Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1764&start_row=1

The Secret - Movie

1 - 10
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 2/22/2007 5:14:51 AM

Ises Iyah

A few days ago my Brother came home from Bangkok, Thailand emmidiatly telling me he has a movie for me I MUST watch, but he won't tell me what it is about.

It turned out to be a documentary called The Secret and it emmidiatly looked like sect to me. It is an american produced thing using much emotional input like Jehovah Witness Watchtowers.
So I was little impressed as I exactly knew those stuff.
And so I do not find the FILM ITSELF very exciting... it is more a hollywood comercializing.... and so I will not give details on the homepage or the dvd... maybe some of the I already know it anyway.

But still I find the content quite interesting.... because it is something of which I n I Rasta people and spiritual people around the world know from ever since.

They say that The Secret is: The Law of Attraction.
This means, that... as Macka B chanted: anything your mind conceive, you can achieve - the Power of the Mind!

And so I found this movie quite interesting...because in a way they sold this like THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE WORLD... they had film sequences making it seem like some secret elitist order going through history... but after all it is only the same old new age trick: you take something already existing, indigenous knowledge... show it in shiny movie scenes hollywood style.... and sell it for much money.
So let's leave this movie.

The interesting thing I found, they quite well summed up also teachings of the bible (though they didn't know this). I mean what did Christ teach us about the Power of the Mind.... he always told the people that it wasn't he who healed them, but it was there OWN FAITH.
What was Peter making him go ON the waters? HIS OWN FAITH!
Christ said, if you had Faith, you could tell this mountain to move over there.

So I do not think I have to repeat all this over again, coz the I them surely know all this.

But funny as it is, this movie made me think about WHAT KIND OF FAITH was Christ talking about? Was he talking about this narrow church folks faith? Catholic Style? I assume not.

The guys in that movie also talked about Faith.... but like I n I, they also called this faith KNOWLEDGE. That if you believe.... or better know... that the Universe Power (which they also called God) is able to do for you.... you will get it or make it happen.
It was also funny that though this was of course mainly about getting rich, getting that car... you know stuff like that.... they still stated, that you can only REALLY BELIEVE that you will get something, if your really believe that you DESERVE it... meaning that it is something positive, something JAH likes to happen.

Of course this kind of thinking maybe needs a different way of viewing JAH. Not so personal personifying... but more like a Budhist would do... a philosopher would do.

I just wanted to share this vew thoughts and hope they came across in the right way.

Haile I
Selah

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 2/22/2007 9:47:06 AM

I find it funny that you could be so quick to dismiss a movie that illustrates your belief. We own the movie, I'm V.P. of a wholistic healing center, and although I wasn't moved to tears or anything I found it to be a great learning tool for those who find it difficult to put into practice the concepts that we teach and believe. At no point does the movie claim to be the inventor of these concepts, in fact they attribute the "secret" to anchient peoples of the world. The point is that these pricipals are lost in today's societies, and that even those who are familiar with the concept rarely put it into practice. Furthermore, I don't see you making a movie or enlightening the masses. In this day and age you should rejoice that the principals of natural law are being brought into the mainstream. The movie focuses on wealth because that is what society strives for, personally I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be finacially secure as long as you don't step on the backs of others to achieve it. Are you willing to say that HIM was poor? Are you willing to say that one cannot be rightious and wealthy? Are you willing to say that in order to serve God one must live in poverty?
It is a blessing that science is finally catching up with conventional wisdom. I prefer "What the Bleep do We Know" and the sequel "Down the Rabbit Hole" to "The Secret" but I understand that not everyone understands quantum mechanics and that makes a simpler movie neccessary. Also I found "The Celestine Prophesy" to be helpful. It bothers me that because somebody somewhere decided to use the name "New Age" to describe a movement back towards spirituality (as opposed to religion) that certain people feel as though they can dismiss or belittle these people. Many of these so called New Agers are baby boomers, people who were born and raised in the 40s and 50s by strict parents who had one way of being. These are the people who rebelled in the 60s (early 70s and late 50s) so that the Civil Rights Movement and the Free Love Movement could change the world's mind about conventional wisdom. They fought (and died) for the rights of the opressed so that you could sit on a computer and claim to have some right to conventional wisdom.
I suggest you learn to rejoice when Babylon shows signs of enlightenment rather than claim superiority for having been given this information already. You do not have the monopoly on enlightenment, in fact, you should be actively enlightening those around you who are deaf, dumb and blind. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless.
The Secret
What the Bleep
Celestine Prophecy

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 2/22/2007 10:09:44 AM

wow

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 2/22/2007 10:50:34 AM

Bless

Yes as I thought, some may already know the movie.

There are people who have so much time to talk bad about others, and still find no time to say anything productive about the conversation.

Wait a minute... so I can get you some stones to throw on me. Isn't that a good deal.... oh wholistic priestess?

I talk reality and have no time for your little personal quarreling bullshit. You have so many words to say things about me which you CAN never know... but have no words to talk about the topic which is the law of attraction?
So you say you know the law of attraction. It is funny... because then you should know, that you are actually attracting all this negativity right now. A film is a cool shiny thing... but you can own as many of them as you wish... that doesn't mean that you have learned a single thing from them.

