Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2073&start_row=1

the danger in placing self-esteem in any thing other than actions

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/13/2007 2:53:32 PM

"if who you are is what you have and what you have is lost, then who are you?"

can' remember the source, but i think it is an interesting thought

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 8/14/2007 8:17:31 PM

The scripture and his majesty teaches life dose not consist of the abundance of things one posses. We do better to quote His Majesty.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 8/14/2007 8:42:34 PM

Praises
What about Africans scattered across the Diaspora whose link to the motherland was lost through forced means? They've not lost who they are but they've been cut off from their own language, ancestry and traditional practices and this has meant they've had to hold onto what they can remember while at the same time make new traditions in order to retain who they are.

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/14/2007 9:06:58 PM

i love selassie i, but one can find inspiration in many places from many people.

respect

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/14/2007 9:37:51 PM

respect ten,

this thought is meant for one not to place to much value on things that can be taken away in the material sense, but i guess it would also refer to a home or history being taken away.

now i obviously can not speak for all or even one african or any person that has been denied their history other than myself ( i do not know my ancestory history). so i will not.

i can tell you the context in which this is used in my class. it is to get kids to think about placing their values/principles front and center in their search for self --- instead of things which can be taken away against their wishes. it seems as if country and history would be included in those things --- now that does not mean those things are not important (friends, family and honor roll even fall in the second category) it just means with principles as ones center in making decisions one is more likely to move in a positive direction and develop positive self-esteem. i tell the kids if you would like to feel real bad about yourself as a person just identify principles that are important to you and then do the opposite of them.

i by no means wish to make light of a person being robbed of their culture. the thought to share this post was influenced by the discussion on how that one nice outfit would make a person feel good about themselves --- but what is one to do if they cannot get that one nice outfit?

when i was 12 my folks split. me and my brother lived with our mom and did some time on food stamps and powder milk. i didn't have the best of everything (excuse me anything lol) one xmass i got like four boxes of twinkies (oh they were good), but my mom gave me a strong sense of self. it is just an inner thing that is still with me today (thanks mom) and outer things don't get to i too much. now i know people have gone through much worse than i -- but i think the teaching should still be the same.

focus on the things you can control in life and that would be your principles/values. they don't go away unless you wish to change them.

actually one of the first things i thought of when i read your post (though i'm not sure if it exactly applies)was the qoute on the back of one of my marley shirts....."my home is in my head"

hope no offense taken ( i see how you said i vexed you early in the summer with the god and noah issue and i hope that any other disagreement we have does not do the same)

peace and respect

Messenger: Selahssie i son Sent: 8/14/2007 10:27:57 PM

If I honour myself my honour is nothing,It is jah we honour and not ourself.WOE be unto the selfseekers who seek only for themself.

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/16/2007 7:24:16 AM

selahssie,

i work with kids who are, christian, hindu, mulsim, buddhist, athiest, jewish, and i'm sure a whole lot more --- i need to speak in a language that they will all understand.

respect

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I