Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1812&start_row=31

Muhammed

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 49
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 4/12/2007 7:28:43 AM

Yes Empress,

It's a joy to see KMT brought to light in the context of the Abrahamic faiths, the connection is undeniable, yet many modern day Christians would like to portray KMT (that's ancient Egypt) in a negative light, when in fact this was one of the most enlightened civilizations to ever inhabit this earth. Give Thankhs for that....
SELAM

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 4/12/2007 9:18:17 AM

Watch where you are walking

Rastafar Is

Messenger: Young Lion Sent: 4/12/2007 2:16:16 PM

Empress Nzinga, u say many believe Jesus is re-incarnation of John the Baptist?

''the next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, behold, the lamb of GOD who takes away the sin of the world. this is he of whom i said, after me comes a man who is preferred before me, for he was before me. And john bore witness saying, i saw the spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and he remained upon him. i did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, Upon whom you see the spirit descending, and remaining on him, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit. and i have seen and testified that this is the Son of God''

you said... ''The point is that Jesus the Christ was a "pagan".
H.I.M. Haile Selassie I was a Christian who made it quite clear that religion was a construct for the purpose of finding spirit, or Spirituality. Spirituality is almost always concidered to be pagan''

everyone has the right to say what they what to say, but really check it and reflect if Jesus Christ was a pagan,a
HEATHEN 1; especially : a follower of a polytheistic religion (as in ancient Rome)
2 : one who has little or no religion and who delights in sensual pleasures and material goods : an irreligious or hedonistic person

Haile Selassie was more than just a christian, he had a strong jewish faith where he would often go to israel. the point selassie was trying to make was not to stay away from spirtuality, but stay away from standing blindly behind rituals and customs of religion and search thyself linking to the most high of creation

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 4/12/2007 2:29:50 PM

Young Lion,

What I said was:
"Not to mention the fact that even the Bible itself states that John the Baptist was already practicing this same sort of mysticism, to a degree that caused many people to believe that Jesus was a reincarnation (of some sort) of John the Baptist."
ie: at the time of the Bible, meaning before the Bible was written.

As for your the meaning of pagan, I posted this under the topic Pagan Festivities:
"The word pagan was invented by the Catholic Church to cast a shadow of evil and sin over the traditional faith of the indigenous peoples of the world. Just as Hollywood has distorted Vodun (Vodoo)."

Concerning HIM let me repost my statment:
" H.I.M. Haile Selassie I was a Christian who made it quite clear that religion was a construct for the purpose of finding spirit, or Spirituality. Spirituality is almost always concidered to be pagan."
and your statement:
" Haile Selassie was more than just a christian, he had a strong jewish faith where he would often go to israel. the point selassie was trying to make was not to stay away from spirtuality, but stay away from standing blindly behind rituals and customs of religion and search thyself linking to the most high of creation"
side by side so that you can have a better look.

Messenger: Shyna Larke Sent: 4/12/2007 5:45:58 PM

I am very new to this site, but I agree with your statement that all righteous roads lead to... also to give honor to the message and not the messenger.

I am still searching for my place, don't know if I will ever find a place for me, seeing that I feel comfortable in the mosque, christian church, and churches like UU and a Metaphysical church.

I've had some health issues that have kept me very isolated. I am inside of my apartment alone 85% of the time. This is hard. Even though I am comfortable in different places of worship, I don't see myself learning on a regular basis from any place around here. I found a Christian church about 6 years ago, that I have led my whole family into (we grew up in a church where the man was too much of a disciplinarian, and I left while I was in high school, now my mother is much happier). I've been thinking of attending more regularly because I need guidance. There is this part of me that finds itself tensing up everytime I hear someone put down another religion. Even if I know that church is a good atmosphere in general, this makes me feel so left out.

Without a 'title' I still strive to live a righteous life, making me fit in with not many. The church doesn't think I'm holy enough, and the social alternatives are no longer holy enough for me to continue frequenting them.

