Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3008&start_row=11

can you take in alcohol

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 30
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 8/28/2008 3:34:30 PM

Yes I

RASTAFARI LORD OF LORDS AND SAVIOR

RASTA COME FROM ZION RASTAMAN A LION

Messenger: Anthony Humboldt Sent: 11/18/2008 12:09:07 AM

My Father told me that he thinks the scripture looks down on drunkenness and not really the wine itself. I have had a few experiences that I wish never happenned all because I drank to excess. One time at Izes I was reasoning with a guy who said he only ate raw organic vegetarian foods who said alcohol is bad. I told him to remember that the Lord did not turn water into soymilk. My Grandfather told me to consider wine a kind of food, and I think that's how the Bible talks about it. I can't say that alcohol is completely evil, but I would have to say never drink more than a pint of hard alcohol in one night because you might black out and do something stupid. Even though I still drink a little, I think it is inappropriate for Izes because I know it would eventually cause disruption sometime. Alcohol can make people act like animals because it numbs that part that makes man different from the beast. In the end Rastafari will be God even if you drink a 40 so it doesn't matter too much as long as you think first.

Messenger: eve Sent: 11/18/2008 1:06:33 AM

thanks for that Anthony & yes I agree with your grandfather alcohol is like 'food' ..afterall it's source grain & grape are foodstuffs and the process of fermentation can also be occur quite 'naturally'

However it's wise to remember like most foodstuffs & 'beverages' as nice as they are... affect us adversely if we take in too much - and I guess in this respect alcohol is no different.

Every food & drink as it's place and it's purpose.

one love

Messenger: Ten Sent: 11/18/2008 4:47:32 AM

Greetings

I n I nah pass judgement on those that do take alcohol and those that say its irie to drink but I don't believe it has a place in RasTafarI Order. This is because when Ones take the Nazarite Vow in Numbers 6 it tells you to eat nothing of the vine, nothing fermented. I personally can't bring I self to eat grapes because of I associate them with wine even though I know you can make alcohol from virtually anything - potatoes, apples, grains etc. But there are some traditional teachings I rose with and I can't bring ISelf to feel irie with alcohol in RasTafarI. I'm not closed off to reasonings of other Ites but this is just how I feel.

Another thing is that to I, the whole history of the alcohol industry is one built on death, corruption and capitalsm - a deadly cocktail. Look at the drinking cultures of the world over Africans were tricked into selling their land for guns and alcohol, same thing with Native Americans, Aboriginies and now look at how nations of peoples have become addicted or killed bec of alcohol. Yes, yes, I know blame the system not the object, but to I it represents a tool of conquest.

Added to that the drinking cultures of the youth today, pub culture in the UK is bad - on Friday nights you can't even walk through Central London because they are jammed in the bars and people spill over onto the streets. Thousands of them drinking away and that's why they say TGIF! Nonsense!Its not just in the UK but in different places of the globe on ALL Continents alcohol culture has a massive following of youth. It has the effect of making some pple violent, others addicted and so many lose their vision in life because of it. In excess people's physiques change and their personality changes. And when you think of how much the industry makes from pushing alcohol onto the youth its sickening and I can't associate ISelf with that. It has so many effects on the body that they never tell people of and so many die of alcohol-related causes.

This is just I feeling; if I n I seek a bodily livity of a Spiritual Order then I n I cannot associate with things that canker the soul and reek of death. Please note that I'm not ignoring the role alcohol has in religious ceremonies like in some Churches or in some native cultures. I overs it has its place in that particular setting but for I, as a RasTa. I say no, I pass on the drink.

Selassie I Liveth and Reigneth
JAH Live

p.s If "Jesus turned water to wine not soymilk" - well duh! Its a classic defence I've heard from Christians and drinkers. Have y'ever considered it was also the way the people lived at the time, in their culture they drank wine at weddings. BUT whose to say Christ drank it? Whose to say how intoxicating it was?

Messenger: Ten Sent: 11/18/2008 4:47:32 AM

Greetings

I n I nah pass judgement on those that do take alcohol and those that say its irie to drink but I don't believe it has a place in RasTafarI Order. This is because when Ones take the Nazarite Vow in Numbers 6 it tells you to eat nothing of the vine, nothing fermented. I personally can't bring I self to eat grapes because of I associate them with wine even though I know you can make alcohol from virtually anything - potatoes, apples, grains etc. But there are some traditional teachings I rose with and I can't bring ISelf to feel irie with alcohol in RasTafarI. I'm not closed off to reasonings of other Ites but this is just how I feel.

Another thing is that to I, the whole history of the alcohol industry is one built on death, corruption and capitalsm - a deadly cocktail. Look at the drinking cultures of the world over Africans were tricked into selling their land for guns and alcohol, same thing with Native Americans, Aboriginies and now look at how nations of peoples have become addicted or killed bec of alcohol. Yes, yes, I know blame the system not the object, but to I it represents a tool of conquest.

Added to that the drinking cultures of the youth today, pub culture in the UK is bad - on Friday nights you can't even walk through Central London because they are jammed in the bars and people spill over onto the streets. Thousands of them drinking away and that's why they say TGIF! Nonsense!Its not just in the UK but in different places of the globe on ALL Continents alcohol culture has a massive following of youth. It has the effect of making some pple violent, others addicted and so many lose their vision in life because of it. In excess people's physiques change and their personality changes. And when you think of how much the industry makes from pushing alcohol onto the youth its sickening and I can't associate ISelf with that. It has so many effects on the body that they never tell people of and so many die of alcohol-related causes.

