Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6708&start_row=1

Dreadlocks or just locks?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/23/2016 11:03:40 PM

so it came to light on a social media platform that many ones (maybe in the US especially) feel that there is a need to seperate the word dread from locks. 'Stop calling them dreadlocks as ones locks are not a sign of dread but a sign of joy' etc or 'Dreadlocks was a misnomer given as the white oppressor (and black upholders of the white oppressive system) first encountered InI with fear'.

Yes. I see a strong movemant to try and seperate locks from dread.

before i offer my thoughts and opinion (and you can imagine) what do the I dem feel? black brown and white members of the forum? Are people aware of the definition of dread? or the origins of the wordsound dreadlocks? should the prefix be removed?

Give thanks

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 11/24/2016 2:38:30 AM

I believe I may have seen that Facebook post and many of the responses. If not, one very similar. Actually, the one I saw took the reasoning into "locks" versus "locs".

Though the term "dread" is often used as a common point of reference that all can recognize (like "God"), I personally don't care for it. For reasons I'm sure you already know...LOL

And though not high on my list of battles we face in every day life, both individually and collectively, I overstand the nature, vibrations, energy and power of words, their subtle (and blatant) racist history and their effects on INI.

"Nubian Locs" just feels true and correct to I.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/24/2016 4:03:53 AM

Blessed for the response

Dread : 1 - to be feared.
2 - archaic meaning - to inspire awe and or reverence/respect.

Was the I aware of its archaic definition?

I personally feel the history attached to the fear aspect of the term in the sense of striking fear into white supremacy when they sight conscious uprising and black reconnection with roots IS a very important association which we must never give up to pretty up nothing. We must remember this is the very origin of the term dreadlocks.
The archaic definition is self explanatory and a beautiful one at that- Jah dreader than dread. They certainly inspire awe and reverence among InI

Maybe we should replace "fashion dread" with fashion locks as more appropriate phrase as by its definition. And reserve dreadlocks for those whi inspire awe/reverence as they break away from the chains if cultural oppression.

Although we disagreee give thanks for the perspective.

Any more from the I dem? A subtle prettying up of things and or disregard of InI hard fought history? Or nothing too sserious to concern over and a time to remove dread from our consciousness? As rasta own the term we must have a say

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 11/24/2016 4:16:05 AM

GIVE THANKS FOR THE BLACK DREADLOCKS GOD OF CREATION

HOLY EMMANUEL I

MULUNGU ALI NAFE

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/24/2016 4:22:05 AM

Short and sweet iah. Give thanks

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 11/24/2016 4:45:45 AM

DREAD N TERRIBLE

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/24/2016 4:49:40 AM

"What is good and pleasant in Zion is dread and terrible in babylon"

Literally

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 11/24/2016 9:47:30 AM

In I opinion, Dreadlocks are natural hair wheras '"locs" are twisty twisty manicured tings.

Messenger: Michael6420 Sent: 11/24/2016 10:39:34 AM

I agree. When I hear locs or locks, I think of "maintained" hair. I hear dreadlocks, and I think of something much more natural. What about the term "dreads" though? Any opinions on this?

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 11/24/2016 12:22:56 PM

Blessed Oneness All
Iwomban learned that the ancient Arabic name for the Sphinx at the Giza plateau is translated as "The Father of Dread". The Lion is the father of Dread. The name Tafari (Teferi) means "Dread One" or "Reverenced One", the meaning of the two words being similar as Ras Garvey I shared. Yes the natural locked hair is frightening and terrible to people acclimated to falsity, dread. The highdeas are all linked and to I the name is perfectly suited, Dreadlocks. With pride and more fyah for babywrong.
More Love Iyahs
Most I guide and Itect

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I