Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=6020&start_row=1

Meaning of dreadLocks

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 24
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 3/15/2015 7:12:19 PM

Greetings

To I; Locks are an outward expression of an inward covenant. A livity

I see the comb and razor as babylon tools of separation. Cutting and separating oneself from the self. The comb and razor are man-made, designed to create vanity via styled fashions that take away from natural processes.. I have always thought it was amusing when people say that they have short hair because they like not having to 'style' or maintain it... Ha! I tell them that Natty Locks are the absence of styled maintenance. And that by cutting, they are creating a 'look' unfamiliar with nature, thus styling and maintaining their hair 100% more than any Natty Dread..

An example I like to use: Imagine that each hair on a ones head represents a different person.. Left to JAH, the hair naturally wants to join together and become much stronger.. Lock. Each Lock is different and special in its own right[representing the different cultures of people]. Without separating the individual Locks, many will become married and grow forth bigger and stronger. The comb and especially the razor are representations of the system; an invasive measure to instill separation, confusion, and weakness.. Many people who use the system[within this example] bounce around from one look to the next, never knowing their own identity.. All the while, the un-styled Natty Dread never strays away from self identity. Always rejecting the system and allowing JAH to be the guide.

I have not grown the Locks; the process of Locks have grown I.

What are the perspectives from the I's?

Bless
One Love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/16/2015 5:56:36 AM

The comb has been around since predynastic ancient Africa.....

And in nature, many different species will instinctively 'groom' themselves

For I, locks are an outward expression of I african CULTURE. Locksman always had a certain significance from Inciency to recent Istory. And a reminder that I cannot worry about things like hair'style' from I don't work for people and have to bow to any boss other than his majesty.

RasTafarI

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 3/16/2015 8:49:24 AM

Praises
I appreciate the I's perspective. Locks are an intrinsic part of African culture and spirituality which is the I GARVEYS AFRICA's Livity.

Locks have also been present within IandI ancestry[Scottish, German, and Native American]. Positive ancestral roots are beginning to be reconnected through IandI natural manifestation of Jah covenant and Locks. Never bowing to the thousands that resist this process.

GARVEYS AFRICA: Yes I, the comb has been around a long time. I also agree that grooming is natural.

I see cleanliness as an aspect of grooming. A one can 'groom' without removing or forcefully separating hair.

Bless
One Love

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/16/2015 10:45:40 AM

Blessed I I

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 3/17/2015 2:46:40 AM

I man hair is de outer manifestation of Black pride & ital livirty. It is also a crown of life dat I wear as a symbol dat I offerd I self as a livin sacrifice unto Almighty creator & it is a resistence against de mark of de beast. It helps I to connect to I ancestors & mama nature thus uplifting I irits & keepin I away from vanity. I keep I hair natural such dat it locks by itself. No dye, no chemicsl, no comb, no razor, no dead hair on I head. I use herbs to wash I head. One Black Love

Messenger: Sister Sent: 3/17/2015 5:09:23 PM

GIve thanks for the locksman and woman, I am drawn to locks because they look good so vanity argument done a circle, though true its what they represent that is attractive. People quote Morgan's Heritage 'you dont haffe dread to be rasta' - I think you HAVE to be DREAD, 100%, but not necessarily have matted hair. I think hair is important, its an extension of the nervous system, part of the identity / cultural heritage, so let it grow, though am not certain what difference it makes whether its locked or not. If its about being set apart visually, there are so many people with locks that are not Rasta it doesnt make so much of an impact these days to say its a rejection of the system. LOVE locks, but wouldnt say they are key to Rasta heights of livity. Instill dread in the HEART of the sinnerman.

Blessed always.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 3/17/2015 7:32:53 PM

Ilafully xplained. Ivers the Morgan heritage comment, I never agree with that song either. Some people particularly in America even argue against the DREAD and prefer to call them locks. I man have locks but I well dreadful without an apology in babylon.

Haile up sister
IRIE I

Messenger: Hemphill Sent: 3/17/2015 9:09:37 PM

Yes Iman. I tend to call them Locks because I do not cite them as being dreadful.
Most people where I live use the term dreadlocks because that is the most common term and they do not think of alternative names because they DO cite them as being dreadful.
Locks are becoming more accepted but only for the 'neat' manufactured dreads. IandI Locks are natural and thick.
I enjoy seeing the reaction of babylon mind-set people when they see and are disgusted by I. It gives I strength to know that demons hate I.

Bless
One Love

Messenger: Empress Blogger Sent: 3/18/2015 1:06:42 PM

I didn't want my response to be influenced by what I read. So I read the first one then started answering. For me as an Empress My locks represent.

Love
    Unity
    "Overstanding"
    Separation from Vanity
    Africa
    Roots and Culture
    Jah Truth
    Evolution
    Struggle to freedom
    Connection to Jah
    Inner Strength
    Natural Beauty

Give Thanks, King Selassie I.

Read the ebook
"Rasta Way of Life"

Messenger: Black heart Sent: 3/20/2015 9:59:48 AM

Give thanks to ones & ones fe de uplifting word sound dat encourages RASTA to itinue having de crown of life without apology. Some say yu don't haffe dread to be a Rasta but I say once yu feel de Rasta Irits yu will find it essential to let yo hair grow naturaly & freely. Dis will eventualy lead to yu either making dreadlocks of yo hair or leting yo hair grow naturaly & freely until it form dreadlocks by itself. RASTA don't conform to de beast just wear yo locks without fear or apology. Raspect

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 24

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I