Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7203&start_row=21

How do I&I read the bible?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 74
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 10/23/2019 3:24:45 PM

Barrington isn't a Rastafari
Also
The song is almost half a century old from a time when the grasp of slave masters Christianity still had a strong monopolised grip on the psyche of InI domicile on a former plantation island.

If the bible was all I had and knew then do not use I to say 'look at how Rastafari use the bible' as its more than disingenuous.... Especially if the person you quote is actually a bald head...

Let's not turn into a sound clash lol as I could too post Rastafari brethrin singing and chanting against bible, Jesus and Christiandom..... But let's not. I already did that with Nesta LOL

Blessed I

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 10/23/2019 4:55:25 PM

Well the thread is "How do I&I read the bible?"

Iman read the Bible with love and an eagerness to learn and experience what JAH will show I.

And I will post more videos from the I them that speak of how they read the Bible and what the I them gain from it.

Respect

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 10/23/2019 6:11:27 PM

The video above is a song made at a later date by a RastafarI breddren who appreciloves his Bible still, in these here times.

Also, do you not think His Majesty is well aware of the history of the Bible and the slavemasters?

And yet with all the books and knowledge of the world that Selassie has, He still apprecilove the Bible

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 10/31/2019 4:53:44 PM

Ras Flako reasoning on how to read the Bible

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 11/1/2019 4:42:42 PM

GA: The song is almost half a century old from a time when the grasp of slave masters Christianity still had a strong monopolized grip on the psyche of InI domicile on a former plantation island.

@Jahcub

I think you have a good mindset and that you're trying to defend the book that you feel so positively about and I have nothing against that because that is what I used to read and that's exactly what I defended against any and every critic. So let me just encourage you to keep doing you and keep being that genuine person with love in his heart.

with that said, I have to also say, please consider the wise words of GA quoted above. And yeah, you caught me off guard with your earlier post and I didn't have a great response at the time lol. But please let me add to what GA said.

The bible served a particular purpose. There is a reason why capitalism is based on the concept and reality of supply and demand. It is the truth.

When we were given the bible we needed it because we had been disconnected from our roots and culture. We were slaves and Jesus was talking about salvation which is just another word for freedom. Not only that, but the bible told us that the wicked would be punished. And we needed to hear that too.

But massa was reading the same book. How could he not understand this same message? How could he not fear for his own eternal salvation? What bible was he reading?

How is it that two vastly different people; the master and the slave, could read and be edified by the same book without a massive moral conflict?

It's all about perspective. The master simply reads the parts of the bible that support his claim to wealth, prosperity, and dominion. He'll use the curse of Ham to justify his treatment of blacks. He'll use what the bible says about women to justify his treatment of his own wife. And this is all enabled by the fact that much of the bible was written by people in the same position; masters.

When Moses burst onto the scene he was regarded as a savior... a deliverer. The people were in need. And he came talking about salvation. He told them what they wanted to hear and that the Egyptians would be punished.

But this story of freedom was unlike the songs of freedom Bob Marley sang about. It made Moses the master, not of the Egyptians, but of his own people as long as he could maintain a sort of political control over them. Because he wasn't a king but they also didn't have a democracy. It was a theocracy. So as long as people believed that Moses spoke for God he would keep that control over them and through them his family would have all the wealth and power they wanted. This is why as soon as they "got free" they were used to rob, rape, and pillage other nations.

But this is the part that good men like you don't focus your reading on or ask too many questions about because this introduces moral challenges to who exactly these people were and why such behavior was tolerated by a just God.

Does the idea that everyone was a sinner justify one nation to around killing others and taking their land? What was it that justified slavery? If the fact that everyone is a sinner means that you can do whatever you want to them, then why shouldn't whites have done whatever they wanted to us? And if it was okay, what they did to us, then why would we be in need of salvation?

It is a cycle; a very deadly one. If you read the bible cover to cover I have no doubt you would eventually see this yourself. But to skip ahead... humans make claims about God all the time that have to do with their wants and needs. Think about the last dozen prayers you've heard. People have a certain "demand" for salvation. So the "masters" take advantage of this and they say "God said we should go take Canaan" or "God said manifest destiny. Let's take the land from the indians" or "God said these Africans are cursed so we can use them to help us build a new nation."

