Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=829&start_row=1

Martin Luther King Jr. vs. Malcolm X

1 - 1011 - 15
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Rasta Rob Sent: 5/11/2005 4:57:38 PM

Greetings,

InI has been asked of my history teacher to do a paper of my choice of someone or something that was significant in the civil rights movement. I choose to write my paper comparing and contrasting Martin Luther King Jr. to Malcolm X. I have been able to find a couple of books here at my school but I was woundering if any of the I's knew of any other great books or web sites that are out there. Or even if the I knows much about these two very great men and could give I your own insight on how they are similar/different. InI would greatly appreciate the I's recomendations and views. Thanks very much!

Give thanks and Praise
Jah Ras TafarI

Rob

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 5/11/2005 6:29:43 PM

One of the good books I own that is written by Martin L. King and shouldnt cost you much is "Why We Can't Wait". I enjoy this book everytime I read from it, he gives alot of his Ideals in this book. I dont read Malcom X literature so I cant suggest anything their, another book that is good from MLK is the popular "I Have A Dream".

Ras ElIjah

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 5/11/2005 9:34:36 PM

Compare and Contrast Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X

Similarities:

Both believed that Afrikans in the US were disproportionately affected by poor healthcare, inadequate education, and substandard malnutrition due to socioeconomic status.

Both believed that SOMETHING must be done.

Both believed that waiting on the oppressor to correct these wrongs would not happen; thus the people would have to make it happen.

Both believed that their spiritual beliefs were provided a foundational basis to warrant their actions.

Both were cited as enemies by J.Edgar Hoover for, "having the power to assemble the masses".

Differences:

Malcolm was a threat because he mobilized many and was willing to use force and was willing to cripple the economy by separating.

MLK was a threat because he helped various groups of people to find common bonds, thus having the power to unite those groups and possibly change the situation by legitimately working within the shitstem and outnumbering the "few" who manipulated it for evil.
Malcolm X addressed the issues of healthcare, education, malnutrition, and financial distress from a offensive standpoint promoting separate existence for the Afrikan and providing education to address each of these issues. He essentially encouraged that Afrikans create their own financial institutions, educate their own children as well as re-educate the adults as well, and study diet and nutrition and abandon the western approach to diet altogether. Malcolm also believed that self defense in the form of violence is intelligence and that Islam is the true religion of the Afrikan. He later changed his views after a pilgrimage to Mecca to include all races acceptable in Islam. Even after this mindshift, he placed black unity above racial unity. (charity begins at home)

MLK addressed the issues of healthcare, education, malnutrition, and financial distress from a defensive standpoint and abandoned the racial overtone by promoting equality for all the disenfranchised, including poor whites, etc. (research the sanitation workers strike)

MLK viewed the problem holistically, and utilized his strong Christian spirituality to create the foundations that mirrored the teachings of the church as well as Ghandi, whom he has often credited with some of his views. MLK utilized a nonviolent approach to illustrate to the world how inhumane the conditions of many Amerikkkans were. He saw the problem as a crime against humanity, not a particular race. Many who strategized with MLK in Tennessee have reported that he would remind the organizers that the more peaceful and calm they could be, the more brutal and irrational the abuse they suffered would appear. The use of contrasting forces was an essential component in his strategy.

That is similar to what you are researching. In illustrating too very different viewpoints, you can brilliantly paint a picture of two of the most influential figures of that time period.

Hope this guide will point you in the right direction.

Blessings

RSK

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 5/12/2005 2:09:41 AM

Well said sis Khamyl! Those are some ilah points to work from for the paper.

Ras Rob, I recommend the Autobiography of Malcolm X. You may not have time to read it before the paper is due, but if you would like to use it as a reference you would find much of Malcolm's first-hand words on his works and perspectives during the civil rights period starting at ch.11 p.172 thru the end. Those chapters go from him working diligently and loyally for Elijah Muhammed and the nation of Islam, to his unfolding revelations of life. The Autobiography of Malcolm X has changed my mind set, it is the most amazing book I have ever read.
More guidance on the assignment, and props for the topic of choice.
blessed

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 5/12/2005 8:56:31 AM

Ises

To compair the two men is like playing them out against eachother. This is whiteman philosophy. So please try to point out their similarities and show that in the big picture the went ONE way for Black Upliftment.

Ifficial X Website

Selah

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 5/12/2005 10:12:15 AM

Great MLK site

Ras ElIjah

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 5/12/2005 12:44:02 PM

WELL SAID Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I!! TRUE WORD SOUND POWER.
In this land of constant comparison and ranking, racism, classism, ism, schism.. InI must keep fighting the boxes they want to put InI in.. Give thanks!
Ras Rob, that would be a VERY good point to conclude the I's paper with, after shining a light on both freedom fighters, prove they are of one cause and one work.. the upliftment of the black man.

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 5/12/2005 1:42:39 PM

Yes I Sistren!

Too often they try to play Malcolm against Martin, or vise versa. They quote more often Malcolm calling Martin a Oncle Tom than his apologise for doing so. They try to make it seem as if Black Freedomfighter are divided and do not see their aims themselves. In a way they all pulled the same rope... and this is what makes Western Shitstem afraid... all of them, Marcus, Martin, Malcolm, Panthers and even NOI. Yes, let's make them afraid and show unity!

Selah

Messenger: SisMenenI Sent: 5/13/2005 4:15:08 AM

The I is on the ITES bredren! Keep forwarding the progress.. Inity is the strength. The freedom fighters have paved the way, it is up to InI to trod in their wake.

"Sometimes, I have dared to dream to myself that one day, history may even say that my voice - which disturbed the white man's smugness, and his arrogance, and his complacency - that my voice helped to save America from a grave, possibly even a fatal catastrophe.

The goal has always been the same, with the approaches to it as different as mine and Dr. Martin Luther King's non-violent marching, that dramatizes the brutality and the evil of the white man against defenseless blacks. And in the racial climate of this country today, it is anybody's guess which of the "extremes" in approach to the black man's problems might personally meet a fatal catastrophe first- "non-violent" Dr. King, or so-called "violent" me." p. 385 The Autobiography of Malcolm X (as told to Alex Haley).

Blessed Rastafari Love

Messenger: Ras ElIjah Sent: 5/13/2005 8:36:45 AM

When I look at MLK & Mr. X one thing I do see and think is that even though they trying to break free of them chains they are all still traped, using the word "negro" is apart of that mental oppression. They huMANS, but they actually think of themselves as negro's (I dont know about MR. X but MLK does refer to himself as so), but ther not, soe racist wanted a name to call them and started to use it & it aint right.

Ras ElIjah

1 - 1011 - 15

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I