Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7818&start_row=1

Babylon

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Alem Medic Sent: 2/23/2023 9:31:43 AM

Hey,

i'm currently in high school in Belgium so it is possible that my english is not the best.

However, this year we need to write a final work about any topic we want and I decided to write about the Rastafarians and the impact the Goverment/State and People had on the Religion.

So I wanted to ask you guys if there is somebody who you know or even yourself, who experienced this time and could provide me some informations, how it was and how did it changed and in what way.

thanks in advance :)

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 2/23/2023 10:31:03 AM

Greetings and Love Youthman

Your question is vague. What time period are you speaking of? You do realize that Rastafari is ever living and a growing movement, not a period in history? Very much still alive and thriving.

I recommend reading Chanting Down Babylon, a textbook full of different perspectives on the inception and continuation of the movement. Find it on amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Chanting-Down-Babylon-Rastafari-Reader/dp/1566395844

You can't study the Rastaman
Point being - Rastafari is an experience. From the outside it is not possible to Overstand fully the whole picture. No matter what you read, your vision of Rastafari cannot be complete. Rastafari is a manifestation coming from within.

Best wishes on your studies. Ultimately study of Rastafari may lead to personal experience and this is a beautiful thing. As is openminded respect for others whose experience is different from yours. So it's all Love and Respect either way youthman.

Oneness in Haile Selassie I + Empress Menen I name
Sister JAH child

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 2/23/2023 4:30:36 PM

Respect for not asking chatGPT lol

In my opinion, the reference to Babylon is an archetype. Rastafari isn't trapped in literal theological exegesis of the scriptures. Rastafari understands the spiritual nature of a thing is its essence. So when ancient Hebrews said this or that prophet would return, it is talking about their spiritual essence, much like a tree producing a seed after itself. Yeshua (Jesus) says you can know a tree by its fruit. This is echoed in 1 John 3.

And I'm running out of time so I'll have to say more tomorrow.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 2/25/2023 12:20:09 AM

Yes Rastafari is a experienced lifestyle. Cant study it.

Ya can study history of Ethiopia, the Lineage of Haile Selassie/King David, Jamaica, slavery daya, colonization, The Maroons, Marcus Garvey and reggae music.....
Yes Rastafari rose up in a time of colonial government, looking to Ethiopia for their king and kingdom, not The Queen of England. Reggae sound was born in correlation of Jamaican independance day from England but the colonial mindset and politics is still being shaken off.

That should get ya started in a good study and report. Good Luck and JAH Bless!

"As it was in the beginning, so shall it be in this hour; He is the same yesterday, today and forever more."

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 3/1/2023 2:23:53 PM

Apologies. I meant to speak more on this sooner.

I would dare say that most religions suffer tragically with the handling of symbols. They tend to take things literally that have no business in fact. Why? Because adherents of these religions desire a certain physical outcome. And why? A coping mechanism for their life experiences and the inevitable experience and loss associated with death.

Such physical wants and desires demand such literal interpretations of their respective religions. Islam, for example, as payment for a short life spent in battle, promised 70 virgins as if a rational man who respects women as equals would want 70 women to be commanded to become his personal property. This offer is sick. Disgusting. But it is also fundamentally manipulative and human.

When Rome was at its height we do not know the reason it sought global domination. For all we know the plan from the outset was world peace. After all, if one ruler were to dominate the global to the point where no person, group, tribe, or state dared to oppose him and had to do so before they could be permitted to fight anyone else, this would be the end of war as we know it. And so... it would be necessary in this case to invade foreign soil. But the cost of this... "service" was a military beyond what anyone else could defeat and that costs money. Ask the United States.

But also ask the United States how it manages to pay billions of dollars in foreign aid and settle conflicts in remote parts of the world simply by being a member of an alliance.

The Hebrew people, by their own definition, by their own testimony, were a warrior nation that fought and killed many, conquered villages and towns, counted women as spoils, bought and sold slaves, etc. etc. I recall one that city that knew they were coming and in advance asked to be spared and to pay tribute instead. The reason that Israelite men were given land is because they collectively fought and collectively stole and collectively murdered. These are all things against the law for one individual to do to another, but collectively... they played by different rules.

So imagine their horror as a bigger nation defeated them. Yeshua (Jesus) said those who live by the sword would die by the sword. Unfortunately this was said much to late to benefit the Israelites as a whole. Now they were the unwilling property of Rome, subject to Roman laws and taxes but... but... allowed to have some autonomy and govern themselves because Rome wasn't interested in that. Rome did not seek to remove their identity or their God YHWH. They were able to believe whatever they wished and practice their beliefs so long as they were not a threat to the empire.