This is just I feeling; if I n I seek a bodily livity of a Spiritual Order then I n I cannot associate with things that canker the soul and reek of death. Please note that I'm not ignoring the role alcohol has in religious ceremonies like in some Churches or in some native cultures. I overs it has its place in that particular setting but for I, as a RasTa. I say no, I pass on the drink.

Selassie I Liveth and Reigneth
JAH Live

p.s If "Jesus turned water to wine not soymilk" - well duh! Its a classic defence I've heard from Christians and drinkers. Have y'ever considered it was also the way the people lived at the time, in their culture they drank wine at weddings. BUT whose to say Christ drank it? Whose to say how intoxicating it was?

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 11/18/2008 6:33:48 AM

We can consider the difference between actual wine (naturally fermented fruits or whatever - ginger wine, tamarind wine, and these types of things) and alchohol... which is a substance. I know that fermentation using sugar results in the production of alchohol... even the fermentation of roots wine results in some production of alchohol... but there will be a clear difference between this and the rocket fuel / anti freeze type of stuff they put in alchoholic beverages for sale.

I had some roots wine a little while ago... and it was like drinking liquer. Very nice. But you find thee ISelf sipping it, nibbling the edge of the calabash cup... not really drinking it. It was gorgeous... and definitely ratified by the elders around I... so there did not seem to be a problem with this.

I would suggest refraining from taking alchohol in a babylon setting. It is too unknown. Before I would make a definitive over all rule to Iself... I will wait to sight the palace gates and see what is on offer within. If there is some of that roots wine from last time, I don't mind if I do ;)

Messenger: Ten Sent: 11/18/2008 3:21:05 PM

Sighted Sistren, there is a distinction between the two and the effects and cultures of practice are different. But still for Iself, I nah feel irie with either...ROFL! at the I's last comment ; )

Messenger: JahRosa Sent: 11/19/2008 2:25:38 AM

Bless,
Think about the influence that alcohol could have on I., Nazarine vow, Consult Jah.

Jah Rastafari

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 11/19/2008 6:34:52 AM

Greetings in the name of H.I.M Haile Selassie I Jah RasTafarI!
Haile Salute to I Idren and I Sistren!

The way I and I sight the intake of alcohol is like this:
First of all as bredrin ten say, I and I can't pass judgment on the person.
However I and I can pass judgment on the alcoholic beverage. The way I and I judge most of today's alcohol is unnatural and a tool produced by Babylon for their reasons.

I and I know that even a lot of wine has gone from being solely fermented grape juice now to having a whole bunch of processed added sugars. The same goes for beer, it is no longer fermented barley malt, but a whole bunch of sugars and other chemicals are added.
And spirits; that is a whole other thing; to be honest I and I sight Babylon spirits like vodka and whiskey and scotch and gin and all these other liqueurs as poison. I and I live with roommates at university and I and I see some of them with liqueurs that are blue and red and all sort of color; and I and I know that just by sight these are FAR from natural.

Let us remember the thousands of deaths because of this Babylon alcohol as well. I and I apprecilove I and I life; thus I and I stay away from something that can physically impair I and I and cause I and I to do something that can put I and I in danger.

I and I sight it like this. Alcohol is an intoxicant. First of all I and I hear that and I and I hear the word toxic. Let us remember alcohol CAN actually poison, hence alcohol poisoning. When a someone first tries a Babylon spirit they cough and it hurts and tastes awful; the reason for this I and I sight is that it is poison. It is just after repeated use one gets use to the poison, and as Babylon works, you grow to like the poison. Now it is just I and I's Ipinion, but I and I steer clear from poison.

The other dangerous thing about alcohol (the alcohol produced by Babylon) is that it is physically addictive; therefore if any of the I's them decide to use it, just be careful, and use in moderation.

I and I sight that the wine Christ drank cannot be compared to the alcohol of today. It was completely different. What Christ drink would have been naturally fermented grape juice.
So for an I to compare that wine with a beer produced by Babylon is not doing justice in I sight.

Lastly if one has taken a nazerite vow then one is commanded to refrain from wine and similar drink; and I and I would never advise breaking a vow made with Jah.

At the end of the day what I and I chose to do, I and I always ask how Selassie I Jah RasTafarI view what I and I do. It is I and I feeling that alcohol is not for I and I, and I and I go by I and I Irits. However others may differ; but as Jah for guidance, that is what matters. RasTafarI is a livity according to the way and example of Jah RasTafarI. Therefore I and I sight always do what the I think is pleasing in Jah sight.

Iternal Love!
Iternal blessings and guidance!
Itinual flow of positive Irations into the hearts of I and I, RasTafarI!
Itinual praises unto I and I King, H.I.M Haile Selassie I Jah RasTafarI!

Ras I-Tom

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 11/19/2008 7:35:33 AM

Ras I-Tom,

I agree with the I. Alcohol is a very destructive force. Some of the most destructive things in I life have been caused by alcohol. I think alcohol opens one up to evil spirits as well. I see many get angry, depressed, suicidal from alcohol. One thing about Islam that I really like is that alcohol is completely banned. Alcohol would also break the nazarene vow if I drank it.

I agree that alcohol can be used safely in moderation, and people that want to use it should have the right to do so. I personally am trying to stay away from alcohol because of the very negative things it has done to I. I used to get drunk a lot, but I stopped because of how bad it was to I body and soul.

Herb on the other hand, causes peace and tranquility, irie meditation. So I am fine with just using the hola herb.

It says a lot about Babylon that such negative drugs like alcohol and tobacco are LEGAL in society but a harmless herb with many proven medical benefits remains illegal. Some may disagree, but Iman thinks there is a conspiracy between Babylon government, churches, and pharmaceutical companies to keep Ganja illegal.

PRAISE JAH

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 30

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I