There has never been a shortage of what people are willing to say that God told them to tell people. And there have always been those who got caught faking it and those who didn't. Look at LDS and who founded the Mormon church. How is it that this church exists when it was founded by a con artist and a swindler? In other words, there is no shortage of human beings willing to lie to each other for gain. Who were the forefathers of the Israelites, from whose perspective the story is told from? Are they broke niggas? Or were they extremely wealthy? Of course they might explain their wealth by telling us they were blessed. But read the book. Abraham lied. Jacob lied to his own father to steal the birthright (and therefore wealth) from his own twin brother. Someone who would lie to their dying father wouldn't lie to you?

I'm not trying to convince you that the bible is full of lies. I'm rather trying to get you to see that these were human beings who weren't totally honest, even with what little is revealed about them in the bible. Abraham lied about his wife being his sister and was willing to let someone else have her just because he was afraid of being killed in a plot to take her by force. The Pharaoh was rightfully pissed off, not just that he lied, but that he thought he had to. But he was more righteous than Abraham thought and in that moment the righteousness of Abraham failed. The bible says "lying lips are an abomination to Yahweh". How could Abraham represent God to this pharaoh when he couldn't even have faith for God to protect him if he told the truth? So therefore, how could any God judge Egypt when the messenger made it impossible for that whole nation to believe? Perfect opportunity lost.

Critical Thinking question: Had Abraham dealt righteously with Pharaoh and proven that Yahweh was the true God right then, is it possible that Egypt would have worshiped the same God and the Israelites would have not only been able to seek aid during the famine but been treated as brothers after it was over and would have never (according to the bible) been enslaved for 400 years? Is it possible? And would God have known and understood this if it was? And so whose fault is it that the Israelites were slaves for 400 years according to this missed opportunity?

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 11/5/2019 3:32:43 PM

Bless Up IPXninja,

I sight what the I is saying and what GARVEYS AFRICA is saying.

Still I say that the Bible is African, Israel is in Africa, the stories in the Bible are about Africa and African peoples.

Haile Selassie is well studied, He is Knowledge personified, JAH RastafarI. Knowing all that Selassie know still; H.I.M. Hail Up the Bible.

The RastafarI Incients are full of knowledge, wisemind, they know the "who"story of history, about the slavemasters and the Bible and how some Europeans did what they done and did... Still knowing what they know; many of the I them, the RastafarI Incients, have a special love and overstanding of the Bible.

JAH Guide InI
More Love and Life

Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 11/6/2019 6:39:44 AM

Just keep in mind that the bible isn't the only story to come out of Africa. And that the writers may not have intended the same thing that modern readers believe they understand.

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 11/6/2019 7:47:38 AM

Africa is the ORIgin of story, seen? Roots and culture.
The Bible is one of many stories, and One from many, yet one still as truth always Itinues, as the truth is Iternal.

Well if one doesn't know the history then the truth of the Bible will remain a mystery. So may we have the real eyes to see and realise the real lies that we have been told.

Selassie I

Messenger: Ignorant/Wise Rasta Youth Sent: 11/21/2019 2:12:01 AM

I&I give thanks for all dem answers
bless up

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 11/21/2019 12:06:13 PM

Yes Iyah, it is good to reason on how InI deal with the Bible.

The Bible can be read many ways. Many layers/levels and aspects to the Bible. There is the historical and cultural level, the political/law level, the religious and spiritual/yogic level, the astronomical and planetary level, and the mathematical level, the mystical level, and such.

For example: Both Hebrew and Greek are numerical languages. Each letter in their alphabets have a numerical value and a meaning. For example in Hebrew the 1st letter of the alphabet is "Aleph" and has a numerical value of 1, Bet is 2, and Gimel is 3 and so on. A common example given of how it works is the numerical value for mother (haim) and father (ab) equals the numerical value for child (yaled)

And then with each letter in Hebrew having its own meaning, multiple meanings even; then each word tells a story and each word has deeper meanings. So in one word there is a story, then how about a sentence, paragraph, and chapter? Stories within stories.

Yes I, there are many ways ones can read the Bible.

And whatever ye seek in it ye shall find it: If you seek hate in it, you shall find hate in it. If you seek love in it, you find love in it. If you seek slavery in it, you will find slavery in it. And if you seek mastery you will find mastery in it; for it is a double edged sword in that way.

And it can guide one to self-mastery; to make the two into one, to become Christ-like, InI true nature, one with JAH as Christ is one with JAH, Children of the Most High JAH RastafarI.

Blessed Love

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 74

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I