Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1749&start_row=11

Rastafari and Environment

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 40
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 2/14/2007 2:41:41 PM

Wood fire destroys the environment, and also any other source of fire destroys the environment, but without fire, we would freeze in cold weather.

It is not the use of cars, planes, fire etc. that destroy the environment. It is the excessive use of these things that are causing destruction, the excessive use that results from greed and piling nuff on top of plenty (which means when people have much more then they need and still continue to pile much more on top of that).

From the time that Selassie I brought these technologies until now, the use of these things and all the other things that harm the environment have increased so much. For example, in 1950 they recorded 1,500,000,000 metric tonnes of fossil carbon emissions a year and in 2000 it went up to almost 8,000,000,000 metric tonnes per year. And 21.2% of this comes from the US, 18.5% from china and the next highest is russia which is 6.2%, Japan with 4.6%, India with 4.1%, and all other countries produce 3% or less. So two countries are responsible for so much of the destruction.

In the time that Selassie I was taking care of Ethiopia, he brought in the things necessary for the country to survive. It was either to equip the country with these things and control the use of them, or let some other country take over Ethiopia, bring these things in and use them excessively. This was done because the only way to keep the country independant was to be able to compete with other countries. If Selassie I was still taking care of Ethiopia, you would likely see many steps taken in Ethiopia to protect the environment.

Here are just a few of the speeches of Selassie I that deal with the environment.

Agriculture

Forestry - Arbour Day

Irrigation

Here is a speech showing how Selassie I helped the people to get land and grow food.
Aiding The Farmer

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 2/14/2007 5:35:55 PM

Hail to All Jah Rastafari

Empress Nzingha, i have no wish to go into a shouting match with anyone but if i may speak as your brother sistren, your views are wrong. you will probably think me pretentious but i just had to say it cuz i myself used to look at things from the same view point that you are standing on and it is an error.
If you would look deep inside yourself, you might find that what you speak of as "my truth" , might not be yours after all.
Maybe?
Perhaps im wrong

One Ineversial Love
Rastafari Is

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 2/14/2007 11:09:46 PM

Bredren, to say somebody is wrong without any detail on how and why is empty rhetoric. I don't do shouting matches, I do however, reason. So, unless you plan to explain your opinion of the correct view to have, I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from telling me that my views are not my own. My bredren who reason with me in love never simply state that my views are wrong and offer no explination, especially in a public forum. It is a little condecending, actually, for you to say that my views are not only wrong but probably not my own and really just not much else.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 2/15/2007 2:34:48 AM

My sincere apologies sistren

it is unfortunate but hardly surprising that you find my words to be "empty rhetoric" and "condescending" ( i already expected that you will probably find me pretentious) but honestly that was not my intention.
It is not upto I to say you are wrong here and there. I know that you are not lacking of intelligence, you are probably more intelligent than i. What i find is your error is not necessarily your views but more accurately, it is the standpoint from which you are looking at things which is a little off the mark. All i was doing was giving a little heads up. When i spoke of shouting matches, i wasnt speaking of you.
You can take my suggestion and try...just try ..to look at things from a different angle...or you can ignore me completely...that is upto you. But no matter what you might think...i was speaking as your idren...i was speaking from love....Again im sorry for any offense i may have caused

Rastafari IS

Messenger: ciriefader Sent: 2/15/2007 5:07:14 AM

lets get back to the point
why isnt ethiopia using bio crops and wind/solar power
why did haile selassie not do this
since him passed away who is him son?
and why we not know of others in blood line of king david
and why this never proved?
etc etc

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 2/15/2007 9:10:11 AM

Ises

Sista, I am not interested in any arguing. Some might find the internet important enuff to waste energy on fruitless internetquarrels about who is right and who is best, however I am not amongst those. Yes I was seing the I point about nature, however still I didn't quite get what part it plays in this discussion. I also did not get the connection with the KJV. However I tried to correct your claims with the best of my (biblical) knowledge.

However, I find Ark I's statement quite helping, and this is the direction I was looking for to find this Icussion going to. This is something that has substance, much input. give thanks

Yes my Brethren Ark I, this is how Iman too feel about it. And the comparison to fire is quite logical, a good comparison!

You spoke about the times in which HIM did all those things, and that these times are gone and different ones are here now today. But still HIM was an example, and still HIM put Ethiopia/Africa on the way to become as industrialized as any other european nations in the future.... meaning now today... so HIM must have known, that those industrial process in those days, must lead to the excessive use of these things today, nah mean?

