Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2280&start_row=1

Discipline

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 55
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/2/2007 2:00:58 PM

What is the i them opinions on the disciplining of a child.

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes

Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die
Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

Bless
Rastafari is

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/2/2007 3:25:42 PM

Ises
The Code proposed puts it nicely that a child must be raised in the order of righteous and for I that is the discipline and guidance a child needs.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 10/2/2007 4:56:31 PM

I would first explain to I child why what they did is wrong so that I can teach them the Right.

If that didn't work and I other options are used up, I would spank them. I would also spank them if the situation was an emergency and there wasn't time to speak.

My way is to raise I child with discipline when they are very young, so they don't get used to dealing with foolishness. It is much harder to stop foolishness then it is to prevent it before it comes. People don't Iverstand how smart children are at a very young age, so the parents let things go time and time again until the child reaches a certain age and then they bring in discipline, but by that time the child fights against it because they were used to doing whatever foolishness they wanted before.

Here is a reasoning I made before that will explain I view in more detail:

---------------------------------------------
Many people don't Iverstand how intelligent small children are. So they raise them at a lower standard than the children are capable of. This slows the development of children because they are not challenged enough to rise up quicker.

Some parents allow their children to deal with a lot of foolishness when they are young, and when they become a little older, they suddenly impose so many restrictions on them. So when these children are faced with all these restrictions, they rebel, because they are used to getting away with so much.

From a very young age, children can Iverstand a lot of what they are told. People just need to learn to explain things in words the child Iverstands. Just telling a child NO, is not good enough, their intelligence won't allow for that. Imagine if someone came up to you and told you don't do that, or don't do this. You would tell them to go away and stop bothering you. But if they explained to you the reason why, you are more likely to heed. So in the same way, children don't respond very well to orders, because they have a mind to think, and if they don't see why what they are doing is wrong, then they will desire to continue doing it.

When the reason is explained to children, then the children gain by Iverstanding why they should or shouldn't do something, and they gain by learning something more than what they knew before. Also, they are more likely to listen to their parents in emergency situations, where their is no time for explanations, because they will know that their parents advice is good, and should be followed.

What often happens when people just order around and yell at the child, is that they learn to shut their ears from their mind. It is a natural defence mechanism that prevents too much strife from entering the child's mind. This then leads to more yelling, and more shutting of ears.

People just need to try to explain, and if the words they use don't work, then they can explain in another way. When the child learns from explanation and reason, they also build up their minds to gain greater Iverstanding. So they will be better at making the right decisions themself, and it will be easier for them to Iverstand future explanations.

When I was a teenager, I would sometimes babysit the children of a friend of my family. When either of the children did something wrong, I would explain to them the situation, and I could tell that they could Iverstand when I was speaking, and their future actions proved that they Iverstood. This doesn't mean that they always listened, but they usually did.

Their mother would always yell at them when they did wrong. And one day when the mother was yelling, their daughter, who must have been between 4 and 6 at the time, yelled back at her mother and asked her why she doesn't deal with her like I do. She told her mother that I explain to her what is wrong, and so she listens to I.

People need to stop seeing limits in their children's mind, and realize how smart they are. The child will be blessed with greater guidance, and the parents will be blessed with a child of greater Iverstanding, as taught to them by their parents.

Intelligent Children
---------------------------------------------

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/2/2007 6:22:53 PM

Ises
Yes I, an important part of discipline is communication; its important to let the child know what they have done wrong and they understand if they do it again there are consequences. Tantrums are symptomatic of a communication breakdown, something went wrong somewhere when you see small children swearing at their parents or other people. Or the story I was reading today of two young children who set their house alight because Super Nanny (Brit reality show) had come to help the mother sort out her problem kids. So in retaliation they lit the curtains on fire and blazed the whole house. I don't know where they get the courage to act out such foolishness, but for I, there are some things you'd never dream of doing. But that brings me to the other side of discipline too, its not only abt correcting the wrongs but giving the child values too. Not in a dictatorial manner or to invoke fear in them so they are never able to tell you if something is going on with them. And the more discpline is enforced in a hierarchical fashion, the more children will rebel and it comes out in their adolescent and young adult years. Its important to remember the struggles one went through with their parents - like the first years of dreading were days of fire for I. JAH! It was heavy but JAH guided always. I'd want my youths to be able to tell I anything and for I to also be open enough and listen to them from a very young age. I've still mixed feelings on spanking as I think its a last resort, but sometimes when I read stories of kids being violent on their parents or see them fighting in the supermarket with their folks I really think a thick black belt or a long stick freshly broken from a peach tree will do them just right....memories of I childhood - Lol!

Blessed Love

ps the kids on the video of Sticky are so adorable, bless!

