Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1820&start_row=1

Aksum

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Young Lion Sent: 4/11/2007 5:02:04 AM

Aksum in north Ethiopia. Holy city from ancient Aksumite Kingdom, any of the I been there. They say the Ark of Covenant that Negus Solomon built is there. has to be special because i was reading Ras Tafari had to go there to complete his becoming of king process. i must go there

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 4/11/2007 11:46:46 AM

Ises

If JAH will I will get there for Addis Amet. But I think I n I won't get that far north.

Selah

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 4/11/2007 6:58:27 PM

Yes Young Lion,

I was privileged enough to go there about four years ago, that was blessing for real. I had hoped to see Aksum for the Saint Mary of Zion festival, reaching the rather unassuming city in time I was able to enjoy the celebration in its fullness. Truly there is a small building between the two Beta Mariam (Churches of Saint Mary)that houses the Ark. The building has a fence around it and there is only one man who spends all his life living in the building guarding the Ark. The older Beta Mariam built by Emperor Fasiladas still has His Majesty's throne standing in front of it. The throne as it was shown to me by a priest there, is a solid piece of stone, circular in shape, with a mushroom shaped seat rising from the middle. I doubt that throne will ever be moved, the stone must weigh tons. While a passer by might not have any idea that the stone is actually the site of our Negus Crowning it remains, withstanding the elements, as His Majesty remains in I heart.
If the I wishes to see Aksum the it will surely happen. Ethiopia is only a plane ride away, and from Addis it's only 3 days to Aksum, depending on the bus not breaking down too much. Or you can even fly from Addis. I'll say that my experience there was unforgettable, I'm sure the I will love it.

SELAM

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 4/12/2007 8:45:16 AM

Ises

So the I did ride by ordinary Bus from Addis? How did the I experience the ride? Coz Iman cannot imagine how and when there could be stops, but I neither can imagine that the bus is going non-stop these 3 days. And how did the I experience accomodation... is there nuff cheap hotels available, also during festival seasons?

As Iman said, I man won't get farther north then Gonder and Lalibela. As I stay wid I beloved ones in Addis.

Ises Hallalujah
Selah

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 4/12/2007 6:00:02 PM

Yes Bro Dominiq, It was by oridinary bus that I travelled. I left early in the morning one day from Addis headed towards Bahir Dar; the bus drove into the evening stopping in a real small town that I would say was half way between Debre Markos and Bahir Dar, slept in a pretty run down joint, but right for the price. I reached Bahir Dar late the next morning, all kinds of hotels there. Went from Bahir Dar to Gondar in a day, and reached Gondar late afternoon, all kinds of hotels in Gondar too. From Gondar you can supposedly reach Axum in a day, but my bus was not that fortunate, it broke down in a major way in a small town called Adi Arkay, where I was stranded for two days until I could get on another bus headed for Axum. Maybe I should have said it takes four days from Addis, I will say this; the bus ride was rough, but a lot of fun too and the scenery blew my mind, those bus rides were such a great experience. As I think of it though, from Addis you could also go up to Dessie in a day by bus, from Dessie to Mekele in a day, and from Mekele to Axum, and that would be a pretty certain three days. There are a lot more paved roads on the latter route and it doesn't take such a toll on the bus. Either way the country is intensely beautiful. I did hear that there was a road that went from Gondar to Lalibella in the dry season, so maybe you could make the loop from Addis to Gondar over to Lalibella and back to Addis. I'm sure you'll have no problems with accomodation, I've never been anywhere in Ethiopia and had trouble finding somewhere to sleep, but I would arrive in a town a few days early for any festival, as the Ethiopian pilgrims turn out in big numbers. What a joy!!! Can't wait to go back.
SELAM

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 4/13/2007 12:45:40 AM

My brother & I plan on getting their, Jah will provide, I hope the trip wont be held up by international problems. But first I want to stop in Amsterdam to sample some erb's, once I get to Ethiopia I plan to stay and help support the Shashamane programs as much as my funds may provide.well thats all

Ras ElIjah

Messenger: Young Lion Sent: 4/13/2007 3:37:02 AM

sunofman, thank you for the information. jah willing i will be there before the MILLENIUM. i have never set foot in Ethiopia, or anywhere outside amerika so i know it will be incredible experience, words cant explain

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 4/13/2007 5:38:05 AM

If the I can afford it, your best bet would be to rent a car in Addis

Messenger: I'n'I mloyi Sent: 4/13/2007 6:38:04 AM

Aksum is among great places for we afrikans. It is very nice and pleasant to hear stories of the landfrom I's who we do trust.
I am sad that I haven't reach dat land which is only two "babylonian borders" from where I am. But my heart and soul is with thaat land.
Imagine to cross a country like ethiopia you have o travel fo three days, shows how terrible is that place to travel. poor infrastructure, and old cars/buses a big shame for these diamond and gold producers of the world. Check how quick it was for ethiopia to go fight inna somalia and how hard it is for ethiopia to repair it's roads!
sit dung and watch him a watching you!

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 4/13/2007 10:19:36 AM

sad but true

still its no accident that they keep Africa that way....Roads mean ini linking up more,,means communication..means trade between ini Africans instead of depending on outside trade
In this times, roads are nothing less than the veins of a continent...and they just wont let Africas blood flow freely

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I