Still I would like to hear some opinion of the Is on the radical rejection of any industrialization.... for example how it is emphasized by MOVE.

And then still I would love to reason about an other topic... but somehow it is connected to this one, so I do not want to open up a new one. How do the I them feel will the world be affected by the downstruction of Babylon?
Do you feel it will be the end of all industrialization, literally back to the roots/eden? Or do you think it will not change about the industrialization but only about the mindset?
Because I cannot imagine that HIM put so much efforts in progress, knowing that endtime soon will stop all this progress anyway.

Selah

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 2/15/2007 9:13:25 AM

Ises again

There is one specific quote of HIM, I am sure the I them all know it quite well, which always helps me to understand this kinds of things.

I am speaking about the quote in which HIM said, that spiritual progress must always be as important as material progress. (not literally)

Spiritual progress here means to me progress of mind, conscience. Meaning, that if man had the needed spiritual awareness, he would only pick the useful things, but never use it excessively, as Ark said.

Selah

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 2/15/2007 12:08:32 PM

Ark I said:
"In the time that Selassie I was taking care of Ethiopia, he brought in the things necessary for the country to survive. It was either to equip the country with these things and control the use of them, or let some other country take over Ethiopia, bring these things in and use them excessively. This was done because the only way to keep the country independant was to be able to compete with other countries. If Selassie I was still taking care of Ethiopia, you would likely see many steps taken in Ethiopia to protect the environment."

I said:
"Many other peoples, fearing a complete takeover, hurried to catch up to these Europeans, without any knowledge of the true consequences. They believed the worst consequence was the loss of tradition, they had little to no idea of the effects that polution would have on the environment or on people themselves. They did, however, realize that a great wealth could be made by selling their natural resources to Europeans, who (by the way) would steal whatever would not be sold (at a fraction of it's worth) or wage war on any persons who refused "civilization". "

Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa said:
"However, I find Ark I's statement quite helping, and this is the direction I was looking for to find this Icussion going to. This is something that has substance, much input. give thanks"

.... hmmm, kinda crazy how that can happen.

Ras KebreAB, I am not upset at your comment but rather at your lack of reasoning behind it. I don't mind being disagreed with, I do however, have a problem with a general statement of wrongness. For instance, you stated "What i find is your error is not necessarily your views but more accurately, it is the standpoint from which you are looking at things which is a little off the mark." but you have not stated what you believe my "standpoint" is nor have you presented a different "standpoint" from which to come from. The reason I say that is because often my statements are taken to present a perspective that I do not hold. Often people assume that there is an "all" in front of certain words (such as 'all Europeans') that is not intended. I have no intentions of questioning your intelligence, bredren, only your assumtions. For instance, you have yet to ask me what my "standpoint" is, and in fact I have not as yet stated my personal belief on the subject. I have only given a synopsis of the history of the mistreatment of nature and it's most prominent cause.

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 2/15/2007 12:35:58 PM

Haile Selassie I said:

Since Ethiopia's economy is predominantly agricultural, agriculture must play a large role in the plans which have been drawn up, at our command, for our empire's development.

It is the duty of all to apply the skill of their minds to the factories, the trading centres and the roads and communications which are also evidence of Ethiopia's prosperity, of Ethiopia's strength.

The existence or non-existence of forest wealth in a country is one of the most important factors influencing its development and progress. The increasing pace of deforestation and the growing dearth of timber in Ethiopia, caused by unregulated tree-cutting and the failure to replace these by new plantings, give us occasion for anxiety that a severe economic problem will confront the coming generation. It is essential that steps be taken here and now to stop this wastage and check this destruction.

Without agricultural expansion, industrial growth is impossible. Great strides, it is true, have been made in introducing industries into Ethiopia in recent years. But in any less-developed agrarian country possessing only limited possibilities for selling the products of its factories in world export markets, industry can grow only if there exists an increasingly prosperous rural consumer population. Industrialisation is not an alternative to the development of agriculture; rather, the development of agriculture is the essential pre-condition to the growth of industry.

Where enterprise and initiative are not lacking, the pace at which the growth of a country's economy normally proceeds can be quickened or slackened by global developments far or near. In our effort to raise the living Standard of our beloved people, in our endeavour to bring prosperity to our country, the feeling of cooperation and understanding has always characterized our people.

