Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2689&start_row=11

The Crash

1 - 1011 - 20
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 1/24/2011 6:12:39 PM

I am currently going through a situation like this with my Dell Latitude D830 laptop that I bought in 2008.

I was having a problem connecting to the internet by Ethernet cable at the apartment I stay at (The only way to access the internet there is Ethernet cable, they don’t have wireless). After trial and error, I determined that the problem was the Ethernet port in the back of the laptop (before that I thought the problem was either the Ethernet cable or the outlet in the wall, so I bought a new cable and changed the wall outlet. The Ethernet Port in the back of my laptop was not working and there was a short in the computer. So I took my computer in to tech support.

Tech support changed the Hard drive and motherboard on my laptop, and I can now access the internet by Ethernet cable. However, they did not transfer the old data to the new hard drive (Tech support thought they had transferred the data, but it didn’t transfer). They also told me that my old hard drive was failing. Tech Support shipped my old hard drive back to Dell last Friday (1/21/11).

So now I am waiting for the old hard drive to be shipped back from Dell (should be about 48 hours) so that I might be able to recover the Microsoft word files that I have written over the past 3 or 4 years. Tech support told me that I might be able to recover the files once the hard drive comes back.

I did not expect to have to change my hard drive just because of an internet connection issue. My computer was working fine (although tech support said my hard drive was going) and was able to connect to wireless internet. The only problem was the Ethernet port in the back of the laptop.

I guess I should have backed up the files before I took in my laptop to tech support, but I honestly was not thinking that this would happen, and I have been busy with schoolwork.

So when dell ships my hard drive back, I may be able to get my old files back.

If I can't get the old files back, its not the end of the world, but still, frustrating.

Im having to re-install all the programs. I reinstalled firefox and microsoft word so far.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 1/24/2011 6:27:40 PM

On the bright side, at least my internet and computer works.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 1/24/2011 9:23:23 PM

Ark I said

---------------
You can't trust computers, harddrives, CDs or even paper, they are too temporary, here today, gone tomorrow.
---------------

Yes I.

Messenger: RootsTafari Sent: 1/25/2011 8:21:42 AM

Blessed!

another way to store your things in a way that i think is best for me is if you send an email to yourself and attach all things in your computer, flash disk etc so you can retrieve them easy. giv thanks.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 1/26/2011 3:12:54 PM

They gave I back my old hard drive and I was able to recover the old files.

However, the next time I make a major change on I computer I will make an external back up before the change, because I could have lost all my files if I hadn't gotten the old drive back.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/28/2011 11:36:45 PM

The I should regularly back up files that are important to the I. A hard drive can go at any time, and there will be nothing to back up before going to tech support and tech support might not be able to do anything about it.

With some work that I do, I save copies of a file adding the date to the filename, so that I can go back to an older version if I need to. I regularly make a cd or DVD backup, especially if I make a significant change that I wouldn't want to lose. And since I often don't have enough changes to fill a CD, I copy other files that I already backed up so if a CD or two stops working, there is a good chance that I have at least one more CD that also has a copy.

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 2/4/2011 9:11:54 PM

So mi come home this evening yeh, and for some reason mi computer was off. When mi lef, it was on and mi external hard drive was plugged in and working fine.
I restarted the computer wid no problems, no error messages, but then when mi try go into my external hardrive, mi cant.
Di external hd is a WD My Book 1110. Mi a work pon Win 7.
When mi plug it in, the WD folder comes up in the drives as normal and i can open dat folder. But normally, another drive is also suppose to come up, labeled My Book(J drive) , and dat is the folder holding all my tings, dat dont come up.
Only the J drive will come up, and when mi click pon dat, it ask, Do you want to format this drive ?
As mi understand it, if mi format the drive, everythin will be lost.

What can i do ?
If i dont format it, mi cant go into the folders, so its di same as losing everything
Is there any possible way to be able to go into mi folders again without formatting ?
If i do have to format it, will i be able to recover anything?

Mi took di ting and tried it pon different computers to see if the trouble was my computer and not di external hd
Pon one computer that mi use the hd pon before, it was di same ting, it say Do you want to format
pon a next computer, the hd acting like its a completely new hd and wants to set up the drive

Almost 5 months of hard work is at risk. I have been saving everything pon di hard drive, thinkin dat i have learned mi lesson of not backin up mi files when last mi computer crash
Jah know, mi a try not to let this disturb i Sabbath iditation, but if mi unable to go into mi files by monday, mi have a serious problem

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/6/2011 11:52:36 PM

Take it too a store that fixes computers, make sure it is a reputable one. They can possibly fix it or recover the files.

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw the message.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 8/22/2011 9:39:30 PM

I backed up I laptop on an external hard disk drive today. After that last experience I had, I want to be prepared for any potential incident, especially because I think the warranty on I computer is expiring soon.

I used a "My Passport Essential SE" portable hard drive.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 12/5/2011 10:40:29 PM

Good thing I got that external hard drive.

I have had to reformat I laptop and reload everything because of a virus.

Technology can only be trusted to a certain extent.

1 - 1011 - 20

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I