Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=7012&start_row=11

One-Way Ticket to Ethiopia

1 - 1011 - 19
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 11/16/2018 2:31:51 AM

I give thanks for the translation Iyah

One Perfect Love

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 11/16/2018 4:06:03 PM

Give thanks and praise for the vibrations.
Iman don't have a plan in stone but I am applying for a 3 month "tourist" visa. If I stay the course I will be leaving the first day of 2019 and landing in Addis at about midnight. Considering doing some couchsurfing with a local if possible or airbnb if need be. My amharic is little at best but I know the language structure and the fidel decently. I have an amharic keyboard on my phone, a translator, and dictionaries I've been using just to learn for my own personal interest prior to this decision. Putting all this together I'm hoping to be able to communicate at least minimally if no one speaks english. I hope to become fluent in Amharic one day though.
Currency exchange is one I've been unsure of still. Being that I don't actually have a profession I'm hoping to do some work possibly tutoring english since it is my native tongue. I've always been "well spoken" and "spoken properly" so much to a point in my youth I was ridiculed by other africans in my school for talking so proper lol. I can laugh at that now. But hopefully this is something I can achieve that will benefit those seeking to learn. I did go to a trade school a while back for auto mechanics so I could also get back into fixing cars.

I've considered that the government would be wary of someone traveling in and leaving for a neighboring country just to return. I've considered trying to make it into Ghana for a while if I need to leave Ethiopia or volunteering in another country through some programs like Jahcub Onelove made mention of, Give Thanks. (I also gave the I a call today. I apologize for keeping you waiting. I sent you a message as well so you have Iman number.)

I hope to meet other Rasta there who have made the trod to reason and learn from them also. I've never been to a Nyabinghi or tabernacle. Never seen an Orthodox Ceremony. There are many things I wish to experience, Jah willing. I don't know if I'll even be successful in my travels but I keep hearing His Majesty saying "No matter what may befall a human being he can always succeed in overcoming it in time if he has the strength of faith and praise to God, for inevitably He comes to the assistance of those that believe in HIM and those that through their work live an exemplary life."

Bless

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 12/4/2018 7:12:19 AM

Idren NewRas,
I had made a similar journey almost 3 years ago now. I did go with intentions to travel and decide on a place to settle, and decided very quickly upon being in Shashemene that this was the place. I was however very unprepared for the reality of the situation which is that financial income is an extreme necessity. The money saved up will go very quickly so please be careful of that. The best advice I have is to find an ongoing source of income. Do not make committments to stay until that income source is secured.
Other than that, enjoy Ethiopia! It will always be a place deeply loved by Iwomban. Going to Shashemene you will definitely meet Rasta people, in Addis not as much (not as dense considering the entire population of Addis) but there are still some.
JAH guidance and love

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 12/4/2018 7:39:43 AM

Give Thanks for the advice and reasoning Jah Child. Due to my visa I do not plan on settling this time around. My goal is to see Africa. Ethiopia is basically where I wish to start. Shashamane is definitely on my list. Possibly straight there from Addis after about a week or so. I do wish to find a way to the Northern Region to see the historical sites and hopefully some of the churches in the mountains of the Tigray region. Also Lalibela, Fasil, and Axum. I don't expect to do it all in one trip but I feel I should see and experience the land to truly know where is right for me to settle in the end. So after Ethiopia I hope to get to another African country for a while and continue to experience Africa.
In the end I've realized I need to first learn the ways and culture before hand so I can figure out how I can contribute to the particular community I will reside.

Blessed Love

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 12/4/2018 11:24:04 AM

Be cognizant of the fact that we Americans are subjected to an unconscious barrage of "exceptionalist" brainwashing our whole lives which tends to emerge when we are immersed in other lands & cultures where things are done much differently than in America. As a visitor in another culture, and especially as a Rasta, be respectful of different ways of doing things and different values systems. Consider yourself a student, not a teacher. Be humble at all times and it will be appreciated by your hosts. You'd be amazed how easy it is for Americans to unconsciously lapse into being the "ugly American" who deems himself or herself "superior" and American ways to be superior to those of their hosts. I&i mention this only because i have lived abroad for many years and still witness this behavior by Americans all the time. And i'm not just talking about jerks. i'm talking about good people who are just unaware of the ways in which they are acting out their subconscious "we Americans are better than everybody else" programming. i'm sure you be a good ambassador because you're not just representing America, you're representing RastafarI.

Bon voyage

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 12/4/2018 11:52:54 AM

NewRas,
i don't know if you're a trustafarian (i.e., well endowed financially) or not, but just as a general rule if you're travelling in Africa (or in any part of the developing world for that matter) it's best not to exhibit or discuss your wealth. Even if you are of modest means, this will still represent a fortune to a lot of people from poverty-stricken areas. So just play it cool for your own safety and so as not to inadvertently boast of your financial blessings to someone of lesser means. i'm not trying to be condescending here. When i was a much younger man i tried to help people in a poor country by bringing money and distributing it to them. It was well-intentioned, but it was a naive action of little benefit to the people i was trying to help. Even sharing a photo of your car or your apartment with a guy who lives in a plastic sheeting and plywood shanty can be kind of awkward.

Messenger: NewRas Sent: 12/4/2018 9:37:46 PM

Give thanks Nesta. A few naive years ago I was living in a ghetto in a capital city and learned this lesson the hard way. I ended up taking a bullet in the leg because someone mistook my kindness for weakness. I am far from a "trustifarian" (I like that phrase lol) but I could be much worse off. Give thanks for the advice and reasoning. Since I am generally a pretty private person these days I don't think that should be too much of an issue.

Concerning the American superiority I do not think that will be an issue (for myself anyway). I understand what you mean completely. I've traveled when I was younger (with family) and have seen this exact attitude come from others. As you said I'm going as a student and not a teacher. I don't expect Ethiopia, nor most of Africa for that matter, to be or to function as America. I expect to encounter trouble and difficulty but nothing that can't be overcome with the strength of the I-Mighty and trust in His Majesty. Blessed Love

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 12/4/2018 11:57:35 PM

You have a great attitude, NewRas. I&i sure it will be cool runnings for you all the way.

"May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields...
may God hold you in the palm of His hand."

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 12/4/2018 11:57:35 PM

You have a great attitude, NewRas. I&i sure it will be cool runnings for you all the way.

"May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields...
may God hold you in the palm of His hand."

1 - 1011 - 19

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I