Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2375&start_row=11

Lead us away from temptation and deliver us from evil

1 - 1011 - 19
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: General Nyabinghi Sent: 4/12/2009 9:06:47 PM

Ark I

Well InI have to ask Jah deep in I hearts the meaning concerning these things. However this is what Jah gave the I while reasoning with the good bredren aboard this blessed forum.

Let InI look to Amos 3:6 "Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it"?

If Jah can create evil, then Jah can lead the I away from it. Some of InI have been caught up in the wicked snare of Babylon, and have been killed in the streets by crossfire from gang warfare. Therefore Jah can protect the I's if InI pray to HIM, not to lead InI to evil.

In other words, InI are asking Jah not to place the I's in the path of evil. Violence is evil, whether it is gangbanging or whether it is domestic violence. For a wombman to be beaten is as much evil, as is a man killing another human. Both is wicked and evil.

Now one may pray that Jah will not lead them to evil. Jah may prevent a wombman from going home at a certain time, that could prevent her from being beaten badly and hostpitalized.

I feel that Amos 3:6 explains the origins of evil. Therefore Jah can keep the I's from it's presence if Jah wills it. That is why I man do not tempt Jah and take Jah for granted. Yeshua know that evil was awaiting him by the hands of evil men who would persecute him. Yeshua was being led directly to evil, so that InI could live. Yeshua also asked to let this cup pass, but the father Jah needed him as a sacrifice so that InI could be spared from the wrath of Jah. Yeshua is the sacrificial lamb of Jah.

So to rap this up, InI must know where evil comes from, and when that is determined, InI must know that Jah controls the evil. Jah is not impotent to evil. Jah creates evil to make his power known. Therefore when Jah destroys evil, and his people triumphs over evil, then his power and glory will be made manifest throughout the enitre world.

Romans 9:17 "For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth".

Jah Bless Jah know

Order of the Nyabinghi

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/21/2014 10:26:16 PM

In light of recent Reasonings, I wanted to show a few of the useful things I have Learned with the help of the Bible. Not to tell people to deal with the Bible, just recent reasonings made I think about these Reasonings.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/22/2014 9:50:30 AM

This is one of the arguments the anti-Bible brothers of the conscious community use.

Why subscribe to a God of which you have to ask NOT to lead one into temptation?

This isn't a mistranslation. This is a misconception on the authors part. And goes to show the mindset of the people of the time, everything they do whether good or bad was attributable to God. Total external locus of control. So when they went to War this was on Gods command, God shall send us on ships back into slavery etc. This prayer implies when they are sinful / entering into temptation it is God which sends them there.

This is not the way Rasta see God.

A little fire has to be dashed upon this prayer and I'm glad you can sight it. I wouldn't simply put it down to mistranslation though it's deeper than that.

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 1/22/2014 10:24:01 AM

Dash the FIRE Iyah cuh Fyah fi purification

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/22/2014 3:34:12 PM

Check this quote from Ras KebreAB, an Ethiopian RasTafarI who used to Reason here, when comparing with the Ethiopian translation, it looks like it was likely mistranslated into English

--------------
Idren, if you check the Amharic translation there....where it says the part about "lead us not into temptation. It says

"Wedefetenam Atagban" Ark I the i had the right instinct because if this is translated correctly, it doesnt say, lead us not into temptation.
A more accurate translation would be "Do not let us enter into temptation " or "keep us from temptation.

To say "lead us not into temptation, you would have to write the amharic as "wdefetenam Atasgeban".....see the difference?
--------------

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/23/2014 12:03:02 PM

To deal with the issue of translation one would have to go into the Hebrew texts not the Amharic bible.....

Matthew 6:13 κ;;;;α;;;;ὶ;;;; μ;;;;ὴ;;;; ε;;;;ἰ;;;;σ;;;;ε;;;;ν;;;;έ;;;;γ;;;;κ;;;;ῃ;;;;ς;;;; ἡ;;;;μ;;;;ᾶ;;;;ς;;;; ε;;;;ἰ;;;;ς;;;; π;;;;ε;;;;ι;;;;ρ;;;;α;;;;σ;;;;μ;;;;ὸ;;;;ν;;;;, ἀ;;;;λ;;;;λ;;;;ὰ;;;; ῥ;;;;ῦ;;;;σ;;;;α;;;;ι;;;; ἡ;;;;μ;;;;ᾶ;;;;ς;;;; ἀ;;;;π;;;;ὸ;;;; τ;;;;ο;;;;ῦ;;;; π;;;;ο;;;;ν;;;;η;;;;ρ;;;;ο;;;;ῦ;;;; ὅ;;;;τ;;;;ι;;;; σ;;;;ο;;;;ῦ;;;; ἐ;;;;σ;;;;τ;;;;ι;;;;ν;;;; ἡ;;;; β;;;;α;;;;σ;;;;ι;;;;λ;;;;ε;;;;ί;;;;α;;;;, κ;;;;α;;;;ὶ;;;; ἡ;;;; δ;;;;ύ;;;;ν;;;;α;;;;μ;;;;ι;;;;ς;;;;, κ;;;;α;;;;ὶ;;;; ἡ;;;; δ;;;;ό;;;;ξ;;;;α;;;;, ε;;;;ἰ;;;;ς;;;; τ;;;;ο;;;;ῦ;;;;ς;;;; α;;;;ἰ;;;;ῶ;;;;ν;;;;α;;;;ς;;;; ἀ;;;;μ;;;;ή;;;;ν;;;;

Lead us not into temptation or Not to the evil one.

Blueletterbible.org or hebrewforchristians.com are good references for original Hebrew sources. If I was a follower of the Bible it would be this version I'd have to deal with.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/23/2014 12:32:54 PM

Or Greek, same translation

Messenger: Raybob Sent: 1/23/2014 7:07:20 PM

<"Why subscribe to a God of which you have to ask NOT to lead one into temptation?">

You are mixing the Jah of the bible with the Jesus of the white man's religions. All of white man's religions all say a "Lord's prayer" that includes asking Jah not to lead one into temptation. That same prayer also denies the Kingdom of Jah that came at Pentecost and they pray to Jah for "Thy kingdom come on earth", as if Yahshua hadn't done that already.

Asking for the kingdom to come, and asking God to not lead us to temptation is how folks were instructed to pray "BEFORE" Thy kingdom came. Thy kingdom came to devout men of every nation and tongue on earth. Hundreds of years later, councils of men devised a religion, based on teachings from the bible, but missing the part of the kingdom of Jah, thinking they can make a religion to somehow get to the kingdom that was all around them, but they just didn't have eyes to see it.

Messenger: Raybob Sent: 1/23/2014 7:17:54 PM

<"Either way, however that form of the sentence came about, it is something I don't feel right to say, so that is why I say it differently.

Ark I">

I don't feel right 'saying' a few things in that prayer, especially the part asking the kingdom to come.

The "Lord's prayer" was preceded with instructions on how to pray, as in one on one with Jah, not repeating words in a group.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
(Mat 6:5-7)

That entire prayer was for people before the kingdom came at Pentecost. If there were a "Lord's prayer" it would be John 17, where the Lord prayed for His disciples.

1 - 1011 - 19

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I