Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6663&start_row=11

All About Hair, Yogi Style

1 - 1011 - 18
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/26/2019 7:55:52 AM

Hail Idren + Istren

I fulljoyed reading this thread from the first post, thankhs to everyone who posted. Especially loved those quotes from Master Neb Naba! Very interesting.

Yes I think Ras Goddess' answer to zionmountain's question is true.. this video from Yannie shows how twisting and tightening causes thin, weak dreadlocks prone to breaking off:

Recently I have been having the hardest time trying to cover my hair. It has gotten so long and heavy, wrapping it is causing headaches. Even without using any covering but it wrapping it up in a coil on the top of my head, like the initial post from the Yogi describes, gives me a headache after a short time. I tried using an extra long locsoc, both open and tied closed at the bottom, both ways it just slips off my head. I tried tying a headwrap over the locsoc to try and keep it in place, but that didnt work and also caused headaches. Soon coming to the point where I just give up and leave my dreadlocks uncovered, if I can't find any solution! But I always preferred to cover especially for cleanliness reasons. I always do leave it uncovered at home, but when going out of the house I like to keep it clean by covering. I'm willing to try the BoboAshanti womban's "fall" but I don't know how it's done. Anyone with super thick, long, heavy dreadlocks have any advice?

Oneness + Love

Messenger: zion mountain Sent: 5/26/2019 3:17:29 PM

Yes mi bredda G.A dats what I know too.I never like crotching locks from one day but what some fashionsta say makes me wonder.

Jah Child and I share the same experience,when i coil my locks on my crown,i start to get a headache and neck pain,it feels like am carry a bucket on my head,maybe its about getting use to it.

Messenger: RastaGoddess Sent: 5/27/2019 9:52:50 AM

Greetings sistren, I’ve been growing I locs for 25 years now and have those thick Bongo locs. They’ve reached my knees (and I’m 5ft 9) four times, and due to neck, shoulder and headaches, trim them to my lower back. It was a tough decision at first, one that I struggled with for 7 years before physical discomfort won over ideologies.

I too keep them covered (or partly covered) when I leave my gates. I also work in the catering business and must keep my hair covered (hair nets don’t fit LOL) for a good 10 hours during the day. I coil mine and wrap on top of my head, much like we see our traditional Afrikan sisters do with buckets. Keeps I-wombman well balanced 😁;. Even when I’m home, after several hours of having them free, I end up putting them up in a bun to keep my head from inevitably going backwards ...LOL! One gets tired of constantly swinging them to the side to sit down, or keeping them off the floor when reaching to pick up something. Not to mention having raised children (and now 2 grandchildren) who love nothing more then yanking and playing “horsie” with them...LOL. So, up and down, up and down is the rhythm of my “hair days”

The years, length, weight, combined with nuff fabric from headwraps has caused thinning around the edges, which I keep at a minimum by using Apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, etc...

All that to say...I feel you! I’ve struggled with the same. I stretch my neck daily, several times throughout the day to keep headaches away. But I know no way to minimize the weight of a headwrap full of heavy locs...

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/28/2019 4:04:00 AM

Thankhs for the advice ZionMtn and RasGoddess!
Yes Sistren I can relate with so much of what the I said. I joke sometimes that I need a disciple to carry my hair for me, like I have seen with the Nagas and Yogis 😂; Til then... haha I will let the I know if I come to any solution... I have started braiding my dreadlocks when I am practicing asana. This at least helps from the locks falling all over the floor and also it doesnt give me a headache. But it isnt a solution for keeping them clean when I leave my home. So still searching on that one...
Ites Love + RASpect

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 5/28/2019 12:25:45 PM

I know Rasta who experience such and end up chopping they locks. Only to immediately restart the deadlock process from fresh. No judgement.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 5/29/2019 6:30:49 AM

Seen GA, no judgement indeed.
Yet Iwomban dont think that is the path for me. I would rather leave it uncovered and free flowing and it get dirty, have to wash it more often, and so on.. than to chop it off. Since I was about 14 years young, I have had a vision of my future self as an Incient womban with hair reaching the earth, of my Incient self walking barefoot and leather skinned in a purely natural environment as a shaman womban. This was long before I ever even heard the word 'RasTafarI', yet I knew that one day I would stop cutting my hair. So I feel I have been fulfilling this prophecy of Iself since then, in small or large ways. Maybe it is my choice to fulfill it that leads me closer to that vision, a self-fulfilling prophecy. Nonetheless I do think I was given that vision for a reason, and trodding the path to fulfill it will bring me to where my life path is meant to go. My long hair is a cherished gift to me, even if I do struggle with the weight of that gift.. literally haha. Like the initial post of this thread explains, I see my hair as an energetic and spiritual benefit and I will not cut it.
But I do see why some people do cut or trim. And that is fully their choice, Iwomban have no judgement for that.
Oneness + Love

Messenger: Black Christ Salvation Sent: 3/7/2020 1:56:48 AM

JATA

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 3/21/2020 11:55:52 PM

From the origional post here:

"Left uncut, your hair will grow to a particular length and then stop all by itself at the correct length for you"

This is interesting because my hair stopped growing just above waist, including a precept that dreaded up by itself. I am very athletic so glad I dont need to carry too much weight. I am curious though what it means if ones hair stopz growing at a certain lenghth or never stops.

I seen a video of Damian Marley put his hair in a backpack when playing soccer. Maybe thats more comfortable JAH Child!

1 - 1011 - 18

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I