Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2510&start_row=1

What did Haile Selassie I say about Islam?

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 12/20/2007 11:19:33 AM

I and I have been very confused regarding Islam. Please refer me to any speeches or articles in which H.I.M. said anything about Islam. I and I will believe whatever it is the H.I.M. said about Islam because I and I believe the word Of JAH.

JAH RASTAFARI
LORD OF LORDS AND SAVIOR

SELAM

Messenger: JAHJAH Love Sent: 12/20/2007 11:43:42 AM

I don't know if His Imperial Majesty ever say anything about Islam specifically, but HIM did say much about raspect for other faiths and unity of spirit.

Visit:
www.himchurch.org

On the homepage of the website at the bottom it cite the word of the Iverliving Haile Selassie I. Those words are InI guide when it come to other spiritual paths.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 12/20/2007 12:07:33 PM

Haile Selassie I never bow to Islam, and would never accept their control, but at the same time he is tolerant and doesn't treat Muslims in a hateful manner. If muslims attack and try to take control, Selassie I will fight and defend His people and land, but if muslims are peaceful, Selassie I is also peaceful.

Here are just a few quotes in reference to Islam.

We have time and again said with regard to the Moslem Community, that the integrity and religious right of everyone should be protected and respected. As laws are being enacted at all times, We have long ago permitted the drafting of laws suited to their religious practices. However, since religion and work go hand in hand, it should be understood that the laws should be practised in a method not detrimental to the unity of a nation. Our Minister of Justice will submit for study the details of the process for the administration of the laws whereupon decision shall be taken.

It is authentic that the Ethiopian Saint Tekle Haimanot was Christ's disciple whom, by observing St. Paul's remark, "who shall separate Us from the love of Christ? afflication or anguish or persecution or hunger or nakedness ..... ?", fulfilled his divine duties, made and rendered several sacrifices and services. Many are the monasteries that owe their existence to him, and innumerable are those who were taught by his disciples. Because of the services rendered by him and holy people like him at a time when Ethiopia was gravely threatened with heathenish and Islamic engulfing, this country came to be known as an Island of Christianity.

Taking advantage of this occasion, We would like to advise Ethiopian bishops and church educators to follow Saint Tekle Haimanot's example, dedicate themselves to this great ideal and save no effort in working and making others work for the propagation of the Christian faith. A brother cannot be of more valuable service to his brother than in this.

According to those who have studied the history of the Ethiopian Church, in the fourth century this Church, strong in its faith, was doing everything that was necessary to enable the Christian religion to spread over all the distant lands in Africa. But the rise of Islam and its constant and progressive growth greatly weakened the strength of the Ethiopian people as Islam defeated, by the force of the sword, the countries in North Africa. But eventually, defending themselves with the heroism which derives from their nature, the Ethiopians overcame the might of the Muslims. They built once again the Church of Aksum at the place to which the Muslims had set fire. It may be said that the rebuilding of this Church is a great good fortune and luck for Ethiopia.

Subsequently he (Ledj Iyasu) sent me a letter direct, written on the 10th of Nahase 1908 (= 17th August 1916), stating: 'I have appointed Harar my own personal governorate; I have placed under your governorship Kaffa and Maji, and under your authority Gurrafarda.'

When the people at Addis Ababa, great and small, heard this, they declared openly: the fact that he (Ledj Iyasu) is taking away the governorship of Harar from Dejazmatch Tafari is not so much for the governorate but because he has been converted to the Islamic faith and for the sake of further rapprochement to the Muslims.
Others again were asking: 'Inform us first about the successor once Ledj Iyasu is deposed'; but the party which approved of Ledj Iyasu's deposition began to grow steadily, since they gladly accepted the opinion when they were told: 'We shall put Emperor Menelik's daughter, Wayzaro Zawditu, on the throne and shall appoint H.H. Ras Makonnen's son, Dejazmatch Tafari, as Crown Prince and Regent.'

When they asked me to enter upon these consultations, (I replied): When I first departed for my father's governorate of Hararge to take up my appointment, Ras Bitwaddad Tasamma took us both (Ledj Iyasu and myself) to the house of the Archbishop, Abuna Mattewos, and caused us to enter upon a covenant, by oaths and invocations, that Ledj Iyasu should not depose me from my governorship of Hararge and that I should not seek his throne by foul means. But now Ledj Iyasu has violated the solemn covenant of oaths and invocations, has dismissed me from my governorship of Hararge, and for my part this is sufficient evidence. Furthermore, I said to them: since you have now convinced me of Ledj Iyasu's conversion to Islam, there is nothing in which I differ from you. And they gave me adequate information by reading out everything they had written, so that it be proof to the people for the future.

Here is a link that talks about the deposition of Ledj Iyasu.

Chapter 7 - From the deposition of Ledj Iyasu on 17th Maskaram 1909 (= 27th Sept. 1916) to the assumption of the crown by Queen Zawditu on 4th Yakatit 1909 (= 11th February 1917)

Our fathers who have maintained our country in freedom for us have offered us their life in sacrifice; so let them be an example to you!

Soldier, trader, peasant, young and old, man and woman, be united! Defend your country by helping each other! According to ancient custom, the women will stand in defence of their country by giving encouragement to the soldier and by caring for the wounded. Although Italy is doing everything possible to disunite us, whether Christian or Muslim we will unitedly resist.

Our shelter and our shield is God. May our attackers' new weapons not deflect you from your thoughts which are dedicated to your defence of Ethiopia's freedom.

Your King who speaks to you today will at that time be in your midst, prepared to shed his blood for the liberty of Ethiopia.

There is also a speech that I don't have on the website where Selassie I speaks about some point in history when the Emperor's of Ethiopia were called the one to keep peace between the Muslims and Christians, or something similar to that.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 12/20/2007 7:39:53 PM

clear cut

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 12/21/2007 11:05:53 AM

Empress Menen is of Islamic lineage, direct descendent of Islamic royalty

Their union, I believe mimics that of Solomon and Makeba

RSK

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 9/9/2011 4:43:42 PM

end of the month-long Muslim abstinence
by Fiqirte Kristos on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 4:56pm

----------------------------------------------
On April 9, 1959, marking the end of the month-long Muslim abstinence, the leading Moslems and a crowd of Moslem residents of Addis Ababa paid their hommage to His Imperial Majesty at the Palace. In a brief extemporaneous reply His Imperial Majesty said :

***God's word is a unifier and a bridge that leads to harmony and peace. Those that you have attered here on this occasion of the end of your abstinence we feel are profound and full of love. Our best wishes go with you and all your coreligionists for a happy return of the day.***

H.I.M. Haile Selassie I
----------------------------------------------

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I