Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1982&start_row=1

Reasonking on HIM - Tenses

1 - 2
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ten Sent: 6/25/2007 5:02:40 PM

JAH Blessing be Upon All
That was a typo in the title of the post - its meant to be Reasoning on HIM - Tenses, but the typo is irie anyway. I was wondering why I n I use the past tense when we speak of His Majesty, if He is the Iverliving, Iver Dreadfull JAH who is not gone from this earth why use the past tense? Even though things He said were at a time in the past, they are still with us today, still as relevant as though He were speaking them now...I ask because when I write essays on books I have to use the present tense as though the book were in process so is it not the same reasoning with the utterances of His Majesty?

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 6/26/2007 5:56:57 AM

Ises Beloved.

For me the reason is simple.

If you talk about things that happened in the past, you use the past tense. This is how I learned the english language.
Even if I talk about a person who is here still, when you talk about things he has done in tha past, you use past tense.
You can't say HIM is holding his Leage of Nations Speech NOW, or tomorrow. No you have to speak in the past if you want to say it correctly. But of course HIM mind never changes. Today he would say the same things like in the past.
That is why we say HIM says that, the Bible says that, Christ says that. But just if you want to say it historically correct, you say HIM said that in this and that speech on this and that date.
I wouldn't say that speaking of HIM in past tense is disrespectful and means you say he's dead and gone.

Selah

1 - 2

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I