Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7830&start_row=1

Need tips for being a Rasta in Secret

1 - 8
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: PraiseJAH Sent: 5/26/2023 11:30:48 AM

what can I do to praise HIM in a household where it won't be safe to do so openly?

if i find or think of any I'll put them here.

may the downpression of JAH people end. amen.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 5/31/2023 4:18:07 PM

I respect this question.

In many families across the world, the ideas of the previous generation do not translate to the next. Parents judge their children and children judge their parents in return. Both judgments tend to influence the outcome of the next generation. You love and respect your family. You care about what they think. I respect that. Keep in mind that ultimately you have to choose how to live your life. It's your life. Not theirs. Many people are happy to upset their parents which they take as "rebellion". But what the world needs is a rebellion... revolution. Reggae is rebel music.

My mother would love for me to be a Seventh-Day Adventist, like her, and like my father. I respect them both for the people they are and were. I love them. But if something isn't right then it's not for me. My mother may not agree with me. But she respects me and she respects my knowledge on the subject because she knows I have reasons for my choices that she's a bit afraid to argue with because she knows I'm going to tell her the truth she's not ready to hear. I restrain myself because I understand that her choice is her religion because her religion is her coping mechanism after losing my father. So out of respect for that I restrain myself with the opportunities come up but sometimes meh cyan resist lol. But hey, I'm human just like everyone else.

So you choose how much to expose your family too. But don't feel like you need to totally hide either. They're not going to respect your choices in life if they don't see you willing to stand up for them. You don't have to provoke anything or go on offense but you need to be able to defend your choices. That's what people will respect. If they think you're shaky... wobbly... they'll test you and keep testing you trying to get you back into their traditions. And you don't have to point out their traditions have pagan origins or any of that. Trust me. I went through that phase. It's unnecessary. I wanted to believe that they just didn't know. The truth is that most people just don't care. Which is, again, why you don't need to go on offense, just be ready to defend yourself and let them know why you're different. People tend to attack differences out of fear. If you're not "one of us" it makes them uncomfortable. So let them know, whatever they see, that you're still family and you still accept them. Let them know you still love them no matter what. This isn't about them. It's about you.

But if you didn't catch my hint before... let me say it again.

Reggae music. Play it. Sing along with it. If they say something you can respond according to the energy they're coming at you with. All in love but strength only as appropriate.

Messenger: PraiseJAH Sent: 6/1/2023 8:19:07 AM

Many thanks for your wisdom. It'll be most helpful to me as i go through this path

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/7/2023 11:43:00 PM

The title and premise of this post bothers me deeply.

All I will say is I am the black hearted dreadful and terrible one

Rastafari

Messenger: Arma Gideon Sent: 6/8/2023 4:16:18 PM

Greetings to 1's & 1's

InI brief response on being a RASTA in secret. No matter what you do
your stance and separation will stand out sooner or later. Yes you may be able to keep it out of the way for awhile but people you are close to will see it manifesting before them.
Can't put a lit candle under a bucket and have it light up a room , you can respect house rules and still come to your fullness receiving the same respect you give i.e not flaunting anything in a rebel abrasive manner.

Raspect Garvey Africa

Messenger: PraiseJAH Sent: 6/23/2023 4:50:47 PM

Thank you for this. This was very important to hear.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 8/14/2023 11:01:07 PM

Yeah the Ital life will be a light. Not hidden. Shinin on....

It is no secret. What Jah has done for others, he will do for you.

https://youtu.be/bZdgt9VUlSI

Just try not to be over zeolous which is easy to do as a novice realizing his or her trod with Rastafari

Messenger: Peace21 Sent: 8/16/2023 4:14:13 PM

Maintain integrity without causing intentional offence, you have nothing to hide as such, defend your faith and livity by showing integrity, humility. Then none can really challenge or oppress it, they can't over-power you or have power over you.

Even amongst the intolerant and malicious, there's a way you can not make that your bench mark. If you can't be tested like that, look again at what you think you represent and why.

Blessings.

1 - 8

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I