Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1724&start_row=1

Celibacy

1 - 1011 - 14
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: I - Fyah Sent: 1/23/2007 5:54:56 PM

In speaking of the 144,000, REV ch14 v4 reads: "These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are the ones that follow the Lamb wherever he goes. these were redeemed from among men, being firstfruits to God and the Lamb"

I have been celibate for nearly a year, but admit that I am finding it an increasingly hard battle. seems that I have to look deeper and deeper within the I-self to call upon ever dwindling reserves of strength and willpower to carry I through. Longer and longer spent in I-ditation and inward I-flection to upcharge the batteries.

my question is this. do any other ones practice celibacy, and how is the I-cept of celibacy thought of in Rastafari teaching generally?

Blessed Love.

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/23/2007 7:34:39 PM

Hotep Rastafari Family,

I don't practice celibacy, but I don't go around looking for sexual attention either. If I was in a relationship with someone I cared about and we had a spiritual bond and a healthy relationship then it would really only be natural to become sexually active with that person. Because the act of 'making love' is a beautiful thing, and as Rastafari we have to consider the body as sacred, not dirty or something to be ashamed of.

Be wise and prudent....

ASR

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 1/23/2007 8:24:21 PM

Blessed Ises

Any man who renounces the pleasures of the flesh in seeking for his spiritual heights gets my upmost raspect.
But i pray idren that you do not do it because you think you should or because someone says so
This for those who feel it and know it
In the same sense never feel any less of yourself if you happen to decide to break from your celibacy....as the brethren said , it is a beautiful thing and it is no sin
As for Rastafari, i do not know how most feel about it but i do know many of ini ancients were trodding them heights in those times

Jah Guidance
Rastafari Is

Messenger: Padok Sent: 1/23/2007 10:44:27 PM

In my opinion there is no need for celibacy.

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth." Timothy 4:1-3

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 1/24/2007 4:12:45 AM

Ises My Lord and Empress

My Lord, the first Commandment man ever received was: Multiply!
This was the first and most important thing. To be natural, to be one with each other.... King and Queen one Flesh one Bone.
I n I is the 144000 Forefront today... but will be the New Jahrushalem Inhabitants tomorrow. But WHO I ask you shall live after Babylon falling when I n I refuse multiplying?
This is in no way logical and goes against everything else of what we know from scriptures, concerning Naturality in the Beginning so shall it be Now in the End.
I go even further than Dreadnut on this... please be not shocked by that... but Natural man and woman must get catholic mindset out of the head! Jah does not think in human ways... that is a folly when JAH is the Highest. It is man who has this human feelings... and JAH knows all of them cah is he who gave it. Sexuality is wonderful as long you keep it wonderful. Keep to the woman of your youthdays, keep one woman and find the right one. You have only ONE Rib, so only ONE can fit! Only then it is perfect.
Maybe ones would say now, what's about the "uncleanliness"? Of course the practical act makes ones and ones unclean in the sense of physically unclean. Because I don't need to explain that sexuality can spread diseases an all kinds of this. So of course you have to get physically clean... but that's natural is like washing your hands after coming from work. The thing is, there is no connection between physical and spiritual uncleanliness, unlike pharasees and church teach. Christ showed this in his teaching about eating with unclean hands... there he made clear that spiritual uncleanliness can never come from from physical things. Unless of course you are doing wrong things... but then the duttyness comes out of your heart.

But back to the woman. My Version of the bible says here not woman but an older word for woman which is today used only in the negative sense. (I think such a word doesn't exist in english) But the thing is, Back in the days this term for woman was completely normal and was used in the bible every time when a woman was mentioned. Today all this terms are changed with the term woman, because the other term is offensive. ALL but the one in that one part! Here it still says, that I n I shall not have anything to do with that bad term for woman. That is why I come to the conclusion, that this WOMAN refers to the GREAT WOMAN THE HARLOT.
This is the only way it makes sense to me.

Maybe we should also mention this part of the Nazarene Vow. Some think that the Nazarene should not have a woman, because a woman is not mentioned in that part which refers to his family members concerning burials. For example Bahatawi do not have women as far as I know. But JAH himself ordered Samson the Nazarene to take a woman!
That is why I think it is not mentioned here, because in the Beginning it is said: You LEAVE FAMILY to become ONE WITH YOUR WOMAN. Thats is why a Nazarene shall not even deal with burial of his family.... but because he is ONE (even in flesh!) with his Wife, he is the only one to burry her.

SELAH

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 1/24/2007 4:15:54 AM

I see your purpose youth, and so does I Father. Be careful

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 1/24/2007 4:36:33 AM

Well said Bro
However when you say "WHO I ask you shall live after Babylon falling when I n I refuse multiplying?" you make it sound as if celibacy is a rule for all to follow...now that would be going into the catholic mindset
I say again..this is for the few who know it and feel it

Natural? ofcourse
so is to eat everyday.....dont you ever fast and abstain from food?

when you say " Keep to the woman of your youthdays, keep one woman and find the right one. You have only ONE Rib, so only ONE can fit! Only then it is perfect."
this discription, at least to i, doesnt describe sex at all but LOVE

Did you know
the Mahatma Ghandi kept to the woman of his youthdays, his one and right woman, his one rib....and yet he was celibate for most of his life

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 1/24/2007 4:55:31 AM

Ises My Lord

I see you.

But the original post quoted the passage which says ALL of the 144000 shall live in celebacy. I was referring to THIS, not to the ones Yeshuah revered to who decide for themselves to live in celebacy. I only tried to explain, that THIS PASSAGE does not make any sense if it is read just like it stands there.

Eating is natural so I do not stop. My Lord living Ital is fasting every day. When you ask church people, fasting for them is staing away from meat and all kinds of unhealthy stuff. So I fast every day.
But no, I never stop eating... because I am too thin anyway, it would be very unhealthy for me. Is there a sense? Fasting for me is like you do for forgiving sins. I nah deal with that...

My Lord, sex is only ok imo if it is LOVE. there is a reasone why it is called MAKING LOVE. Everything else is only animal staisfaction, like HIM called it.

No I did not know that about Ghandi. But to me this is just not natural. i think to becaome ONE FLESH speaks for itself.

Selah

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 1/24/2007 5:11:53 AM

Blessed be iyah

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/24/2007 5:28:31 AM

Also, I guess if you want a biblical perspective, Paul discussed his own choice to celibacy and expressed that he did it to stay pure and serve Jah, because he makes the comment that a man who is single is trying to figure out what he can do to please Jah, but when a man is married he works to please his wife. So Paul choose celibacy. Be he makes note that, if a man is not called to be celibate that he should not choose to do so because the results would be a failure.

1Cor.7
[1] Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
[2] Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
[3] Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
[4] The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
[5] Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
[6] But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.
[7] For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
[8] I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
[9] But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Just another perspective

1 - 1011 - 14

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I