And again... the Hebrew people were guilty. Their hands were stained with the blood of innocents. They even regarded Samson as a hero for being a serial killer, law evading, enemy of the state who liked foreign women. But while in the territory of a foreign nation he should have respected their laws if not the ten commandments which doesn't allowing murdering people in order to steal their clothes no matter how upset you are to have lost a wager. No, they believed that YHWH had given Samson the power to destroy his enemies and this... the notion that they were enemies... superceded the law and even the most basic command that went back to Cain and Abel.

We don't even fully know that the Hebrews weren't the bad guys in all of the wars they were involved with. The only territory they had and were entitled to was stolen.

Look, why am I saying all this when it is so not a good look for the Hebrews who literally killed each other if they didn't fall in line with a certain belief?

It's simple. An academic paper should tell the truth.

And the truth is that there is another side to every story. The story of Christianity has been almost entirely whitewashed in history because of one simple fact. Rome won. The entire agenda of the movement around Yeshua (Jesus) had the singular purpose of uniting the 12 tribes of Israel, under the banner of a messiah (literally means "king"), so that they could fight for their freedom against Rome.

I don't know what they would have done with this freedom. However, it seemed like they were seeking to fulfill their own prophecies in which there would, at some point, be a messiah who would conquer the world and bring about world peace under his rule. Gee... where have we heard that before? Oh yes! I just mentioned that might have been the aim of Rome and if I'm being honest, perhaps it was also the aim of the Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar but their mistake was trying to dictate religious beliefs... no separation between church and state. Not only is this a problem of free will... I mean... every human should have the right to believe whatever they choose (including Hebrews who didn't trust or believe Moses)... it was also a problem of national identity because that was intertwined with their belief. They were, after all, "Yisra'el" and you can't be that without the EL ("God"). But again, I do not know what they would have done with this freedom. They seemed comfortable not randomly killing people during the NT. In fact, the most peace they may have ever had was under the hand of Rome. And as I said, they even got to keep their religious identity. There was just one thing they really couldn't have and that was a king and, I lied, also low taxes.

They hated these taxes. Can you imagine! Having to pay taxes on land your rightfully stole to a nation that had rightfully bested you for it the same way! Perish the thought! The truth is that everyone kinda wanted world domination. They just all wanted the dominant group to be them.

And if it wasn't? A lot of people considered this the end of the world. You'll find in Matthew 24-25 that the followers of Yeshua were told that the end was near and that they should flee into the mountains. Again, they hadn't lost autonomy. They simply couldn't have a king. And in their beginning they also didn't have a king. They only got a king because they begged for a king and so the first king they had was corrupt. And this created a line of succession where corruption was commonplace. But they wanted a king so they got one because it was that or rebellion.

(cont'd)

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 3/1/2023 2:58:19 PM

Again, Yeshua (Jesus) whether he liked it or not and whether he knew it or not, was being set up to be a symbol for the Hebrew rebellion against Rome. The Jewish leaders knew this. They tried their best to keep it from spinning out of control. They tried to reign in this movement but politically they knew it was popular and thus powerful so what they could do was limited. They were of course accused of jealousy and being sellouts and "uncle Toms" even though that story is inaccurate, but were they? Were they? No, they were educated. Not only were they educated but they had a little more knowledge about the size and scope of the Roman empire than the hearsay gossip being spread from farm to fishing boat. They were not under the illusion that YHWH elohim, EL Shaddai, was going to come down and for as long as they held up a staff, was going to fight the Romans along side them so that 1 of their fighters would be like 100 trained and armored Romans. They were under no such illusion and so they did what they believed was in the best interest of their people.

They turned him in.

Christians have no desire to understand this, but the reality is that they knew the danger and so did many average people. I know this because if you research the "zealots" you will find that they went to extremes in order to get people to fight. And once they were actually able to provoke a real response from Rome they found out why the empire was called an empire.

By the time of Paul the Christians were already identified as "movers of sedition". Saul himself was likely dispatched as an agent of Rome to seek out hidden Christians to bring them to justice. I'd like to believe though that Saul didn't see the "criminal activity" he imagined he would see. Perhaps he saw them as innocents who had gotten in over their heads and were being used as pawns. They weren't all trying to overthrow Rome. How could they? But of course Saul wasn't trusted by the disciples. Why would they? His reputation must have preceded him to some extent for there to be a story about his conversion. But they were busy in their original mission: preaching the gospel to the 12 tribes. For Paul to be sent to teach the gospel to the gentiles mean that there had to be something else in that message that would appeal to Romans. So this was a message of freedom, not from Rome and their high taxes, but from sin. And the story continued to evolve from there. Saul, now Paul, likely was part of what ensured this evolution. But was it enough to save the Christians? Nero, at the time, didn't think so. By 64 AD he was already feeding Christians to the lions in the colosseum. By 66 they rebelled. So where did they get the fighters? Was it simply the zealots, not connected with the disciples or Yeshua at all? Or had some of their people merged with some of their people? Regardless, Nero dispatched Vespasian to restore order. This was the beginning.