I know the universe doese bring you what you need when you need it. When I look for guidance these are the type of answers I get. I have had a relationship with god and certain insights since I was a young child, I am not looking to be told what you tell most others. I like what I'm hearing in these forums, I desire to know where to start when you don't have a lot of money to buy more books. Where can I go to understand the Rasta. Even there, I know that overstanding is a phrase commonly used, InI (seems self explanatory, but where can I be taught about this, other than someone's one or two word sentences about it) I always thought that Rasta was more known with Jamaicans, now I read so much about Ethiopia.

Is there a book other than the bible, because obviously from my upbringing this is not teaching ME all that I am looking for. Are there better sources, and are there places where 2 or 3 can gather. I just want to learn with some direction, so please help direct me with something 'tangeable'.

I haven't read this whole thread yet. I see the subject come up of what men were god. I think we all have that ability to be god. Some have gotten to know their divine selves. Christians say that Jesus was the ONLY begotten son of God. But the old testament refers to David as a begotten son. It also says I believe in Ps. 82, that ye are gods. Jesus says "Call no one good but my Father". When I mention these things people have their own explanations for what they mean or don't mean. That is not my concern, because I do not try to give the words meaning to match my belief. I just like to acknowledge them.

Peace

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 4/13/2007 12:53:01 AM

If you overstand your Bible become close also to the Kebra Nagast, realise the connection, realise your connection with HIM. Now if your really looking for literature to get to know more biblicly obtain the Apocryphal get intouch with those scriptures and obtain a referance information is what I would suggest from a scholar to help you better overstand things. Everything else would be books about Ethiopian History, Tafari Makonnen History and Rastafari History, amazon.com is your friend.

Glad to be of service.

Ras ElIjah

Messenger: Shyna Larke Sent: 4/13/2007 11:11:07 AM

Thank you.

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 4/13/2007 6:56:46 PM

Shyna Larke you might also try the book Coming Forth by Day(Egyptian Book of the Dead)as well as Lefafa Sedek "Bandlet of Righteousness"(Ethiopian book of the Dead). Apocrypha text and Gnostic text are wonderful too, I like the Book of Enoch, Jubilees, and Gospel of Thomas very much. If you are interested in delving beyond the realms of the Bible and Koran, try the Baghavad Gita. There's so much out there you'll never find an end. As far as Rastafari goes, Ras Elijah is right, the Kebra Negast is the place to start, same way, the autobiography of His Majesty is a must, and again, there's so much more. Seek and ye shall find, Right....

Selam

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 4/13/2007 10:38:03 PM

Rastafari advicing eachother to read books of the dead.
how far we have come

A one-sentence description of Gnosticism: a religion that differentiates the evil god of this world (who is identified with the god of the Old Testament) from a higher more abstract God revealed by Jesus Christ, a religion that regards this world as the creation of a series of evil archons/powers who wish to keep the human soul trapped in an evil physical body, a religion that preaches a hidden wisdom or knowledge only to a select group as necessary for salvation or escape from this world.

Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.

Jah Rastafari Liveth

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 4/13/2007 11:42:43 PM

Ras Kebre AB

Since the I is so interested, Books of the Dead are merely labeled as such by western culture who has found these texts attributed to the afterlife, and came up with such a shallow word as dead. Has the I read either Coming Forth By Day, or the Lefafa Sedek (Bandlet of Righteousness)? They're both crucial and enlightening, in regards to I and I, as well as the origins of Christianity and Judaism. I don't see how the I can deny this? But if it is not worth mentioning, please elaborate on why?

As for Gnosticism, I don't think Thomas considered himself a Gnostic(a Greek word)and His Gospel is wonderful. If there is Iyasus' teachings contained within Gnostic text, why would we accept other teachings of Iyasus in other books, but not the teachings contained in Gnostic texts. Also, where did the I get the information the I stated about Gnosticism? some things are written solely to demonize things, things that are not fully overstanded or that go against a certain writer's agenda. I try to be open minded about these things. As with all things I try to read between the lines, so to speak, and discern what truth I can. If Iyasus spoke openly then why are some of His teachings so readily dismissed?

Furthermore, the physical body can lead to either the higher or lower self, yet ultimately this body is and always will be in the world while I and I are not of it, we must transcend this body. Please elaborate on you resistance to these concepts...
My Lord
Selam

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 49

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I