Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2335&start_row=1

Bearing sad news

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/19/2007 8:08:08 AM

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa - South African reggae star Lucky Dube was shot in an apparent carjacking attempt and died as he tried to drive away and crashed into a car and a tree, police and news reports said Friday.

The 43-year-old international star was shot Thursday night in front of his son, whom he was dropping off in Johannesburg's southern Rosettenville suburb, according to Police Capt. Cheryl Engelbrecht.

"His son was already out of the car. When he saw what was happening. He ran to ask for help," she said.

Police were looking for the perpetrators, Engelbrecht said.

The Star newspaper reported that three fellow musicians were among the first at the scene.

The newspaper quoted an unidentified witness as saying Dube's son was out of the car, a Chrysler sedan, when the singer was approached by two men who opened his door and shot him twice.

The wounded musician drove away and hit another car, causing him to lose control and hit a tree, the newspaper reported.

South Africa has one of the highest crime rates in the world, recording an average of 50 murders each day. U.N. crime statistics say one in three Johannesburg residents has been robbed.

The pervasive crime has raised concerns about South Africa's hosting of the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

Dube recorded more than 20 albums in a career spanning more than two decades.

Dube's recording company, Gallo Records, paid tribute to its star, the newspaper reported, quoting CEO Ivor Haarburger as noting that Dube had a bigger following internationally than in South Africa.

The singer switched to reggae style in the 1980s to express his anger against South Africa's former racist white-minority regime.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/19/2007 8:33:24 AM

Oh JAH, I'm shocked. How sad.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/19/2007 9:47:09 AM

Be remembered

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 10/19/2007 1:23:48 PM

Ises

I once had the joy to see him live. It was long long ago. I didn't know who he was, I had never heard of him, or any idea how to pronounce his name. But the man had power and something to deliver. I never came across his music again, but I remember his presence very clearly.

Selah

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 10/19/2007 6:49:56 PM

WOW
WAT A TRAGETY
SEEMS LIKE THIS WEEK THAT SPIRIT IS EVERY WHERE
LUCKY DUBE WAS JUST HERE IN OHIO
A MONTH AGO....
BUT YES I
THESE THINGS ARE STRONG THIS WEEK
I PRAY THE NEXT STRONG IS BETTER FOR ALL OF WE

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/19/2007 7:08:10 PM

Blessings
As children we grew up listening to Lucky Dube among the many other records I parents had. My fave song by him is I'm a Prisoner, and those words still ring so true today. He sings, "They won't build no schools anymore, they won't build no hospitals, all they build is the prison prison."
Ises

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/19/2007 7:29:20 PM

And incidentally today is Samora Machel Day, first President of Mozambique who was such a fire leader. I'm convinced the SA apartheid forces had their hand in the air crash because he was giving assistance to the ANC militia and in his own nation's domestic affairs his nationalisation policy was probably too much fire and the apartheid govt got scared. Same way they eliminated Biko, imprisoned Mandela and bombed Harare, they killed Machel.
Its important the truth be told and coming back to Lucky Dube who'd been established at the time of Machel's passing, Dube's music was a form of activism against the regime and he used music to chant down secrecy and downpression even after SA's political freedom because the truth of the past was not fully revealed. "Stand for the truth and you stand alone, government will cover up" (Soldier)
Blessed Love

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 10/19/2007 8:25:46 PM

Give thanks Idren Rook... blessed ights for the forward strong.

InI seal that. Let the coming strong be generous leading us closer unto guidance and salvation.

Emmanuel I Selassie I Jah Ras Tafari

Messenger: Aloe Man Sent: 11/19/2007 6:13:36 PM

Blessed love. Is this Empress Yaa Yaa from EOZ & SA? Idren inna NY trying fi link up.

Give ises.

Messenger: ciriefader Sent: 11/21/2007 5:59:59 AM

oh no
that was my altime favourate band/singer
'REMEMBER ME!' is my altime favourite track

that is so sad
he will go straight to heaven!!

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I