A special case is the recent development in certain provinces where the people are seen voluntarily raising funds to build schools, clinics, roads and similar other projects.

What can give one more pleasure than to see such a measure of self-help in one's life time, for the prosperity and progress of his own country? Let every citizen of our empire strive hard to strengthen this espirit de corps everywhere.

We entrust the spirit of good-will to our people to work diligently and cooperatively in order to arrive at the realization of this socioeconomic development that has been launched by either our government or our people. You have a rich land that yields a variety of products, do not be contented with the satisfaction of your bare needs but instead, cultivate your land among others with oleogenous plants, the seeds of which you can export for your greater benefit. Use the forest woods to make furniture and implements and exchange them for money. Your workmanship will be a monument to your name.

One should realize that thriftiness is the basis for the accumulation of wealth and the economic growth of a nation. One seldom minimizes the value of money earned by the sweat of the brow however small it may be, but for the extravagant even a huge amount of money is worthless.

As the years wear by, man's horizon grows wider and wider and the vistas multiply. So it is with Ethiopia. As the nation moves progressively in the accomplishments of the targets set for her political, social and cultural advance, We find Ourselves confronted with yet more tasks, more avenues of effort that demand Our attention. It is within this framework that, thankfully, the wheels of progress have moved and have brought Ethiopia thus far on the path We have chartered for Our country and people since we undertook the responsibility to move Ethiopia forward. The Ethiopian people, who have co-operated fully in implementation of all Our plans,deserve Our gratitude and appreciation.

In it the people have chosen to distil from the past that which is useful and enduring, to adapt those worthwhile attributes of our present day world, and to fashion this modern ethiopianism - the foundation of our social order that has served so admirably the purpose of the nation's steady advance.

Be it recognised that while the institutions which Ethiopians have inherited from their forefathers still proudly carry their ancient designation, the contents of these valued institutions have been adapted to meet the rising expectations of the present generation of Ethiopians ;

Be it understood that while we Ethiopians are justly proud of Our national heritage, we do not look backwards to find our national purpose but forward to the full realisation of Our national goals.

This anniversary of the liberation of our country came as a result of the aggression against Ethiopia, sequel to the then prevailing international conditions. Unfortunately, the breakdown of international law and morality that led to this episode has not been fully rectified and the lesson taught by that sad experience has not given rise to efforts commensurate with the imperious need for collective security, and a unified purpose to protect and guarantee world peace.

What we seek is a new and a different way of life. We search for a way of life in which all men will be treated as responsible human beings, able to participate fully in the political affairs of their government; a way of life in which ignorance and poverty, if not abolished, are at least the exception and are actively combatted; a way of life in which the blessings and benefits of the modern world can be enjoyed by all without the total sacrifice of all that was good and beneficial in the old Ethiopia. We are from and of the people, and our desires derive from and are theirs.

Our people of Ethiopia. You know how grim life is to people robbed of their government, independence and their motherland. The time has now come when each and everyone of us should protect and serve Our beloved country, Ethiopia, with more zeal and vigour.

The Almighty God has been merciful to all of us. Therefore, we have given mercy to those of you who, willingly or unwillingly, betrayed your country and your Emperor while here or abroad, and we urge you, wherever you may be, to raise your arms against the enemy who has come, determined to destroy your race, confiscate your property and spoil your name. Now you must throw him out of Ethiopia.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 2/15/2007 3:15:07 PM

Bless sistren
My apologies again but i really do not wish to go into this with you or anyone else right now. I have pushed my hands in the fire and got burned before and i have no desire to do it again anytime soon.
But i will say this..what i was refering to had nothing to do with the environment (another reason why i didnt want to say much at present). We can reason about the environment, how to protect it, how best to utilise it all day everyday , as long as we all have a true will to do good. What troubles me is your way of seeing things in history that is shaping your religious and spiritual views of the world. We both know history is a very subjective matter and if you change your view point on a certain thing, you find other things fall into place where you didnt expect them to.
If i can suggest one thing to you before i leave, it is know the enemy ...and know him well.....not only from the words of those that the enemy victimised...but from the words of the enemy himself as well...what he speaks of in the dark places of the earth.
They say the greatest trick the devil played was to make man believe he didnt exist
i think his greatest trick was to make man believe that the truth is a lie.

sometimes i really hate the net...i can see how this makes me sound like a know-it-all....oh well

One Perfect Jah Love
Rastafari Is

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 40

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I