Messenger: Mau Mau Sent: 10/3/2007 1:21:34 AM

Yes, we have to bring the children upright as it is a responsibility from The Most High and we cannot take it lightly. I believe in 'not sparing the rod' where my child's discipline is concerned. However I do not take corporal punishment as the primary way to bring about discipline. As Ark I mentioned, children are quite intelligent from an early age...very early age I must add. Talking to your child and understanding your child is very important. U can communicate verbally and non-verbally and a child understands. Occasionally you may need spank a child but always remember NEVER to do it in anger and frustration and if the situation arises 'catch' yourself and stop. The 'rod' is a tool to correct a child and not to release anger and frustration on a helpless child. Always remember children are a gift from Jah and a responsibility for which The Most High holds one accountable.

Bless

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 10/3/2007 6:51:29 AM

What is the "rod"? To I, it doesn't speak only of a physical rod. Rod of correction and righteousness, rod of leadership, etc... and all the things that symbolically carrying a rod encompasses.

Guidance all!!

Love love

Messenger: Ten Sent: 10/4/2007 11:13:07 AM

Blessings
At what age do ones feel a child must no longer be physically disciplined in such situations when it is neccessary? What if tey continue to do foolish things even when they are adults and have their own children. But they do stupid things like blowing money on beer rather than taking care of their youth. Is physical discpline still permissible after all other methods of reasoning have failed with a +20 year old? And can brothers and sisters discpline each other - I mean in reference to physical discipline.
Give Thanks, JAH BLESS

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 10/4/2007 2:56:34 PM

Blessed Love Ras KebreAB, the lack of discipline is the reason why so many yute are out of control today. Discipline can be verbal or physical or both. Some only use verbal, especially in Rastafari. I have listened to some rastfari idrens say that hitting a child is a form of slavery. But, to I some yute need a whooping. When they get older they don't really need it cause u can just take away things, unless they just out of control.
The yute are very smart from a young age. This is off subject, but I remember one time I was in the car driving and I was vex. I was silent tho. and didn't say a word. I didn't show that I was angry and I son was very very little. Out of nowhere he said, "mommy why are u mad?" His words struck I and I was shocked that he felt I spirit cause I didn't even show emotion. So they see more then I n I can imagine. They follow wat I n I do as well, so if I n I say don't do that, but I n I do it, then u think they gonna take u seriously?
I n I can take this to many levels.
I son is 11 and I don't have to hit him, I just take things away from him.
I was in the health food store one day and I daughter, she was prob. bout 6 or 7. She was just troubling I when I got in the store. By the time I got to the other side of the store, I talked to her to many times. She touched the coffee grinder machine and I told her to leave it. I turned I back and she knocked the coffee grinds on the floor and the knob to the machine. I yelled at her and smacked her. Well this lady came up and told I how I making everyone feel ucomfortable and how I didn't need to hurt her. I was vex and told her that she need to mind her business and some other kind words. She learned her lesson cause she didn't touch that again. Sometimes when u talk it don't work and when a yute is acting up no soft words will work. I was never hit as a child and I talked to I mom bad even though I was a good kid. If she got I mad I would go off on her. I told her she should have whoopped my azz cause I yute will never talk to i that way. Plus, I am kinda soft on I yute compared to others cause I was never hit.
But, I yute are good yute cause they follow I example. Of course like any yute, they act up sometimes.

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 10/4/2007 6:04:35 PM

Yes, Empress Prophecy. For real, it is the most important to lead by example first and foremost and smacking has to be a tactic, a resort and has to be done with wider strategy in mind. Some of the youths around InI get smacked as a parental show of discipline, but moretime I can see ones getting numb to the smacking til it looks like joke to them. This generation of children are wise to many things and if it isn't channeled, they can flip the logics back on us. My bredrin nephew has started to find it funny to get smacked and I see why. To him it's drama, and if he's playing up for attention seeking it's better than nothing. It's like he knows they won't really hurt him, but it's some passa passa, some noise, some gwarnin... and then he can go back to watching tv.

Boy... I don't know what they gonna do with him from now on though. I give thanks for my princess youth. She is very chilled and knows herself very well. Before I had my daughter, I used to hear theories about rewarding good behaviour with attention and praise, and ignoring and shunning bad behaviour. As well as things like having respect for I children as individuals, overstanding their ancient irits in new bodies, trying to get to know each other in the sense of two people meeting. I think those meditations let me deal with my daughter respectfully and properly, greeting her when I see her, asking her to do things (instead of ordering), with pleas and gratitude... that kinda thing. Naturally she has beautiful conduct and is very polite and that kind of thing.