It is interesting that it is always the "most enlightened" ones, those with the raised teaching finger, who are those who are the fastest to get on a personal level rather than objectively contributing to something.

So you think you will be able to contribute to the topic? Or do you feel you will get more satisfaction in personally quarreling with me? Because I fear I have no time for this or for you.

And funny is you asked if I made a movie to enlighten people. Is interesting that nowadays you NEED a movie like hollywood to enlighten people, isn't it?
My Word Sound until now has reached thousands of people... and I will progress step by step. Just for your information.

Just to remember you.... if it will be possible for you to get down of ya high horse, maybe you could contribute something to the topic. Do you feel you will?

The Babe and the Suckling is laughing.
Selah

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 2/22/2007 11:11:32 PM

I overs what the sis is saying. And "What the bleep do we know" really is a great film, and it is helpful for ones like myself who are not fluent in quantum physics speak and jargin. And its opening scene was filmed two blocks from my house! Pretty dope!

Hotep Fam

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/22/2007 11:39:04 PM

Yehyah and Nzingha,

Both of the I them contribute great things to this forum and I ask the I them to take or leave the criticism given by the other and forward.

It would be a shame if this rose into something worse. As I said the I them contribute great things and if this gets worse, one of you might leave because of it and it would be a loss to the forum. And even if neither of the I them leave, it would just mean less time spent on more constructive things.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 2/23/2007 4:57:17 AM

Ises

Yes Ark I, this is why I say I have no time for wasting on this. But then again it's human to feel the need to justify onesefl and so on... and I know Iman shouldn't do that as it only worsens the situation. I should have only taken the contributions to the topic and go on reasoning. So let's do.

I did admit, that I liked the content of the movie. Still sometimes it was just too much of "played" emotions for me... for my personal taste... and so it a bit reminded me on the shiny glossy Watchtower pictures on which all are happy, and all together, and there is nothing bad on this earth...

Furthermore, the Sistren did misunderstand I critic.
I was not speaking against earning money with that movie. If that was the case, I would have spoken against takeing this 10 Dollars something for viewing the movie on their website.
The point I was making was, that TO ME it seems, as if them thought, they need to turn this docu into an expensive hollywood movie, coz otherwise nobody would be interested. I personal just feel that this kind of attention-catching is just cheap and wouldn't be necessary if those people would trust that THEIR KNOWLEDGE alone is revelation enuff for people to listen.

Furthermore it sounded to me as if all these people only used this Secret of the Law of Attraction for gaining material things (most of them).

Maybe I was also biased because I got this movie from my Brother. He is a businessman travelling the world, and though I know he makes his money from good works (he is into healthy nutrition promotion), he always easily gets caught by such "manager - philosophy" .... you know this new age (and I use this term in it's negative, ungrateful sense) for rich people.
And then you have all these rich people in that movie "praying" for more and more wealth.

Nevertheless I found the basic Idea of this Attraction theory quite interesting, but still it is nothing new. And I never stated, that the movie makes it seem as if it was something new... but they make it seem as if it was a SECRET (sorry sister, but even the movie is called like this) .... and YES the movie DOES make it seem, as if this movie only now is the big sensation of revealing the secret, of which only a few know, to the world.
But I see, open up your bible, Yeshuah was teaching this all the time, and no one needs a shiny holywood movie to get the revelation of this.

This is just my opinion.

Selah

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 2/23/2007 5:04:10 AM

Ises

As I said in the first posting, the interesting thing about it to me is to view Yeshuah's teachings in that content.

So let's talk about the Law of Attraction. I think best it is summed up in the quote: anything your mind concieve, you can achieve.
It means that everything that happens to you is because you have attracted it (through your mind, by thinking of it, imagine it already happened).

The problem I see here, that this way it could get misused to justify all crimes on this earth. Because no matter what horrible things happen to you, don't complain, you yaself have attracted them.

That is why I would feel a reasoning would be highly interesting.

Selah

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 2/23/2007 5:08:25 AM

I appreciated the take on the issue, and for me it made me revisit some truths already known

Sometimes we learn ting and put them away and become reactionary to circumstances in stead of applying knowledge, this is why these posts are so beneficial

A word to the already wise, the old addage.......if you cannot find something productive to add, remain silent .............may be needed on this forum

Sometimes words that we don't agree with may be beneficial to someone else

the simple "law of attraction" post was beneficial to myself and I think further responses may yield positive fruit as well

luv yall

RSK

RSK

Messenger: JahWoek Sent: 2/26/2007 10:42:37 AM

Greetings Idren!

A long time InI havent been on dis site due to a broken computer but things are UP and runnin so Im back..its funny cause I was goin to put up a post on this movie that I saw while I was gone but everyone seems to have seen the flick...I thought the movie was pretty good...I think it put alot things in terms for those that seem to have problems with recieving knowledge from a mystical point of views ( ex. family or friends who may be sceptical about what ones are tryin to show dem)I since gettin a copy have burned it and given to like 10 people and they seem to responding positively to it..understanding this "secret" is one thing...but it still up to the individual to uphold rightousness..cause like it say..not evryone will want the same thing..so though this law of attraction may be a helpful tool...Ones must have a clean heart in thier endevors..so wish up some positivity..cause like the movie say your wish is my command..
Selassie I
King of all Kings
~JahWoek

1 - 10

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I