucifer/satan/fallen star who is given (allowed) to hold the keys to the bottomless pit for a certain time ?

On the other hand....there are problems to this opinion

Apollyon, this "king" of the locusts is also mentioned as "the angel of the bottomless pit"

This would beg the question, is the angel mentioned here, the same angel from Rev. 20 ?

"And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years"

If that is the same angel, then clearly, the angel of the bottomless pit cannot be the fallen lucifer, but rather, a servant of the Most High God, an angel.

Ofcourse anyone thinking about locusts cannot escape thinking about Exodus and the plagues of Egypt.
But if we can find locusts in both the books of Exodus and Revelation, then, can we also find Apollyon in Exodus, as we find it in Revelation ?

There is no direct mention, but there might be a reference there....remembering that Apollyon means destroyer
Interestingly, it is not where one would expect to find it, i.e, the plague of locusts, but instead during the last plague, the death of the first born of Egypt.
"Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel, and said unto them, Draw out and take you a lamb according to your families, and kill the passover.
And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the bason, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the bason; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning.
For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the DESTROYER to come in unto your houses to smite you.
Agian, is this a variation on lucifer, or is it a servant of God performing the Most High´s will and command ?
Or is he the same lucifer who is just being allowed to bring this plague upon Egypt?

If we approach the word "destroyer" in this manner, then reading from Psalm 17
"Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer."
This would again suggest that it is a variation on the personification of evil and wrong, satan.

Personally, i find that , although we cannot be sure that it is the same angel that is mentioned in Rev 9 and Rev 20, i think it is the strongest indicator of who "Apollyon" represents, although i see that my thinking that it might be the same angel is not without its problems.
For one, the angel in Rev 20 is said to have a great chain in his hand. There is no mention of a chain in Rev 9
And two, and more importantly, the angel in Rev 20 is said to "come down" from heaven while the angel in Rev 9 falls from heaven.

But i still think this is the best clue to the identity of Apollyon, since both are afterall, angels, and both have the keys to the pit

Besides, we are told about the fallen angel with the keys to the pit only after the fifth angel sounds his trumpet, which he does after the first four angels sound their trumpets, with two more angels to follow.........seven angels which stood before God with golden trumpets.
This is happening right as the seventh and final seal is opened.
It is a time of Judgement, a time when the wrath of God shall come upon the earth.
why do i say this?
If you look at the book of Revelation, and particularly, the opening of the seven seals, you wont fail to notice that the opening of the first six seals, and the opening of the seventh seal are two distinct events

After the fifth seal is opened, "the souls of them that were slain for the word of God" cried out saying
"How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? "
After this, the sixth seal is opened, and what happens ?
"And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places."
Why ?
"For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?"

Only after this is the seventh seal.
Therefore, i think that everything that happens at the opening of the seventh seal, when the seven angels sound their trumpets, it is all a discription of what God will do, hail and fire mingled with blood, third part of the sea becomes blood, third part of the sun smitten, etc.....including the locusts with their king , the "destroyer", followed by the four angels which are to slay the third part of men, which are loosed only after the very voice of God tells the sixth angel to "Loose the four angels....."

As it says, "one woe is past, and behold, there come two more woes after. "

These are the woes that God will bring down upon an unrepentant world.
This is the vengeance that "the souls of them that were slain for the word of God" are crying out for, and it shall not go unheard

so for now, all things considered, i will disagree with Bunny Wailer

just an opinion

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/8/2009 11:15:18 AM

That is a good point about the angel with the key to the bottomless pit. It doesn't say it is Christ.

I will read the I reasoning in more detail this evening.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/8/2009 8:08:32 PM

Yes I, I sight the I reasoning and I agree. Another thing, satan was not in the heavens at the time the fifth angel sounded, he fell down a long time before.

It seems like the destroyer is the angel used to cause destruction, to bring forward balance by destroying the cause of imbalance.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 10/11/2009 10:20:35 AM

I was also wondering if Abaddon/Apollyon (In Hebrew means the Destroyer) is an angel in the service of God used to bring forth punishment. So Abaddan must be different than Satan. There are many examples of the Lord using these angels in the Bible. Exodus is one of the most prominent.

Exodus 11:1-10
[1] And the LORD said unto Moses, Yet will I bring one plague more upon Pharaoh, and upon Egypt; afterwards he will let you go hence: when he shall let you go, he shall surely thrust you out hence altogether.
[2] Speak now in the ears of the people, and let every man borrow of his neighbour, and every woman of her neighbour, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold.
[3] And the LORD gave the people favour in the sight of the Egyptians. Moreover the man Moses was very great in the land of Egypt, in the sight of Pharaoh's servants, and in the sight of the people.
[4] And Moses said, Thus saith the LORD, About midnight will I go out into the midst of Egypt:
[5] And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.
[6] And there shall be a great cry throughout all the land of Egypt, such as there was none like it, nor shall be like it any more.
[7] But against any of the children of Israel shall not a dog move his tongue, against man or beast: that ye may know how that the LORD doth put a difference between the Egyptians and Israel.
[8] And all these thy servants shall come down unto me, and bow down themselves unto me, saying, Get thee out, and all the people that follow thee: and after that I will go out. And he went out from Pharaoh in a great anger.
[9] And the LORD said unto Moses, Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you; that my wonders may be multiplied in the land of Egypt.
[10] And Moses and Aaron did all these wonders before Pharaoh: and the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go out of his land.

Isaiah 37:31-37
[31] And the remnant that is escaped of the house of Judah shall again take root downward, and bear fruit upward:
[32] For out of Jerusalem shall go forth a remnant, and they that escape out of mount Zion: the zeal of the LORD of hosts shall do this.
[33] Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the king of Assyria, He shall not come into this city, nor shoot an arrow there nor come before it with shields, nor cast a bank against it.
[34] By the way that he came, by the same shall he return, and shall not come into this city, saith the LORD.
[35] For I will defend this city to save it for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.
[36] Then the angel of the LORD went forth, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians a hundred and fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses.
[37] So Sennacherib king of Assyria departed, and went and returned, and dwelt at Nineveh.

The Lord sends an evil spirit to Saul

Samuel 16:14-15
[14] But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.
[15] And Saul's servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee.
[16] Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.

Psalm 78:49

[49] He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending evil angels among them.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 10/11/2009 10:29:13 AM

Another thing, I have seen this picture of Selassie I where he is standing in front of this painting with this Biblical scenery behind HIM.
It looks like there are creatures or angels in the picture, I don't know what they are.

The picture that I am talking about is in Jah Bird's Leave the Man Behind video at 3:22 minutes of the song.

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I