Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7604&start_row=1

Birth control

1 - 8
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Bongo meca Sent: 11/25/2021 11:45:34 PM

Chime in ,is it not healthy for a rasta woman to use birth control?

ises

Messenger: Arma Gideon Sent: 11/26/2021 9:35:44 PM

Greetings To the I

what is the I view on birth control ?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 11/27/2021 11:23:08 AM

Greetings Sista Bongo

I think womban have to make their own choice on how to manage their family size, together with their Kingman they must decide that. However, rather than chemical birth control or iud or anything like that, I would (IF I wanted to avoid pregnancy) choose the way Bobo Ashanti deal with man and womban relations - use a rhythm method basically. Bobo Ashanti say week 3 of the womban cycle is when man n womban can have relations because she is "clean" - well I&I as womban know that we are always clean no matter what week of the cycle, yet yes it is true the third week is (for most womban) when their fertile window would close and she would be in the luteal phase meaning, unable to concieve. If you know your cycle well enough, you know when you are fertile and when you're not. Use OPKs if you want to test this, and then avoid sex during the times when the test is positive and for the 3 or so days before - of course only after a few months of testing would you know when this three days would normally start. Another way is to take your basal body temperature (temp first thing in the morning when waking) and avoid sex until the temperature has spiked. Again, it would be a few months of testing before really getting the pattern of the temperatures. And all of this is really unreliable in general if you are breastfeeding, which I know the I mentioned the I have a baby so the I might be breastfeeding and therefore the I cycle would be totally unpredictable and hard to guage when the fertile window is. So in that case maybe total abstinance would be the only natural way to ensure avoiding pregnancy.

The only reason I know all of this is because I use it in the opposite way - in trying to get pregnant. Considering how hard and for how many years I have tried to have a child, I would never ever consider avoiding pregnancy. If I end up with ten children I would consider it a miracle and welcome it after all of this trying and praying and mourning losses. But for people who have children easily, I can see why they would want to avoid pregnancy or at least space the births out a little more.

There is a book by Toni Weschler called Taking Charge of Your Fertility where she details all of these natural methods to track your own cycle and how to either achieve or avoid pregnancy based on your current desire.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/27/2021 12:43:43 PM

No to birth control

Bring i dawtas bring i sons

Messenger: Bongo meca Sent: 11/27/2021 3:57:38 PM

My views on bc are every woman has a choice but with more reasonings through the rastafari livity I am willing to change that.

Sistren I wish u the best on your ttc journey and I pray many upon many children for the I.

I know a few rasta women who have had 5+ children so I know in this livity the children are supposed to be brought forth. But I don't think I could manage with more than 1 child. I think it's beautiful having a big family but for the I I'ma stick with my one for now.

Providing shelter and food for myself wasn't always easy because I wanted to just hang out and not work but now I'm in school and about to get a decent job .I'm also kinda scared to have more than one baby lol.

Messenger: Bongo meca Sent: 11/27/2021 3:59:52 PM

So if I understand correctly week 3 of the cycle is the time of purity for bobo? Ok this is kinda how I used to track my period and cycles to avoid pregnancy ,the one I had was planned and intentional after a few months of trying . Sistren you could always adopt children AND keep trying for your own .

The bobo orda seems kinda strict sex only 1 week out of the month hmm.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 11/27/2021 5:46:35 PM

Iyah Garveys Africa, I am with the I on that! Yet I King laughs when I say I want more than one "if I win the lottery!" But I don't think having children is such an expense, depending on the lifestyle, depending on the priorities in the family spending habits. Garvey I, the I have many youths? And if so, how does the I manage the costs of raising children?

Bongo Iyah, thankhs so much Empress for the well wishes and prayers, I hope to soon give a positive update on our journey to parenthood. I pray the I fulljoy motherhood in the fullest also and have just as many children as the I end up wanting! It's an individual choice and I don't believe womban should sacrifice her mental health for an ideal, if it would be too much on ones n ones, then they should not feel pressured.

I am not too clear on the specifics of the Bobo Ashanti ways, not being part of that tribe, but it may be both weeks 3 and 4 that are clean and available for sexual relations. Maybe. Not sure. Anyone who knows the Bobo ways can give a better answer please!
Funny enough if I was in the Bobo house, this method would not be a preventative measure for I because I actually ovulate on day 17 or 18 of my cycle. This just goes to show that all womban have a different cycle and they have to know their own bodies rather than basing their sexual habits, whether trying to conceieve or trying to avoid pregnancy, on a generalization or an average of female cycles.

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 11/28/2021 2:48:42 AM

Not healthy, too many concerning side effects, birth control is not only preventing life it is a carcinogenic to woman taking it.

So to the original question-nothing healthy about it

Scary stuff, much scarier than having a beautiful baby I'd say

https://www.hli.org/resources/negative-effects-of-the-pill/
https://naturalwomanhood.org/10-most-common-birth-control-side-effects-2018/

1 - 8

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I