By the year 68 the rebellion was basically defeated. Nero died that year but the rest, control of Jerusalem, fell to his son Titus. The destruction that occurred in 70AD was like an elephant swatting at a fly. The next day, business in the empire went on as usual but the Israelites were devastated. Thousands were killed. Many fled to the mountains. After all, it was the end of the world.

But was it popular? Probably not. I'm sure there was some political blowback. As it happened, the message of Paul likely made it seem like these saints were oppressed people who simply wanted to evade the vile clutches of their internal demons in order to save their souls. People were seen as martyrs. The story started to change. By the time it was done changing Rome now had total sovereign control over the narrative.

Of course, people like John who still hated Rome had to be exiled, but now suddenly the church was in the hands of the gentiles and they were leading it. This allowed for Christianity to go through a hostile takeover to the extent that this "son of God" as defined by 1 John 3, was now "God the sun/son" because Constantine was a sunworshipper. It was perfect. They switch sabbath for sunday worship and they celebrated Jesus on the winter SOL(sun) stice. Christianity was now a pagan convert.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 3/1/2023 5:55:36 PM

Now as these perverse changes were happening in Rome leading up to the creation of the Vatican and the papacy, there was another strand of Christianity in a distant land. Ethiopia.

It is thought that the founding of this church was based on the preaching of Matthew or the eunuch of the Acts of the Apostles. It was established in the 4th century by St Frumentius and his brother Aedesius. If these do not sound like Ethiopian names there's probably a good reason for that. He was a Christian missionary from Phoenicia. He brought Christianity to the Kingdom of Aksum.

Because of this link there is a line of information and influence that can still come from Rome. On the other hand, Ehtiopia was still soverign territory that could make its own decisions on how to be Christians. On top of this, missionaries had gone all over the world but... here's the catch... this missionary effort wasn't always... "nice". That is to say, somehow people were getting the idea that they need to convert or else.

Around 700 AD Ethiopia had a Muslim problem. Islam influenced the church however it did not fall to Islam like other countries around it. Ethiopia tried to get help from Portugal against Islam but it came with strings attached. They wanted to introduce Catholic missionaries and Jesuit priests into Ethiopia. Ethiopia resisted and so the full influence of the Vatican was unable to penetrate.

However, Christianity was still a bully on the world stage, leading to the Crusades in the 10th century and then the Inquistions. This reignited the visage of Roman oppression and the Vatican became something to be feared. Other religions, especially African, had to find ways to hide their belief systems inside some version of catholicism. Catholic Church doctrine supports intercessory prayer to saints. This created the opportunity for other religions to dress up their deities as "saints". Europeans were arrogant so whether they noticed this or not, it still happened.

All of this forms the socio-political backdrop. England was picking up the vacuum left by Rome but the religious power of Rome was still alive in the Vatican. Catholicism started in England in the 6th century and later fell out of favor in 1559 when it became illegal. The reality is that Rome's version of Christianity was a socio-political pyramid of power. This power itself tried to dominate the globe in ways that the Roman Empire had failed to do. So they influenced states hoping to install themselves as the state religion while at the same time influencing those states to spread Christianity and fight any of its adversaries. So the spirit of Rome was alive and well.

When viewed in a spiritual context, the Vatican fits into the role of the Whore of Revelation which rides on the back of a government and causes other nations to bow to her authority. But she's a whore because she "fornicates" religiously with other doctrines. It's essentially a refute against paganism which was merged into Christianity from the early 2nd and 3rd centuries or before.

And then came slavery and the introduction of His Imperial Majesty, Haile Selassie I.

With the Vatican and Rome fitting into prophetic archetypes it allowed Selassie to fit into an archetype as well. The Messiah. Unlike the NT's messiah who was crucified as an enemy of the Roman state leading to the destruction of the temple in 70 AD and the rebellions that were inevitably put down, Selassie was victorious in repelling the Europeans who were trying to takeover Africa. While, he did this through political strategy and not just military force, what this represents to Rastafarians is a symbol of the unconquered spirit of black liberation.

Although, I'm saying "black liberation", I'm putting emphasis on this only in the sense that this was the immediate need of Africans displaced by the transatlantic slave trade, as a symbol of hope and possible return to our continental home.

Even if one makes the argument that black people are "thriving in America" in comparison to many countries in Africa, the problem with this thinking is that black people thrive in spite of racism and prejudice. However, these obstacles are not universally overcome and Europeans especially in America have subtle means and methods to protect their advantages. We simply cannot know how far African could have progressed on our own, in Africa, without the interference and colonization of Europeans. If Europeans were simply settlers it would be different. However, they sought power and began taking the very resources Africa is rich in, in order to enrich themselves while claiming Africans were genetically inferior. But we've seen places like Dubai flourish simply because of a natural resource they were able to sell to the world. The idea that Black people were better off as slaves allowed ignorance in Europeans to reach such heights that it allowed them to justify absolute evil.

