Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7262&start_row=1

Hip hop, repatriation and crime

1 - 7
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Geez Che Sent: 12/31/2019 7:29:28 AM

Hip hop started as a dialogue between Black neighbourhoods and spread to a dialogue between Blacks across the United States. Owing to the nature of the empire, it is now spreading internationally and has been for some time, it has reached Africa.

Repatriation is a must, voluntary repatriation, but it must be desired by both Africa and Afro-Americans if it is to work. Early experiments failed, largely because the descendants of slaves were not welcomed by the Africans when they started repeating the wrongs of colonisation. Even in Ethiopia, this fear remains.

For the most part, nations welcome those immigrants who have something to offer, and reject those who bring problems. So what do the descendants of slaves have to offer.

The empire was formed through crime, and hip hop teaches this. Does Africa want to repeat the history of Europe?

I think Africa wants to be free and prosperous. I do not think it wants colonies, slaves and corruption, but I could be wrong.

With the international dialogue increasing, something has to change in my opinion. Hip hop has to change, to stop reflecting the crimes that "Whites" committed some four hundred years ago, and start educating people in positive things.

I may be making a vast generalization. Hip hop makes money, and Afro-Americans need money. But is that all Africa wants? Money brings corruption and crime without the arts and sciences.

The question remains, what sort of education can Afro-Americans bring that Africa wants?

Africans value education, they value Western education, they perhaps undervalue their own education too much, but what education do Afro-Americans value?

I really am against hip hop in its current form, it is largely playing to the fetishization of Whites in order to make money. But then as a non-Black, I don't really know how Black people in the West relate to it. Perhaps they see it as both a warning and an example of someone trying to get on.

White people use it to fantasize about being bad, and of course Black people are bad, so it is a way of fantasizing about being Black.

Examples of bad Black people sells. Thus I don't blame Afro-Americans for making hip hop in a racist world, I just think that we need to move this conversation on.

Thank you.

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 12/31/2019 10:15:33 AM

LOL, is this the polite version of "Go back to Africa"?

First of all, Africa is not a nation. It is a continent. How do you repatriate to a continent?

Secondly, We all came from Africa. So why is it only Europeans who are allowed to colonize other lands WHILE maintaining their homeland in Europe which they claim as their own even though they also came out of Africa? Do they need to go back as well? If not, why not?

Third. Europe as a sort of combined network of European based nations has long used expanded territory borrowed from others, in order to gain wealth and use that wealth for trading and further development. Wherever we were to go in the world we could not get away from white supremacy, power, and influence. It is global.

Fourth. Many people have continually mined Africa for its wealth and human resources. Will Africa be paid back for this?

Fifth. The Moors had already left Africa and sailed the seas and gave maps to Europeans. Their story isn't told. However, the idea that Africans were landlocked as if we did not have boats is wrong.

Sixth. What we need is for African nations and tribes to find and invest in their people wherever they are in the world and get back, in return, talent and technology that has been gained by working with others.

Seventh. The fact is that black people have helped to make America the great nation that it now is. We are just as much a part of that now as anyone else. Like seeds from a tree blowing in the wind, now we're here. There's no need for us to be tribal. What we need is to take advantage of opportunities here and everywhere else and set up manufacturing opportunities in Africa that we can then create a pipeline for products into other parts of the world where we happen to be. We cannot do that all living in Africa for the same reason that global corporations have offices and employees in the countries they operate in.

It's not simply about what we can do for Africa but what we can do for each other, capitalizing on our current position.

Messenger: Geez Che Sent: 1/1/2020 6:01:35 AM

Thank you IPX, I'm glad you could laugh at the irony of my initial post, being asked to "go home" is something that I have also faced.

I think the points you raise are important. Thank you.

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 1/1/2020 7:26:09 PM

Geez Che said, "Hip hop has to change, to stop reflecting the crimes that "Whites" committed some four hundred years ago, and start educating people in positive things."

I love hip hop. Hip hop always changes and yet it remains the same. Hip hop has been educating people on ALL things. Think about it. Selah.

Now when you say that "Hip hop has to change, to stop reflecting the crimes that "Whites" committed some four hundred years ago" I gotta say that when the atlantic slave trade began, not when it started. "Whites" need to stop downpressing black people. When that happens, then hip hop raps won't express the need for social justice, freedom from downpression (ever listen to reggae? lol)...

Hip hop is about life, the good, the bad, the ugly, and the beautiful: "not until you've listened to Rakim on a rocky moutaintop have you ever heard Hip Hop."

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 1/1/2020 7:41:59 PM

Geez Che said, "Hip hop has to change, to stop reflecting the crimes that "Whites" committed some four hundred years ago, and start educating people in positive things."

I love hip hop. Hip hop always changes and yet it remains the same. Hip hop has been educating people on ALL things. Think about it. Selah.

Now when you say that "Hip hop has to change, to stop reflecting the crimes that "Whites" committed some four hundred years ago" I gotta say that some four hundred years ago is when the atlantic slave trade began, not when it ended "Whites" need to stop downpressing black people. When that happens, then hip hop raps won't express the need for social justice, freedom from downpression (ever listen to reggae? lol)...

Hip hop is about life, the good, the bad, the ugly, and the beautiful: "not until you've listened to Rakim on a rocky moutaintop have you ever heard Hip Hop."

Messenger: Jahcub I Sent: 1/1/2020 7:45:31 PM

*that first post of the double has some grammar typos lol!

400 years ago is when the atlantic slave trade started, not when it ended. Black people are still dealing with all that fuckery to this day. Once it stops, then you will hear more kumbaya in hip hop.

Bless

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/2/2020 12:03:11 AM

Hip Hop music on a whole does not have Repatriation in any form of primary focus. Hip Hop is more often the reflection of the black experience in American DEVOID of all indigenous cultural identity.

Repatriation as Garvey put it was never intended for every diaspora African. But Rastafari often quote Bible and say not even the dog that piss on the wall of Babylon shall escape a fiery judgement.

Before Repatriation InI first need mass self reparations of InI psyche. InI only will receive this by each one teach one and reawakening InI. Reparations are not about a handout from Babylon (which they do owe) but about InI making the necessary reparatory effort of the 1000 year multi generational effects of the kidnapping / torture / diet / generational offsetting and cultural loss; surrounding chattel slavery and colonisation.

InI also need to establish free travel between African countries and of it's diaspora without the need of visa or even passport.

These changes will all make mass repatriation more feasible. Yet and still, the idea of a sudden influx of 500 million diaspora Africans into Shashemane will never be a reality outside of 'Super'natural biblical mircacle.

Let's not forget Haile Selassie I vision, as the leader of a United States of Africa, with diaspora included. Under once commerce and overall rule. That would allow for free passage for all who wanted to repatriate. But in a sense, InI would have all already repatriated as the diaspora WOULD be a part of Africa. Although for ones who are not in a diaspora country but a mixed country / foreign kidnap land such as America and England....it's more layered and tricky.

I man still can't see how a 1 attribute Hip Hop to American Africans considering mass repatriation. I dont agree that Hip Hop music does so. And I man don't agree that Repatriation is anything more than an esoteric minority thought, from some American Africans but not a mainstream majority based idea.

De I muss listen a bagga Dead Prez Black Thought and Aisha Sekhmet lol don't it? Ises I.....

1 - 7

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I