Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6831&start_row=21

NONE Christian belliefs found TODAY in modern Ethiopia

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 47
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: IPXninja Sent: 1/16/2019 3:20:09 PM

I always thought (ignorant or not) that both the presence of as well as the lack of Christianity in Africa could be tied to the dark ages and the way in which Christianity spread by force. Christians during this period killed Muslims to the tune of (if I remember correctly) over 60 million. This makes what Hitler did almost pale in comparison. During the Crusades and Inquisitions you couldn't not be Christian and you couldn't differ with Christianity so much that it was notable.

Many people accepted Christianity as a front just to keep Christians off their back. Many people disguised their religion inside of Christianity. If certain African nations were trading with Europe it would makes sense to make a show of conversion or support Africans who were converting. There may have been political reasons behind many conversions, including the one involving Haile Selassie.

People used to make marriages to secure alliances so it shouldn't be far fetched to use a common religion to fulfill the same purpose. It could even be that the limited conversion in Ethiopia was enough to keep European jihadists from invading or trying to replace the government. After all, wasn't much of the justification behind colonialism that the whites needed to educate the African savages? And part of the reason they called us savages was because they said we were polytheists.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/16/2019 3:40:45 PM

"Many people accepted Christianity as a front just to keep Christians off their back. Many people disguised their religion inside of Christianity. If certain African nations were trading with Europe it would makes sense to make a show of conversion or support Africans who were converting. There may have been political reasons behind many conversions, including the one involving Haile Selassie."

I will go around quoting you and agreeing with you all day with pleasure. I'm glad someone is awake.

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 1/16/2019 5:49:21 PM

"There may have been political reasons behind many conversions, including the one involving Haile Selassie."

Haile Selassie never had a conversion to christianity. He comes from a long line of christians and Israelites. HIM born into a christian family and fully and truly embrased it, always giving thanks and praise to Jah and Iyesus Kristos, He found refuge, comfort, wisdom, guidance in their teachings and thats from His own words not mine. No conversions of Haile Selassie.

Bless

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/17/2019 1:59:38 AM

But he was taught it from an outsider and his throne was none Christian far longer than Christian. And being in line for the throne as a child there were clearly political reasons for him being Christian if not merely to attempt to unite Ethiopia under one commonality.

Haile Selassie also said a man's religion is his personal thing and one no more valid than another

I think we will never agree on this brothers.

But it's a joy to see how many Ethiopians have kept a hold of their original pre Christian cultures. Some being very interesting for me

Messenger: Jahcub Onelove Sent: 1/17/2019 2:20:33 AM

Haile Selassie had many teachers and priests who taught HIM. He had Ethiopian teachers also. He was not limited on His sources of knowledge, HIM study and study and He speaks for Himself. No matter how ones try and twist it, Selassies words have been recorded. So if ones really want to truly know about His life, they can read about it from His own writtings and speeches. What a great blessing that is!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/17/2019 2:56:50 AM

He had many teachers but specifically the religion teacher was foreign. I forgot the name but have documented it in the Bible thread.

It cannot be argued that His Majesty isn't Christian. The reasons why he is Christian can be. As can the relevance of His religion on InI Rastafari people.

Give thanks

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/22/2019 5:09:34 AM

It seems apparent that His Majesty was a Christian because that's what He chose to be. It was His will, not someone else's imposed upon H.I.M. One can accuse Haile Selassie I of a lot of things, but being a mindless adherent to religious dogma is not one of them. His Majesty clearly was no brainwashed stooge who didn't have a sound mind of His Own to scrutinize teachings and spiritual matters, and exercise His free will.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/22/2019 6:15:00 AM

It does seem this way on face value or for any normal person.

However, Ras Tafari Makonnen from birth was grown moulded and taught in a manner of preparation for potential Kingship. With this in mind he was not grown like you and I. He is not learning religion and math to learn religion and math; he is doing so with the potential of ruling the Country with such.

A country greatly divided by ethnic and cultural tribalism. As Ethiopians of all ethnicities were long acquainted with Ethiopian Christianity, there is no Doubt a mature Haile Selassie saw the benefit in an attempt to unite Ethiopia under the 1 banner of a shared religion. One which was already in place and already the national religion of the country but to further this in the spirit of unity; by producing an Ahmaric translation of the Bible and Ethiopian born (instead of Egyptian) Patriarch. With this the Church grew in number to almost 50% of Ethiopians claiming Orthodox instead of just Amhara-Tigreans as previous.

Not to mention the fact that borders and territory surrounding Ethiopia was always a hot battle. An important point being it's Neighbours were largely Muslim. Situations such as Eritrea are less likely to happen if the whole Country is Christian. Remember the influx of Islam into that side of Ethiopia through Yemen had being ongoing since the 7th century.

So to Haile Selassie. Being Christian isn't just a free personal choice. As a King of Kings; he knows everything he chooses, says and does; is with the the though of being the ruler of a Sovereign Ethiopia; with centralisation and modernisation at the forefront of His rule. Religion whether solely intentional or not would be a strategy which would both unify the Ethnic split of identity within Ethiopia, but also solidify Ethiopia against a foreign Islamic influence / threat from Yemen.

I believe that is also what brother XpNinja was referring to.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/22/2019 6:30:23 AM

In fact the attempt at centralisation under 'one banner' was so intense that Many people's who wished to reject Çhristianity and stick with their original traditions often felt oppressed.

The "RIST AND GULT" system of land ownership meant that land was often divided unequally in favour of Orthodox Christians when compared to none Chrsitians. Would you adopt a change in religion if it meant keeping your house and land? I bet you know many who would! ....

I encourage ones to read the original post.... This thread should be a sticky in my opinion.! how many of InI REALLY study traditional Ethiopian ethnic culture outside of Amhara and Orthodox Christianity.....

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/22/2019 6:40:18 AM

I&i don't disagree, G.A. Being a monarch as well as the human incarnation of JAH, I&i see many facets to His Majesty's decisions -- a myriad of considerations only fully understood by H.I.M. Hence, "It seems apparent that His Majesty was a Christian because that's what He chose to be."

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 47

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I