Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2730&start_row=1

Onan

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 4/18/2008 4:56:38 PM

I first question
Ark I,the i said "not wanting to honour your dead brother and follow the custom of bringing forth a child in your brother's name so that his Life line continues"

Onanīs brother Er was said to be wicked in the Lordīs sight, is that a man to be honoured?
Is Jah going to slay a man because he wont honour a wicked man?

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 4/18/2008 4:58:34 PM

oh, i just saw your message. Yes i, i just checked now and i have recieved a few, will reply soon,probably tomorrow Sabbath,i will have time in the evening
Bless
Rastafari

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 4/18/2008 5:07:46 PM

second question

"And Onan knew that the seed should not be his", does that line seem to describe a man who is doing wrong??

i dont know,but what i do know is
if i was to say
"that man there knew that he shouldnt worship idols"...does that seem to describe a man doing wrong?

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 4/18/2008 5:08:49 PM

Third question

who here really thinks that to take your brothers wife after he passes is an honourable thing to do?

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 4/18/2008 5:11:46 PM

remember it was Judah and not JAH Father who told Onan to go unto his brothers wife

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 4/20/2008 3:09:08 AM

What sistren would want to be with her dead husband's brother?

-RSK

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 4/21/2008 6:14:22 AM

Blessed Love

Bro KebreAb, it is not about personal opininon. It is also not about if the man was worth being honored. It simply is about this law which you can literally find in the torah.
You can't expect that JAH let the people write down this law with all significance into the torah, but when it comes to make use of it he just ignores it. That would be a contradiction in the torah, one and the same pentateuch.

Selah

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 4/21/2008 9:53:37 PM

Ras KebreAB,

I Iverstand what the I is saying and I agree that it seems strange to bring forth a seed for a dead brother who was wicked. But that was the custom of the Israelites, whether the brother was good or evil. The custom of bringing up a seed in the name of your brother, with your brother's wife if he dies before having a child is also spoken about in the New Testament when some people asked Christ something about it. And if the I look at it another way. Just like if a wicked man has children, eventually after some generations his descendants might turn to Jah. So if a man brings forth a seed for his brother's wife, then that gives the opportunity for the future generations to turn to Jah.

RasTafarI is Iver merciful, and he even allows the most wicked to live and have children, to give that life line an opportunity to change from their wickedness and turn to righteousness.

But I still wonder about that story and even that custom. I wonder if that custom came from God or from men. And I wonder if God really slew the man or he died for some other reason, and people said Jah slew him to scare others into following that custom.

I don't know for sure, but I would think that many Israelites have not brought forth children with their dead brother's wife, but I haven't heard other stories about men being killed by God for not doing that. Also, if Jah slew him just for spilling his seed alone, then I don't think that many men would be alive today, it is so common that it is spoken about on television shows and promoted in high school health classes.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 4/22/2008 4:06:55 AM

Ises

The context does not leave much space for interpretation. The man was slain because he refused JAH order to give his brother a seed. Remember Sarah when she was not able to give birth, Hagar gave birth at her knees and the child counted as Sarah's (that this is a custom and doesn't really work explains the story of Ismail).
So things like that were not uncommon. It was his duty to give his brother a seed and the first born must bear his brother's name to make sure his name is not erased. You also read that in the commandments for the settling of the 12 tribes. If a woman was the only child and heir she was not to marry out of her tribe so that her father's name and property does not get lost in another tribe.

Ark I, the passage in the NT that you were looking for is when the Saducees were asking Christ about the resurrection at the example of the woman who married brother after brother when they all died.

We must see these customs in the historical context. We also must see that there were many rules regulations and rituals in ancient Israel, of which we know they are religion and man made. Although they are originally with good intention we must look beyond for the source and the core.

Selah

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I