On the other hand though, I think we Mothers have to have distinct levels and elevations leading up to angry. Rather than just angry/happy, there has to be stages almost like a buildup so that the youths have some sense of what leads to what... and then try to enforce that. I don't know if I've simply been lucky with my child, but I'll try the same with my next one and see if I get similar results before I'll know if its a technique or not.

Royal Love!

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 10/4/2007 7:54:07 PM

Blessed Rastafari Love to one and all. Haile I Selassie the First

Yes i, give thanks to all for sharing your thoughts on this.

"What is the "rod"? To I, it doesn't speak only of a physical rod. Rod of correction and righteousness, rod of leadership, etc... and all the things that symbolically carrying a rod encompasses."
Yes i, very true what the i say, that "rod" can be interpreted in different ways and applied in different circumstances. But it is mostly the act of physical punishment that i wanted to deal with so i will speak on that.
It is true what the i dem say about the importance of communication, and not underestimating the intelligence of children, so when you read what i write, realize that i am not trying to take away anything from that
Sistren Yaa said " smacking has to be a tactic, a resort and has to be done with wider strategy in mind."
and i am glad for that because a lot of people would say that it is a LAST resort and i feel that is a wrong way to see it.To say a last resort means the child has already gone to the level where he/she is almost out of control of the parents. A child has to know his/her boundaries and limits ,a child must know what things will get him/her, i dont know, a grounding or a good talking to, and what kind of things will get him/her a good beating

I will start by saying, i give thanks for every beating i got at the hands of i parents as a child...lol....i dont know what it is, i cant quite put my finger on it, but there is a certain quality that a person attains when raised that way...i donīt know..a certain kind of moral fiber, a certain discipline, a certain kind of respect for your elders....not fear but respect. I am not talking about just beating your kids for any little thing, there is a line between punishment and abuse..but i think every African (i speak of my experiences but i know this is not limited to Africa) who has been raised in such manner knows exactly what i mean. It is almost like, it teaches you to accept punishment for things you do wrong, at home,or in the bigger world picture. It gives a child a certain kind of strength, it allows a child to experience a little pain at the hands of people who love that child and wont really hurt the child, before the child goes out into a world that is not so nicey nicey.
i see all these kids who never got the good beating they desreve as children, then they go to school, and when confronted by physical pain by bullies and such, they donīt know how to deal with things, yes, you all have seen children take guns to school and shoot everyone in sight.

One other strange thing about it is, that when i see how a lot of western people treat their parents and elderly, how they lack a certain closeness, how they put them in old people homes and forget about them,, when i see that, i cant help but feel that the lack of even very mild physical punishment of children in the western society has something to do with it.
It is very strange but it is like, somehow, that kind of physical contact between a parent and a child, even if painful for those minutes, it still draws them together.

Now when i speak of punishment and abuse, ones have to overs that abuse can be seen in two different senses. One is the obvious, abuse is abuse, i donīt need to go into that, but abuse can also be just in the mind of the child.
lol, i know, right now i must sound like those lawyers who argue that a child who charges someone with abuse must be making things up or something.
But no, not what i mean at all. Let me try and explain.
I grew up in a place where it is the most common thing for a child to get a whooping when he/she does wrong. lol, i remember sometimes we kids would get into some mischief and all get caught, and we would all go to our homes to face our parents. But the next morning, we would all meet in the neighborhood or at school, and everyone would show their "war wounds" lol,some would even brag about their wounds and bruises, and it was all fun and laughter,we all knew what we did wrong, we all knew we had it coming, thats it, get on with your life...till the next time you get caught doing wrong lol
But here in the western world i understand it is a different thing altogether, and thats how punishment becomes abuse in the mind of the child. What does a child do when he/she goes to school and he/she knows he/she is the only one with the bruises, what can a child think and feel but that he/she is being singled out for more severe punishment than others.
On top of that, like Sistren Prophecy says, parents will have other people coming up to comment on their parenting when the parent is forced to apply physical punishment so, i suppose i cannot tell anyone to raise their children in that way, not here, not in this society

Sistren Ten the i said " Is physical discipline still permissible after all other methods of reasoning have failed with a +20 year old?"
To that i would say, it is too late by then.
And to "And can brothers and sisters discipline each other - I mean in reference to physical discipline." this i would say, no, i would say that brothers and sisters, well brothers mostly, will more likely have a fight, whether they will fight and go their separate ways or hug each other and call each other brother again would depend on what kind of brothers they were in the first place. Anyway, that would take you back to your first question since if brothers or sister have reached the age when they can physically punish another, then it is too late for the punishment to bring any change other than more animosity and hatred

As alwyas, i hope i havent rambled on lol
Give thanks for listening
Blessed Love
Rastafari is

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 55

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I