When a human (regardless of hue) goes through hell, they must hold on to something. They must hold on to some hope that things will change for the better. Otherwise, that human will lose his very sanity.

Much like the Israelites under Roman occupation, black liberation... the movement simply for the idea that black people deserved to be free and treated as equals... the knowledge that we had come from Africa and been part of proud ancestry, languages, cultures, and traditions, even though this very identity was lost to us in the west... black liberation was in need of an icon; a messiah-like figure that could unite that culture and cultivate an undying spirit of hope and progress and restoration. And much like Yeshua, whether he knew it or liked it or not, Haile Selassie I became that symbol for a lot of people. And he didn't go against it because he knew it was needed. Was he some promised messiah according to prophecy?

No, but did that stop Yeshua and the entire NT from happening? No. The NT happened because they literally read prophecies and followed them like a playbook, trying to bring them... force them... to come true. Literally, they were not true. That is why Rome literally defeated them.

Symbolism is more important in spirituality than any sort of literal interpretation. You can see this in the Book of Daniel where nations are symbolized in the mega statue of Nebuchadnezzer. What that shows is that this whole global domination agenda was a cycle going back through time. And... just like STAR WARS... the cycle that produces an empire will also create the rebellion/resistance. The formation of European power into white supremacy also created the resistance and the cause of black liberation. Just like how the rebels in Star Wars are from all species, the resistance against white supremacy is fought by members of all races. This is important to say because it is somewhat true that the climate created by white supremacy creates a lot of distrust between whites and blacks specifically that only really overcome by personal relationships. And I want to underscore this point because I don't want any Europeans to feel alienated by the idea of "black" liberation. We're only talking about a construct that is opposite of "white" supremacy. And it is called that because the same Euopean forces that created "race" as a construct and used it to gain power, are the same forces that want to keep that power.

Now... just because there is a socio-political element at play with white supremacy vs black liberation... that doesn't mean there isn't a deeper understanding and spiritual path layered on top just as there was a deeper understanding within Christianity that the Europeans grabbed onto which had nothing to do with the rebellion against Rome. They couldn't have cared less that Jesus wasn't a literal king of Israel. The spiritual ideas around love, peace, and harmony resonated. And these are the same ideas resonating in Rastafari. And when Bob Marley, much like a musical missionary, sent the positive vibrations of Rastafari culture into the world, people started to listen and pick up on that signal, connecting the struggle for human rights with love peace and harmony. I could not do justice to the experience of Rasta livity. Others are right to say that it is something each person must experience. So that's why I'm just saying love peace and harmony. The are just concepts and ideas, but putting them into motion is what creates change. And a change in people equals a change in society. So anything that looks like Babylon, talks like Babylon, acts like Babylon, symbolically is Babylon and therefore can be defeated by resonating with this inward change in the heart of man.

Messenger: isahman Sent: 4/24/2023 7:48:14 AM

Hi,
just noticed your message
i live next to the border of Belgium
if you reply
maybe we can meet

and there is a large body of texts that studied Rastafari
i can help you with that as well

Power

isahman

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 6/1/2023 8:30:51 AM

One of the historical facts we're going to have to face as we continue to burn down the memory and legacy of Rome is the total consciousness of the likely DNA-written desire of the human species to divide but also to assimilate and come back together. To this end, I intend to start talking about 2 very key points in history. One is probably much more known. The other perhaps not, because it's a subject I have hardly heard spoken. And the reason isn't because it's boring or useless information. The reason is that there is a reason they don't want us to talk about it.

The first key point is Constantine & Rome. We need to talk about the conversion to Christianity and how it affects us and other key figures who we respect and admire. And how it affects our traditions and what legacy we seek to continue. We need to talk about the socio-economic and political nature of this and dig into people's motivations. I want us to clearly see the chess moves so we can see the game in a way that allows us to counter the checkmate situation we've found ourselves in.

The second key point is more distant. But it intersects with the first in ways that connect one religion to the other. And I'm going to warn you right now. Some of this information is going to be hard to hear and some people may get hurt. But if we don't talk about it, never talk about it, we cannot start the process of healing. So, if you don't know about Ptolemy I it's time to learn this name because the second key point is Ptolemy I Soter and Serapis.

There is a reason why the dominant culture wants to control the historical narrative. There is a reason why, even if the information is still available, they don't want to talk about it. There is a reason why they take people's language and culture. And if we have any real hope to find a way out we have to get back what was lost in all they knew they had to take.

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I